E85 What you Need To Know!

96mystic#899

Established Member
swap in the works. $1.99 E85 in my area of NYC. and they always have it. spoke to the owner today and they get it from the exact same distributor always.
96 cobra, stock motor, aeromotive stealth 340, 90 mm lightning maf, still undecided about injector size. but i am sold.
thank you SVTP.

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
Just Switched over to be able to run both on my 04 with a switch of the tune.
147228.jpeg
20201010_080504.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
That an ethanol content sensor running to a gauge?

I'm converting to E85 soon, and I'm trying to decide if that sensor is worth it. I'm told an E85 tune will run 50-85% ethanol with no problem - so a quick test at our regular station once in a while will be sufficient. Further, by the time the sensor picks up the content, you're already burning what you're burning, so it won't matter . . . thoughts?

Dusten

Established Member
That an ethanol content sensor running to a gauge?

I'm converting to E85 soon, and I'm trying to decide if that sensor is worth it. I'm told an E85 tune will run 50-85% ethanol with no problem - so a quick test at our regular station once in a while will be sufficient. Further, by the time the sensor picks up the content, you're already burning what you're burning, so it won't matter . . . thoughts?

Your tuner will tune based on ethanol content with a margin for error. I'd never run e50, but my tune is good to about e70. I've never seen less than e82 at my pump and as high as e90. I've been on it almost 2 years. My roommates turbo fox has been on it almost a decade.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Bluetooth sensor to phone.
But you Should check at the pump with a tester and probably not go below 70

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Is that sensor on a parallel return line or is it in THE return line? Id like a way to monitor the E content in real time as well, even if I have to manually load tunes to compensate.

Reason I ask about its line is that I think that sensor is about a -6 in size in and out. The line I want to run back to the tank is -8. Also, what monitor system are you running?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that sensor on a parallel return line or is it in THE return line? Id like a way to monitor the E content in real time as well, even if I have to manually load tunes to compensate.

Reason I ask about its line is that I think that sensor is about a -6 in size in and out. The line I want to run back to the tank is -8. Also, what monitor system are you running?
The fittings on the sensor are 3/8". That's one of the reasons I put it in the return line on my set up.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an ethanol sensor from Innovate in my -8AN return line. You just need a -8AN to -6AN adapter on both sides of the sensor.

I suppose you could incorporate a Y block before and after the sensor and keep the -8AN return line on one side and run a -6AN to and from the sensor on the other side. But, I don't think it is necessary and is more work, parts, and money, than it's worth.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I have an ethanol sensor from Innovate in my -8AN return line. You just need a -8AN to -6AN adapter on both sides of the sensor.

I suppose you could incorporate a Y block before and after the sensor and keep the -8AN return line on one side and run a -6AN to and from the sensor on the other side. But, I don't think it is necessary and is more work, parts, and money, than it's worth.

If you are running big power with big fuel pumps, I would be concerned with restricting the flow on the return line by going from 8an to 6an. Seems like putting a couple Ts or Ys in the line and running to the sensor as a "bypass," and keeping the original size of the fuel return line in tact (as you suggest), would be the "right" way to do it.

Just writing out loud :)

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you are running big power with big fuel pumps, I would be concerned with restricting the flow on the return line by going from 8an to 6an. Seems like putting a couple Ts or Ys in the line and running to the sensor as a "bypass," and keeping the original size of the fuel return line in tact (as you suggest), would be the "right" way to do it.

I've been running twin 450's with the sensor in the return line for about a year with no issues. Probably isn't any different than the guys that run -8 feed and -6 return with no problem.

Plus my non-engineering brain would think there isn't as much volume going back to the tank as the engine uses some of it.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
This is direct from Fore innovations and I know a lot of people run their regulators. Can't say if there is any effect on other brands

"Affect on Return Fuel Systems
Built return fuel systems take a "ground up" approach to maximizing fuel delivery, and the measured losses are definitely a problem if used in the feed line on our high end fuel systems. The alternate sensor location is the return line, which could potentially induce a regulation error. Good news: we tested this sensor on the return line from an F2i regulator and picked up zero additional regulator error over a 240-1200 lph bypass range. FYI, here is the regulation error of our F2i, which is excellent. (don't expect these results from other brand regulators)"

Here is the link to the full page where Fore directly addresses inline flex fuel sensors and the affect of the fuel system:

Fore Innovations: Restrictive Flex Fuel Sensor?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member

I agree that at some point you would want a by-pass, but you might be running a larger return line as well.

For a typical street car, I don't think it's a problem.

I'm not sure what's considered big power, over 1000 RWHP?

I'm making 880 RWHP, but I run a triple pump set-up to minimize the fuel flow during normal driving.

I don't have fuel pressure problems with my set-up or power level.

One could try the sensor in-line first and the add a by-pass if necessary.

Monkeluv

Established Member
I know this is an older thread but I have a question would I be able to run just bigger injectors and bigger fuel pump on E85 just to get the tune I need and then go return style fuel system later? I heard it will start eating at the lines but not for a quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread