Craftsman Hand-Tools Now Made in China

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
Anybody familiar with Cornwell tools? Gearz did a segment about them awhile ago. Seemed like good stuff, I just don't know how they stack up to Mac or Snap-On as far as price.

What gets me about Snap-On is their reluctance to give you contact info for distributors that handle your area. I have a couple of tools that need repair, but I'm no longer in the automobile business. They just tell you to send it in directly to them. No thank you, I'd much rather deal with the driver directly and get a receipt when i hand my tools over.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Snap-On and Craftsman are what I grew up with, when I got older and had my own money to buy my own tools I chose Craftsman for the simple facts that they were American Made, easy to get and had rock solid quality backed by a 100% replacement guarantee.

I started to become annoyed with Craftsman when I would warranty out old tools that had become too worn to work well any longer and they would be replaced with lesser tools.

I replaced a standard 3/8" ratchet and got something back that had a plastic switch, button and C-Clip that was almost all the way out.

I kept breaking those replacements, knuckle busting anger. Eventually I got a manager that would allow me to put the credit to higher end ratchets.

They started bringing in the non-US stuff in the replacement tools.

I started to become upset with the replacement parts and then saw that it was moving into the standard lineup too.

Those changes helped me upgrade to the thin profile tools, the Professional line and my most recent purchases the Craftsman 'premium' 84 tooth ratchets which are REALLY nice.

Luckily all of my Craftsman Handtools are made in the USA, I got in under the wire.
I wont be buying direct from Sears or Ace or K-Mart or OSH any longer. Ebay has lots of Craftsman tools for much cheaper and you can choose the ones made in America.

Another experience I had with Chinese made Craftsman tools is their cordless 1/2" 200ftlb Impact wrench. I have gone through 6 of these damn things just doing the Suspension work on Aprils 96' and parting out three Mustangs over the course of just a year.

I exchanged the damn thing so much that the original $170+Tax that I paid for it went down to $120+Tax because they could not find record of the $50 dollar gift card that I used on it, so the last time I just said I want my money back. They would not give me Cash Back because the warranty time does not increase when you exchange a tool, so they gave me a gift card back for $120 plus whatever taxes were.

I have not bought anything since at Sears or any of its sister stores. Dealing with managers for hours multiple times to fix their systems mistake, a fix that never happened and cost me $50 dollars and hours of my time is not something I am very happy with. They treated me like I was trying to scam them each time.

Quality and US Brand of the Tools are gone.
Customer Service is Gone.
This Customer is gone.

The Snap-On Man is more than happy enough to sell to me when he stops by my Dads shop, Ebay sellers are more than happy to sell their Old Stock and good used USA Made tools to me.

Just my little rant.

Those premium ones look really good. I haven't seen them before. I may have to pick up a set. Problem is that they are basically the same price as a set of Matco ratchets.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
It is frustrating to see this but have been hearing more and more about it. Anxious to see what it does to their bottom line and whether nor not it will have a negative impact.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a set of the Craftsman Premium 84 tooth ratchets. Got them all three for $150 shipped using coupon code SAVE15. Hard to tell how much longer these things will be around.

grn8

Established Member
Im a big fan of craftsman I been a buying there stuff since I was 16 years old from Sears.. Most of my tools are made by them.. Thats a big turn off not to see made in the USA.. Couple guys at Sears have told they are going to stop selling Craftsman tools. Hmmm may b thats the reason..

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Another mistake, WTF are they thinking? Yes in the short run they may sell on the name. Stupid Americans.

I've got mostly Craftsman tools, but if they aren't made in the USA forget it. Won't be buying from them again either, and that's the only reason I go to Sears at all. Stupid.

Last edited:

Gibs07GTcpe

Established Member
I have noticed issues with the quality of the craftsman line in the recent years, but what irritates me more is that the warranty is not what it used to be. You used to be able to swap 1 for one, now they want to rebuild the one you have or give the inferior versions of it, or even better yet, not give a replacement due to BS about it only comes in sets and you can't get it. I still will buy the tools like someone said at the military exchanges due to price. ONLY if it is made in USA. I will buy a lot more expensive stuff to get the made in use on them.

Gib

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I thought they already where made in China, but good info.
Gotta stop buying craftsman.

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
Everytime I go to a store I try to find the Made in USA item of what I'm looking for. I may spend a little more but at least I'm doing my part. It's getting harder & harder to find USA made products though. It's really sad.

shurur

Established Member
Well..there's alway German/Austrian made tools..German/Austrian made cars...just saying..

PJM99

Established Member
I don't remember Craftsman ever being a high quality tool. Its nice that they are cheaper and have lifetime warranty. Perfect for the weekend warrior/backyard mechanics. Sucks they are no longer made in America but what else are you going to buy. You're going to go out and spend twice as much on tools from Snap-On, MAC, Matco, etc just to prove a point. Pretty sure they all have stuff that's made in China too. Welcome to the global economy!

rickrubin2

Established Member
I'm glad I have my tool collection which is all craftsman and was passed down to me from my father when is was 16...the tool collection will never be complete...but I have noticed the new flat heads are shitty and I break probably 10 a month and I have found that matco is really nice tools but they are very expensive

AZBOSS

Established Member
Thanks for the heads-up and comparison shots. Will be buying only the USA-made stuff or other company's stuff if not available.

Users who are viewing this thread