Does this look typical? (blown plug)

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
Good to know! Yeah it seems REALLY cheap...that's what I'm afraid of. My brother had to remind me I need a new coil and plug I was so excited over the labor price!! :D

How is your car doing now? How many mile since the insert? Rag on it much? Sorry for all the questions, but I am a Doubting Thomas whan it comes to stuff like this and always figure I am screwed.

i have 10k + miles on my insert. my car gets driven pretty hard and no issues to date. sounds like your ld tests came back good, i remember the punched in the gut feeling when i realized it wasnt an exhaust leak, terrible, just terrible! lol good luck with it.

T800

Established Member
yeah, I love all the guys that jump in and say "Cylinders toast" WTF? Internet mechanics at its finest.

Word. I can see why they go that route...but it definitely makes you sweat balls.

While as a professional technician I understand the sentiment about the internet, uneducated posting, and ill-informed posters, this was certainly one of those cases of "expect the worst, hope for the best." The fact that he made out so well is the EXTREME MINORITY. Based on the pictures and comments he previously posted, I would have expected catastrophic failure more times than not.

I would check my mileage versus factory maintenance, update the car to-date with FRPP-spec materials, and say ten prayers to the gods above that this Terminator made it.

Agreed. I thought/expected the worst. It's kinda funny with this particular car. I thought I needed a major front end rebuild...turned out to be a freak tire from Goodyear. Thought my oil cooler needed rebuilt...tightened the filter post to spec, good as new. This latest plug/head issue...so far so good. It has been an emotional roller coaster for sure.

ALL maintenance on this car has been done by Ford(minus oil changes, I'm paranoid about those and do them myself). I take good care of it, don't beat on it. But, when it's time to race...all bets are off and I hammer that thing.

i have 10k + miles on my insert. my car gets driven pretty hard and no issues to date. sounds like your ld tests came back good, i remember the punched in the gut feeling when i realized it wasnt an exhaust leak, terrible, just terrible! lol good luck with it.

Thanks man, posts like yours gave me some hope that I might end up ok. That and the fact that the Service Manager at the dealership said they do tons of them and have never had a single one come back. Don't know how I feel about Ford needing to do "tons" of 'em...but the not coming back part sounded good.

To be honest to everyone reading, I had resigned myself to pretty much being screwed and had big plans for a badass powerplant, revised heads, etc. A little disappointed it turned out ok. ;-)

T800

Established Member
Not to resurrect an old thread...but too often people forget to report back with info on a repair.

It has been two months, almost 5k miles and the insert is doing GREAT. I have run a full bottle of N2O though it and numerous 3rd gear freeway pulls. Drive the car almost every day.

My experience was a very good one and I would recommend the Timesert/Lock-n-Stitch method to anyone that has a similar issue. Thanks to everyone that shared information/experiences.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Wow, glad it worked out.

I had a co worker blast Ford of Bellevue, but it was a slightly different situation. (More of a used BMW that was sold from there that had mechanical issues that couldn't be resolved.)

I'm guess TMS or Blood that quoted you the 4k lol?

Lake city... Hmmm, know that shop too. At least they weren't trying to ream you for 4k. But dewayne can get carried away with his pricing too. Although, I like the shop and the work they do.

Users who are viewing this thread