car shakes at 50-60 mph

zeener96

Established Member
Anyone have any updates here?

I have an 03 vert with the same problem. I have vibration from a slow 10-15 cruise, and especially pronounced at 60 mph.

I notice the tires are flat spotting from the car sitting a couple days, not sure if this is normal or not?

After driving it a little while the tires seem to smooth out, but I still have bad vibration at 60 mph.

I jacked the car up tonight and tugged on the front wheels, I don't notice any play. I am ready to give up....the thing about shakes itself to death when you are driving it.

sabredog

Established Member
well here's an update on my car.i tried new frt wheel bearings and it did not help.still intermittent rough feeling at 50-60 miles an hour.car is very inconsistant ,sometimes worse than others.i tried ordering the latest part number driveshaft for an 04',mine is an early 03'model.installed the driveshaft with high hopes and another waste of money.i hope someone is still working on their vibe,i'm about to give up.

merp

Captain Insane-o
Established Member
It's all bushings. I've owned a 97 'vert that did this, and my '03, which started at 12k miles, and both were solved by going to urethane suspension bushings all the way around. There's a nasty chassis harmonic at roughly 100km/h that happens to be near the natural frequency for the particular durometer bushings Ford used. Once they start to collapse (which takes all of two years), it gets worse and worse. Adding full-length SFCs helps as well, if you don't already have them.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
I have an 03 vert 30k miles with the same 48-55MPH shimmy in the wheel issue as well. I'm going to be replacing in order, one part at a time... :

Compelte IRS bushing kit(AC427cobra 's kit).
Inner/Outer CV joints.(idea from driveshaftshop.com)
Steering rack bushings(MM)
Adding rear MM spring isolators
Front and Rear wheel bearings.
Roadforce balance wheels/tires.

I'll be doing this in about 3 weeks. I'll post up what I find.

huben94

Established Member
Hello,

I finally got my vibration really close to being gone, it took the dealer three times to get it really close but I can live with a very minor vibration. Don't give up on the Girl yet.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I also have slight vib. When my car was on the dyno i could see wobble in my rear rims, cheap casting I guess. My stock rims I didnt have any vib tho.

So maby its cheap rims?????

vipergts281

Established Member
I also have slight vib. When my car was on the dyno i could see wobble in my rear rims, cheap casting I guess. My stock rims I didnt have any vib tho.

So maby its cheap rims?????
Going by the pic in your sig, you have Saleen rims.

Real or replicas?

I have replicas. I have heard that they are not perfectly round. Probably some truth to that. Friend of mine bought them and took them to get tires mounted, guy mounting them said they weren't perfectly round. He sent the rims back.

I just had 2 new tires mounted the other day. There is a huge wheel weight on them. Can't be a good sign.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Just a follow up guys..
I had this vibration with the STOCK k-member and the exact same results with an aftermarket K-member, using springs/spring perches..

I replaced my steering rack bushings this weekend with some Poly bushings(much harder) from www.lethalperformance.com, and my problem went 100% away.

I've heard of one or two other folks trying this, so I gave it a shot.. worked great.

vipergts281

Established Member
Just a follow up guys..
I had this vibration with the STOCK k-member and the exact same results with an aftermarket K-member, using springs/spring perches..

I replaced my steering rack bushings this weekend with some Poly bushings(much harder) from www.lethalperformance.com, and my problem went 100% away.

I've heard of one or two other folks trying this, so I gave it a shot.. worked great.

I thought the aluminum where the ones to buy?

These....
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-10485/mmst-7-maximum-motorsports-mm-aluminum-rack-bushings-stock-k-member.html

fink46

Established Member
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had any updates on the steering "vibration"? I done searched and this is the only thread that had the same symptoms my vert is having.

So far I have had the tires (high speed balanced) with new rims and tires no change. Installed new maximum motorsport aluminum rack bushings along with a four wheel alignment at Ford dealership helped a little. I jacked the car up and checked for bad tierods and ball joints thinking one might be bad it all seemed tight.

I saw there was a tsb for this and Ford suggested sub frame rails to be welded in I guess maybe that should be the next install, but I want to get some opinions if any one else has had a solution to this vibration thing its got me baffled now.

It only shakes bad when cold and then goes away but I noticed when I had the car out today on the interstate at about 55-65mph it started to shake the whole car I thought a wheel was falling off lol.

Users who are viewing this thread