Craftsman Hand-Tools Now Made in China

NeoTokyo

Established Member
GT500RedStripe: I would rather it be Japan than China, at least they treat people better there and min wage is determined by the field that you are in.

Japan has a very good rep for providing very high quality products across the board.
The chrysler 300 is made in Canada, at least its still on this continent.

As far as how many parts are sourced from other places outside the US and even this Continent that go into any one car, its a shame for our economy.

I remember something back a few years ago about a cost analysis company releasing just how much it cost to make a 2007 Mustang GT (I dont remember if it was Base or Premium.) It was under $10,000 dollars. I dont remember the exact number but that was after paying for all parts and materials, R&D costs, paying your labor costs and advertising costs.

The basic S197 platform has been running for 7 years now so of course those figures from 2007 would be even less by now because the R&D side has been diluted by more units made.

For the new V6 the R&D was already completed in another brand and the Coyote was completed in record time keeping down cost for the new motor, keeping the same 100mm bore spacing and being able to use the same Assembly line also helped to keep costs low. This motor is also used in other vehicles, not just the Mustang.

So if total cost per unit is below $10k I would think that they could bring more jobs back home to us, source more parts and materials from us if not all. Does there really have to be such a huge profit margin?

I can sit and talk about this all day but I have to get ready for class.

Do some google searching to see if you can find those reports, I cant seem to find them right now but I will try again when I get home.

99cobra302

Established Member
i have a friend that works up at Sears headquarters. He isnt a car guy, or even have a collection of tools, but he was unaware of the change. I saw him last night and brought this up. He will see if he can find out any more info.

lunatikgixxer

Established Member
This is really going to kill the sales for craftsman. I also use their tools. Just look at everybody on this thread who said they arent going to buy from them anymore, theyre ****ing themselves.

svolighting

Established Member
man that sucks....we all know that the made in the USA craftsman tools are quality made tools....

so now when we shop for craftsman tools we will need to be selective on what we buy..

just like when we shop at harbor freight.... because some are good tools and some are junk...

Last edited:

suby_do

Established Member
snap-on mac an matco FTW!!! 10x the quality of a craftsman and your supporting local tool truck owners, not sears.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Sk and Armstrong tools are made in the US, Armstrong can be bought through Sears although I have not personally seen them in their stores. SK went through a tough time a couple of years ago and have just recently started shipping tools again. I spoke to a rep last year and was told to please be patient with them as it would take some time for them to get back up to production. We were a SK distributor and had very little returns for warranty.
Armstrong is part of the Apex Group. They own Gearwrench, "which is not made in the US" KD tools, Allen and Cooper Tools just to name a few.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sk and Armstrong tools are made in the US, Armstrong can be bought through Sears although I have not personally seen them in their stores. SK went through a tough time a couple of years ago and have just recently started shipping tools again. I spoke to a rep last year and was told to please be patient with them as it would take some time for them to get back up to production. We were a SK distributor and had very little returns for warranty.
Armstrong is part of the Apex Group. They own Gearwrench, "which is not made in the US" KD tools, Allen and Cooper Tools just to name a few.

My Dad has an older Armstrong ratchet and it seems like a pretty good piece.

nycarpenter

Established Member
Craftsman tools are middle of the road tools at best. it was and still is the return policy and price that put them in most tool box. Ford will need to make Mexico part of the U.S 50 soon to consider themselves a U.S car manufacturer. This is way of the world! As sad as it is this is how things get done. Sears is on the way out and over the past 10 years has cut every corner possible to turn a profit so craftsman tools made in China was just another way to try to make a buck :)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Craftsman tools are middle of the road tools at best. it was and still is the return policy and price that put them in most tool box. Ford will need to make Mexico part of the U.S 50 soon to consider themselves a U.S car manufacturer. This is way of the world! As sad as it is this is how things get done. Sears is on the way out and over the past 10 years has cut every corner possible to turn a profit so craftsman tools made in China was just another way to try to make a buck :)

It's a similar business model to what the Big 3 used over the past 30 or so years. Look where it led them in the 2000s. I doubt it Sears will find anymore success than GM did with it.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
So this might be why one of my new 1/4" drive socket wrenches just broke out of random.....

Thanks for bringing this up, off to sears I go to grab what I can thats still USA made.

I bet that the "kits" they sell have been made overseas for quite some time now. The Kit I purchased last year has a 7/16" socket that is stamped on the wrong side, the stamp is on the opposite of the ratchet (backwards) and Ive broken two of the 1/4" drive ratchets already as well.

I think at least 80% of Craftsman customers bought for the sole reason it is one of the few brands you can just go pick up and not have to order. Bad move Sears.

I feel the same way.

Looks like Ill be buying snap on.

timbo3282

Established Member
Craftsman tools have been junk for at least 10 years - the old Craftsman handed down from my Grandfather and Father are good but the stuff I bought from the late 90s on broke way too easily. I've been buying Snap-On since a broken Craftsman ratchet left me stuck at 3AM.

A lifetime warranty is no good when the store is closed.

I have 2 Snap-On truck owner friends on speed dial now if I get stuck I have a repair/replacement right away and they sell new tools to me at a decent discount.

WHITE 94

I also bought and used craftsman tools. I guess I'll have to find a new tool source as well. For what it's worth I recently saw a segment on Cornwell tools which not only are made here in the states but the steel used for the tools is produced here as well which I thought was I nice little nugget of info to know.

Users who are viewing this thread