Craftsman 270 pc 3 drawer mechanics tool Chest

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
this deal comes around every 3 years or so...so if you need a decent set this is the one

http://www.sears.com/grid/p-00904452000P?adCell=apiGrid_1_00904452000P

online price: $129.99
toolset.PNG

Reg Price: $299.99
New price: $114.99

Blown 89

Established Member
Not cool...not cool at all. I'm moving my dad's old empty toolbox into the race trailer tomorrow and I wasn't wanting to spend any more money.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Just a little caution, Craftsman tools you purchase today aren't the same quality USA made tools from 15-20 years ago. I had a bunch of tools stolen (all craftsman from the 90's). Fortunately it was partially covered by insurance and I was able to buy a 1500 piece Craftsman kit (2003 time frame). The replacement non-USA tools are noticeably different. The sockets aren't as deep, the chrome is lower quality, and the fit is worse.

I get pissed off everytime I grab one of the "new" tools out of my box. Unfortunately the goons made off with most of my SAE sockets and wrenches, including my favorite long reach Craftsman Professional wrenches.

I'd compare Craftsman against Kobalt and Northern Tool, since the quality is about the same now. Kobalt wrenches are actually better.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
They had a great sale on tools and boxes a few weeks ago too. I picked up a cabinet/chest combo and a 300 pc mechanics set. I've never had a proper toolbox and tools are always scattered all over the place and getting lost. I started organizing the box last week and came up with 4 or 5 3/8" ratchets and no fewer than 15 10mm sockets in varying shapes and sizes. I think overall I have enough tools to properly outfit 2 or 3 boxes.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Just a little caution, Craftsman tools you purchase today aren't the same quality USA made tools from 15-20 years ago. I had a bunch of tools stolen (all craftsman from the 90's). Fortunately it was partially covered by insurance and I was able to buy a 1500 piece Craftsman kit (2003 time frame). The replacement non-USA tools are noticeably different. The sockets aren't as deep, the chrome is lower quality, and the fit is worse.

I get pissed off everytime I grab one of the "new" tools out of my box. Unfortunately the goons made off with most of my SAE sockets and wrenches, including my favorite long reach Craftsman Professional wrenches.

I'd compare Craftsman against Kobalt and Northern Tool, since the quality is about the same now. Kobalt wrenches are actually better.
This!

Craftsman quality went down to what it was before. They’re MFG by Apex I believe which also make Husky and Gearwrench.

Either way, this is not a bad deal just dont expect to last as much or be as good as Mac or Snap-On

Thump_rrr

Established Member
One criticism is that the 1/2" drive socket are nearly non existent.
They used to sell a set that was only sockets, ratchets, and extensions.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
This!

Craftsman quality went down to what it was before. They’re MFG by Apex I believe which also make Husky and Gearwrench.

Either way, this is not a bad deal just dont expect to last as much or be as good as Mac or Snap-On

I like the Armstrong stuff used at my work. Expensive though.

Personally, you can't go wrong with the tear drop Harbor Freight Pittsburg stuff.
I like their ratchet much better then the new Craftsman machines ones.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Its up to $159 now. :(
After tax and possibly shipping probably brings it closer to $200. Still a decent price for what you get and a box to store it in.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Unfortunately, be cause of what has been mentioned above I have pretty much written off new Craftsman tools as an option. I still love my old ones though.

oldmodman

Established Member
No longer available.

But I bought this kit last time around.
It is my loaner tool box. I never loan out any GOOD tools.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yeah, I used to love Craftsman stuff. It was noticeably better 20-30 years ago. I've gotten to the point where I'll just get HF, Kobalt, or Husky. You've got to sort out what is acceptable for the price.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You know what the remedy to low quality sockets is? Buy impact sockets instead. I have an impact socket set by Klutch. They're great with the impact driver and fantastic with a breaker bar or regular ratchets. I don't imagine they'll ever break or wear out with my usage of them.

I should probably check to see if they make wrenches, too. Although, I've been really lucky with my wrenches. None of them have failed on me. I have a super cheap set that I bought from the PX over 20 years ago that has been rock solid. I think all my other ones are Craftsman and a few Snap On.

I do have to give a small rebuttal and say that Kobalt makes some darn good tools. I have a few miscellaneous ones of theirs, and they've all been fantastic. So far, the only tool of theirs that hasn't been stellar is the retractable blade box cutter. And to be fair ALL of those type box cutters fail in pretty short order from my experience, regardless of manufacturer.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yep, the HF impacts are great. I also tend to stick with 6-point sockets vs 12-point. You tend to round the bolt heads less with a 6-point.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yeah, I used to love Craftsman stuff. It was noticeably better 20-30 years ago. I've gotten to the point where I'll just get HF, Kobalt, or Husky. You've got to sort out what is acceptable for the price.

Unfortunately, that's where I am too. I'm glad that my high use tool collection is essentially complete. There's not a lot of good choices out there for hobbyist grade American made hand tools.

I do have a HF tool kit on the boat. The marine environment is rough on tools. No need exposing good/expensive stuff to it.

Users who are viewing this thread