• Welcome to SVT Performance!

Does this look typical? (blown plug)

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by T800, Jul 7, 2012.

1. T800

T800 New Member Established Member

Hey guys,

Same old story, had a slight tick...got on the freeway..."WTF!?"...pulled over.

Question being, does this look typical? I was surprised at the amount of thread damage to the plug itself. Any insight would be appreciated.

Of course on the way back an autocrossed-out S2000 and a 2012 SS wanted to play. :fm:

Overall:

[​IMG]

And this one shows the strap hammered onto the electrode:

[​IMG]

2. 95PGTTech

95PGTTech New Member Established Member

check the threads on the head? I would be most concerned about the smashed strap (piston, valve, debris?)

3. T800

I agree. That was my reasoning for posting ,even though this is a somewhat "common" issue. That strap makes me think it hit the piston...

EDIT: Just got a better look down in the chamber...threads are history and it looks like somebody dumped a bunch of fairy dust down the hole. Assume it's what were once the threads in the cylinder head.

Also, seems to be a lot of oil on the plug and in the combustion chamber. Not gallons...but.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  4. T800

Does the ECU shut down fuel to that cylinder since there is no coil(spark)?

Reason I ask, can I drive it to the shop Monday or am I asking for trouble?

5. fbody83

fbody83 Z06 to Raped Ape Established Member

That doesn't look good and I would not risk driving it if there are metal shavings in the cylinder. Hope everything turns out ok.

6. T800

Thanks buddy...me too.

7. BLU3VN0M

BLU3VN0M SVT Addict Established Member

I wouldn't even attempt to start it, much less drive it, before i took the heads off to check out the piston. At the least you're gonna have metal shavings in there. I would much rather be replacing a few piston's and rethreading the hole than to be buying a whole new block because you threw a rod out the side after trying to drive it. just my .02

8. 04-OW-COBRA

04-OW-COBRA Member Established Member

This is a big problem with the Lightnings. Yes you can drive it if the distance isn't to far just make sure you disconnect the injector for that cylinder.

9. SVTDice

SVTDice Active Member Established Member

You can take one of those extendable magnet pen's and slide it down into the spark plug hole and see how much shavings you can get out, They may be shavings from the plug but I doubt it, I hope you get it all sorted out man!

10. KILRSVT

KILRSVT New Member Established Member

That sucks hope that doesn't happen to me after my auto x tomorrow

11. T800

Thanks for the support guys. Right after it happened I drove the car about 10mi on the freeway to get back home. I'm feeling like that piston is toast.

Here's a pic of the piston/"shavings"...best I could do...it's getting dark outside. (sorry about the crappy cell phone pic)

Suck:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. Cobra03SC

Cobra03SC New Member Established Member

Im sure that piston is toast, but now you have to look at saving the rest of them and the block. I would not drive it anymore untill the head is off and you can inspect it good. All it takes is a small peice of that stuff to screw up that cylinder wall and your eating a full set of pistons and a machine shop bill along side the bill from the heads...

13. mustanginky

mustanginky Active Member Established Member

Ring land might've gone with that electrode damage. Had it happen to me before on my gt.

14. T800

Went out this morning.

From what I can tell, that last pic is what the top of the piston looks like now. Tried to wipe off some of what looks like shavings from the head and they don't budge. I'm thinking the credit card is going to get its a$$ kicked come Monday.

15. Kwik03DSG

Kwik03DSG New Member Established Member

Piston is done... funny how the cylinder wall doesn't look scored after that, but the speckled areas on the dish look like detonation..

Were you in boost when that happened or just cruising?

16. 1wild-horse

1wild-horse Relax! I'm a Doctor! Established Member

fix the threads and pump the cylinder. they all look like that when they blow out. My father in law blew one on his v-10 w/ 83k. I took it to work and put a lock n stitch in it, he's been driving it ever since and now has 150k runs great. I'm sure it's fine.

BTW this is so commonplace anymore with 2v and 4v heads. done so many I've lost count, but NEVER had one come back or have a dead cylinder after the fix.

17. Blueline

Blueline Active Member Established Member

The plug looks all banged up from bouncing around in the well.

Get your self a boroscope so you can look in the cylinder / piston before spending any money and pulling anything apart. Once you get a good look in there and feel comfortable with your findings, move on to the next step. You may get off scott free with a new plug and on your way... $2.00 fix. Helicoil if needed.. etc. You need to investigate it some.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  18. T800

Maybe a pound or two. Was passing, no downshift, just added a little go pedal. You know how the boost rises a little when you add some pedal in 6th...nothing crazy.

Gives me some hope. The piston definitely looks jacked up though...

Threads are history for sure...I can see that much. Gonna have to Time-Sert or LocknStitch the head. Wonder if Harbor Frieght sells a borascope...

19. Brutal DSG

Brutal DSG Angry Turtle Established Member

X2 :beer:

20. Bdubbs

Bdubbs u even lift bro? Premium Member

Can someone explain to me what cause's this?