Dash/radio bezel vents rattle fix

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
This is a fix on how to stop your dash vents from rattling and driving you mad at the same time.

You need:

-Pair of hands
-Black RTV sealant
- OR Can of rubberized spray (might be a better option)

1. Take the shifter bezel out...just raise it up out of the way
2. Snap out the vent/radio bezel and pull it out (be gentle)

Apply RTV sealant on the spots shown in the pics below. The bezel and vents bracket are 2 seperate pieces..and they are held on by some shots of melted plastic. Problem is the melted plastic does not hold the vents bracket in properly, thus they rub against each other when the car is moving and causes the annoying rattle. What you are doing is making sure that the rub-points get some RTV inbetween them to shut them up.

Vents
2eyx4qw.jpg

Pull out of the way. Some may need a flathead screwdriver to help pry it out.
v5bxwp.jpg

Where to apply
5bed94.jpg

More
6saw6r.jpg

All around the vents bracket, and as you can see, I was a little generous :D
25gxqfp.jpg

To remove the vents, put 2 fingers in and push gently to pop out the vents...do this from the rear of the bezel
2zekkyu.jpg

Out
w12r02.jpg

Apply some RTV in these areas..moderation goes a long way.

2zdrk1l.jpg

15etp3k.jpg

Next, make sure the fins can move left to right freely..this will prevent some RTV from hardening and blocking movement

Ready to snap back
2qce7lt.jpg

Align it
124zbrk.jpg

The magic stuff I used
nvpg1.jpg

OR

41VdXoCyexL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Next step: Enjoy the silence!

***If this helped you, please submit a reply to let us know of your results :shrug: Thanks guys!

Last edited:

thetastelingers

eyem speshul
Established Member
Thanks.
I noticed mine rattling on the way home after I purchased it.

You should put arrows on the pics to show what edges you put the silicone on. I figured it out, but someone may ask about it.

Spoolx

Established Member
I cant really tell what edges you put the silicone, but this is something I will do it mine is rattling

i8urSS

Established Member
did this yesterday and so far so good. thanks for the write up. i would sometimes ride down the road with my hand on the bezel just to keep from going crazy.

Riceater52910

Established Member
lol good too know its not just my car that does this. After owning two f bodies i wasnt too bothered by it, but ill give this a try.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I just did this on mine this weekend. I used hot glue on most of it and the RTV on the vent registers. Works like a charm!

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
This fix kicks ass!!!

Thank you! My vents were rattling so bad I was ready to take my fist and slam the vents.

I used hot glue on the outside then the RTV on the pivot points. Totally quiet now!!!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Is it just me or is it difficult to see where the OP put the RTV?
Been wanting to do this for years but I just don't want to mess this up.
Thanks

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I must not have done something right because last week the noise came back. I drove it maybe a handful of times since the fix, but the glue must have separated.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Use RTV on all the "pivot" points.

Also one thing the OP does not do that I did is the side clips that secure the vent to the pivot points in the bezel were loose. I put RTV all over them too. I may have used a little to much RTV because the side to side adjustment is stuck. But I'm not touching it. The car is so quiet I don't want to risk the rattle again!!! Its seriously like a new car.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I did this, but something different. I had some female velco laying around and basically put it everywhere on the attaching area. It is very solid and doesn't ratter.

specter

Formerly jfox316
Established Member
I'm trying this tomorrow night, that rattle shit drives me insane. I've had 2 cobra's and both have that squeeky rattle noise.

Users who are viewing this thread