Cobra Mustang IRS Delrin/UHMW/Alum bushing kit w/adj. sway bar links & bumpsteer kit

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
1999snake said:
Bruce,

Do you have any complete sets available right now?

I want the whole kit and the 14 mm bolts.

Please email me at [email protected] since svtperformance.com doesn't send me reply emails.

Thank You

Kory B

Kory:

Email sent!

427Windsorman said:
Bruce, would there be any advantage to using 9/16ths Bolts, as opposed to the 14 mm? I know I saw a thread about using a 9/16ths bolt in the Terminator Suspension forum. I wanted to get your take on that. I will likely be purchasing a complete kit from you in the near future :) here is the thread I am referring to: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331799&highlight=9/16+bolt My goal is to do the Red Pill, but use your parts in place of the MM parts: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231900&highlight=red+pill

IMHO it should not be a problem using the 9/16" bolt? If, it fits in the aluminum inner sleeve on my kit? If it doesn't you just need to drill out the inner sleeves a little bit? I sized the inner sleeve to fit the 14mm Ford bolt nicely.

9/16" = .562" Hardware standards make the bolts slightly smaller than that dimension. How much? I don't know? You'd have to measure one? 14mm = .551" That's only .021" of a difference. Granted, that's not a lot? Worse case scenario would be you'd have to drill the I.D. of the aluminum sleeve out a bit?

Hope that helps?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just wanted to let you know the bores on the front inner sleeves are .578" so there should be no issues using the 9/16" bolts IMHO.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Just wanted to let you know the bores on the front inner sleeves are .578" so there should be no issues using the 9/16" bolts IMHO.

Thanks for the info :coolman:

andrewb70

ac427cobra,

I am interested in the aluminum front diff supposrt bushings. Can you please send me an email?

Thanks,
Andrew
andrewb at speakeasy dot net

nrmustang

Established Member
I would like to order the whole kit, with the polyethelene? cradle bushings and the 14mm bolts, in other words the WHOLE kit.

Do you have any sets ready to go out?

Please let me know

Nick

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Andrew, I will be emailing you.

Nick, I pm'd you! :-D

Sorry for the delay. With the email notification turned off I don't always remember to get back in here and check! :(

Bruce

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
Is it best to just remove the IRS completely from the car or drop it and replace the bushings while its sitting under the car? Is there a write-up?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Turkish said:
Is it best to just remove the IRS completely from the car or drop it and replace the bushings while its sitting under the car? Is there a write-up?

Removing the entire IRS makes the job MUCH easier.

Instructions are included with the bushing kit but a lot is assumed in the instructions I have compiled. I leave things out like jack car up, remove driveshaft etc. If you don't have basic knowledge working on your car you will need to ask the assistance of a friend who does. Two heads are always better than one. Four hands are better than two.

If oil changes are the most invloved thing you've done on your car, you're better off having a shop do the install.

The instructions are pretty basic and straight forward. I'm always around for questions via PM.

Let me know if you have any more questions?

Sorry it took a while to get back to you on this! We were in SC for the weekend visiting friends!

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
After installing these I would say..........

One, is that your instructions say how to INSTALL the bushings, but didn't talk about dropping the IRS at all. This could just be because it's not the most current set you have at this time, however. None of the blue bushings.

These instructions worked well: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231900
Personally, I used this just to make sure I didn't forget anything, but some people might actually need them. Regardless, there's a good list of torque values for reference. To remove the differential I had the entire assembly on jackstands, supported the differential with a jack, and then removed the dogbone/cross-brace/bolts/bushings from the ears, then the bolts from the rear mount. Then I lowered the differential and worked on it in a different area. (well actually I unbolted it while holding it up with the other hand, but the jack makes it easier because it IS pretty unwieldy)

For removal of the bushings I used the MM tool for the subframe bushings, and just a drill to remove the control arm bushings. And of course I used a reciprocating saw with a metal blade to cut through the sleeves carefully. Then, a hammer and flathead screwdriver to bend the sleeves so they'd pop out.

I would say that if you can comfortably install springs in your IRS equipped car and install c/c plates without wincing as you drill the first hole, then you can do this swap.

BRUCE, I picked these bushings up from another guy who sold his Cobra and didn't need them..... So I can fill out your survey and send it back to you, or I could just send a PM-let me know.

ALL, These bushings are a great value and I am very comfortable with the materials they are made from. They required VERY LITTLE fine-tuning before installation. Two thumbs up!

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
gregscott said:
After the irs was installed the whole procedure was pretty cut and dry, well maybe a couple of beers. Just remember everything takes time. This is not a one man operation, although I did, I don't think I would do it again. The MM sub frames need to cut for clearance. not much but enough that it will need a little welding to maintain the integrity of the sub frame to frame attachment. Use your own judgement. I wouldn't bother going back to MM, although there products are top of the line they will not recommend any mods to there product. I will get the car on the lift for some pictures if any one is interested.

The only minor interference I had was to move the subframe forward and then up into place, instead of sliding straight back, but that was from the mount itself, the MMFLS's didn't interfere. Probably depends on who installed them I'm sure.

I will agree that this isn't a one man job...but I make any job a one man job and did it myself as well. It did take me three days, but I blame that on being really sick the whole time.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Old Rhinebeck said:
ac427cobra
I am interested in a complete kit. Please PM me as I have a few questions.
Thanks,
-Palen

The kit is VERY nice, you won't regret it. It makes the IRS feel like a million bucks!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
JPIStang said:
After installing these I would say..........

One, is that your instructions say how to INSTALL the bushings, but didn't talk about dropping the IRS at all. This could just be because it's not the most current set you have at this time, however. None of the blue bushings.

These instructions worked well: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231900
Personally, I used this just to make sure I didn't forget anything, but some people might actually need them. Regardless, there's a good list of torque values for reference. To remove the differential I had the entire assembly on jackstands, supported the differential with a jack, and then removed the dogbone/cross-brace/bolts/bushings from the ears, then the bolts from the rear mount. Then I lowered the differential and worked on it in a different area. (well actually I unbolted it while holding it up with the other hand, but the jack makes it easier because it IS pretty unwieldy)

For removal of the bushings I used the MM tool for the subframe bushings, and just a drill to remove the control arm bushings. And of course I used a reciprocating saw with a metal blade to cut through the sleeves carefully. Then, a hammer and flathead screwdriver to bend the sleeves so they'd pop out.

I would say that if you can comfortably install springs in your IRS equipped car and install c/c plates without wincing as you drill the first hole, then you can do this swap.

BRUCE, I picked these bushings up from another guy who sold his Cobra and didn't need them..... So I can fill out your survey and send it back to you, or I could just send a PM-let me know.

ALL, These bushings are a great value and I am very comfortable with the materials they are made from. They required VERY LITTLE fine-tuning before installation. Two thumbs up!

Jon:

Thank you for the positive comments. I also appreciate the feedback regarding the instructions. I look at the project from a completely different point of view because I had the IRS out of my car about three times and just assume that would be the first thing you do? I will take your advice and be a little more specific about how to go about preparing for the installation and modify the instructions! :-D

Old Rhinebeck said:
ac427cobra

I am interested in a complete kit. Please PM me as I have a few questions.

Thanks,

-Palen

Palen:

I can't PM you until you have a MIN of 5 posts (I think it is?) So go somewhere on the forum and whore it up a bit and send ME a PM!??! :poke:

JPIStang said:
The kit is VERY nice, you won't regret it. It makes the IRS feel like a million bucks!

I try to tell people how much this kit will change the handling on their car and until you personally experience it, it is very difficult to explain the immense improvement. :rockon: The bump steer is really important with the addition of these bushings. The efficiency of the IRS is raised so high that you can even make it better by bump steering it. Who ever thought a Mustang could handle like a Porsche!??! :pepper:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
subscribing and TTT for ya.

Nice quality looking package for a great price. I will be contacting you in the next few months so I can have this done before I take my car back to the strip and road track.

Users who are viewing this thread