Ecoboost F150 - what you need to know

Dusten

Established Member
Changed my plugs at 60k because I had developed a slight miss under boost. 60k....

Only had the moisture stumble once and it was during a ****ing monsoon while towing. Dealer replaced under warranty.

Had 90k on the truck when sold, oil changed ever 5k on the nose. **** 3k oil changes.

Det_riot

Established Member
I thought I posted in this thread before. Strange. Anyways. About to roll 90k in my '13 Screw, did brakes at ~55k before I did a towing trio down to mustang week, did plugs at 75k because I developed a misfire in boost. Aside from that, basic oil changes every 7500 and did a filter around 60k and the truck hasnt skipped a beat.

Dusten

Established Member
A good prevention measure for the CAC fluid issue it to occasionally run the truck hard.

I wouldn't worry about cat issues. They are covered under the emissions warranty which far outlasts the standard warranty.
I had mine replaced when the CAC was replaced, as ford said its common for them to fail a few days after the issues with the cac and water. I drove the shit out of that truck and it never flinched. Great motor.

Maustang

Established Member
First off I would like to say I love my 2011 FX4 Ecoboost screw. That being said it has had its fair share of issues.

Issues:

I am on my 3rd engine at 58k miles. First engine burned a piston. The second broke a rod and made a quick access hole in the side of the block. The truck was tuned and I did have fresh plugs in the truck with the proper gap. I was also always very careful to put the proper octane fuel in the truck for the corresponding tune. I have no idea why it has ate 2 engines but frankly it scared me enough to never tune this truck again. Maybe the next truck I will but this one is staying stock until the day it is traded in.

Next issue: Electric Vac pump went out around 30k. Was about $400 to replace myself.

Front brakes were junk at 53k. No big deal here.

Front driveshaft broke a grease boot and sprayed grease everywhere under the truck.

Driver side turbo was leaking coolant. Ford fixed this and has not been an issue since.

120v power plug broke. Ford fixed this as well

As far as I know I have had more issues that anyone else I have seen on any forum. Not sure if I will go to an ecoboost gen 2 or a supercharged 5.0 for my next truck!

Did everyone miss the fact he is on his 3rd motor in less than 60k miles. At this rate it will take him 2 more to make it to 100k.
Or are we just going to ignore that and pretend it didn't happen?

Droppintwin if I were you I would go with a supercharged 5.0 atleast that way you will have an excuse why you motor took a crap.

I'm debating on doing the same with mine.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Did everyone miss the fact he is on his 3rd motor in less than 60k miles. At this rate it will take him 2 more to make it to 100k.
Or are we just going to ignore that and pretend it didn't happen?

Droppintwin if I were you I would go with a supercharged 5.0 atleast that way you will have an excuse why you motor took a crap.

I'm debating on doing the same with mine.

did you miss the fact that he said it was tuned? Theres a big damned difference between a bone stock motor letting go and a tuned one that burned a piston and then threw a rod.

Maustang

Established Member
did you miss the fact that he said it was tuned? Theres a big damned difference between a bone stock motor letting go and a tuned one that burned a piston and then threw a rod.

That's a pretty shitty tune if it ate 2 motors and he did nothing about it. Or maybe just shitty motors.
Especially to put a rod through the block.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
That's a pretty shitty tune if it ate 2 motors and he did nothing about it. Or maybe just shitty motors.

by that logic I guess there was a lot of shitty terminator motors out there too, putting rods through the block...we'll just ignore the boost level and tune aspect of those failures.

he clearly said he had no idea why he lost 2 motors so obviously a proper failure analysis wasnt done on either one and it sounds like nobody checked up on the tune either.

reminds me of the guy that lost 2-3 ecoboost motors in a row, all 3 of them bent/broke rods...dealer never bothered to figure it out it had an injector issue and was dumping enough fuel in that cylinder to hydro lock it

02_Lightning

Established Member
It was stuttering before the issue which indicated blown out spark. Thus, enough fluid built up and hydrolocked it.

It's sad to read all across the net where more and more of these engines are failing. What is even worse is that these same folks had dealer techs look at them and not address the issues correctly. Thus, blown engines and more money to line pockets at ford.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droppintwins

Established Member

Yeah Idk what to think. Overall I have alot of respect for livernois motorsports. (it was their tune). This was livernois motorsports response when I contacted them on the issue:

Dan,

I am very sorry to hear this. We have never had any failures related to our tuning to be honest. There are some well known issues with these engines that have caused catastrophic failures which are primarily situations where the throw a rod threw the block during a sudden acceleration condition such as merging onto a freeway or passing some one on the freeway from a steady cruise. This is a condensation problem that Ford has multiple TSBs for but no proven solution unfortunately. There is a ton of information and stories regarding these failures on the web and actually sites that are groups of people trying to go after the manufacturer for lemon laws and things of that nature because of the repeated engine failures they have experienced on bone stock trucks. Feel free to shoot us a good time and number you could be reached if you would like and we can give you a call to discuss this further.

Here is some additional information regarding this condensation issue below that explains the typical failures Ford has seen more in depth.

The only failure we have heard of currently is directly related to a well known and documented condensation issue on the 2011-2014 models. Ford has a TSB out for this known problem. The problem stems from the Charge Air Cooler (CAC). After it passes through the turbocharger, air is cooled by the CAC before it enters the engine. The Ford F150 EcoBoost is experiencing a buildup of condensation (moisture) in the air intake tube. If the driver suddenly accelerates, such as passing a vehicle or merging onto an interstate, the sudden change in the air flow rate through the CAC causes the engine to vacuum up all of the moisture inside of the air intake tube. If the amount of condensation that is vacuumed from the air intake tube is small, the vehicle will shudder. However, if the engine vacuums in a significant amount of condensation it can cause the engine to hydro lock and either bend a rod or throw a rod through the block.

I would ask them exactly what failed on the engine and also if your truck had been brought in for service updates to correct this condensation issue. We have not had any failures that were caused by our tuners

Thank you

Regards,
Anthony

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread