• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Felony eluding vs misdemenor eluding

Discussion in 'Donut Shop' started by trc46, Apr 1, 2012.

1. trc46

trc46 Layer of Pipe Established Member

What is the difference and what would a motorcyclist who runs from the cops in excess of 150 mph look at for charges I'm just wondering.

2. thepizz

thepizz OP is a faggit Established Member

Wondering...or referencing your Road Kill thread?

3. trc46

Just wondering what would happen.

4. oldmodman

oldmodman Active Member Established Member

He said he shut off at 130. And there were no police involved.

5. trc46

Having bad thoughts about what if and I think they would crush the bike because its paid off.

6. thepizz

thepizz OP is a faggit Established Member

I know. I posted in that one too. Just poking fun at the young buck...I mean, he's trying to buy the Barney car so I gotta bust his chops a little. Lol.

OP, j/k. Your my boy blue. And please be careful on that bike!

7. trc46

Haha my dads shar-pei is named blue , the traction control really saves me, theres been a few times were I would've spun out with out it!
    Don't hate hahaha

8. trc46

Can you guys see my signature pic?

9. Blade Runner

Blade Runner Texas; We'll kick ur ass! Established Member

At speeds like that, I'm pretty sure it'd be a felony charge, compounded by whatever other charges the officer can think of....

***I'm not an officer, nor an attorney. What I said may or may not be true.

10. mkb116

mkb116 I'm a speedaholic. Established Member

Absolutely felony. The bike would be the least of your worries. Your doing prison time or eternity in a grave when you rear end a pickup at 110. I've seen both.

11. svtcop

svtcop Pain Don't Hurt Established Member

+1
    OP should worry about being alive after some stupidity like that not what charge he's gonna catch.

12. RDJ

RDJ ZERO shits given Established Member

we can only hope they crush the bike. don't know who was on it, don't particularly care but hopefuly the judge would crush the rider under the hand of justice as well

13. Iceman II

Iceman II Right Behind You! Established Member

Sec. 38.04. EVADING ARREST OR DETENTION. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally flees from a person he knows is a peace officer or federal special investigator attempting lawfully to arrest or detain him.
    b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, except that the offense is:(1) a state jail felony if the actor has been previously convicted under this section;(2) a felony of the third degree if:(A) the actor uses a vehicle while the actor is in flight;(B) another suffers serious bodily injury as a direct result of an attempt by the officer from whom the actor is fleeing to apprehend the actor while the actor is in flight; or(C) the actor uses a tire deflation device against the officer while the actor is in flight; or(3) a felony of the second degree if:(A) another suffers death as a direct result of an attempt by the officer from whom the actor is fleeing to apprehend the actor while the actor is in flight; or(B) another suffers serious bodily injury as a direct result of the actor's use of a tire deflation device while the actor is in flight.(c) In this section:(1) "Vehicle" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.201, Transportation Code.

14. silver03svt

silver03svt Heavy Handed Guidance Counselor Staff Member Super Moderator

In Virginia it would definately be a felony. ANYTIME, in a pursuit, if the fleeing party exceeds the posted speed limit by 20MPH or more, law states it is an automatic felony. It can also be a felony under that speed if other criteria are met.

15. SCBQQSTN

SCBQQSTN New Member Established Member

If the person who is fleeing the police did not commit a felony (say you clocked them going 10 mph over, and they decide to run) police cannot pursue?

Is this true? I heard they will not chase because it is not worth the risk to other civilians

16. S8ER01Z

S8ER01Z New Member Established Member

Really depends on where you are... varies by department. RI County here is no pursue unless original charge/reason is a felony. Individual departments within the county can/will chase for anything while others have no chase policies.*

* also not leo or lawyer...

17. svtcop

svtcop Pain Don't Hurt Established Member

Depends of the individual Department policy.

18. silver03svt

silver03svt Heavy Handed Guidance Counselor Staff Member Super Moderator

If you attempt to elude, I will pursue.

19. SCBQQSTN

SCBQQSTN New Member Established Member

So if the fleeing person did not commit a felony, you will risk the lives of other innocent civilians to try and catch them? I am not saying you are the bad guy, just saying that the risk of killing other people skyrocket during a chase. Is it really worth the risk of having a fatal crash to apprehend somebody who is evading a speeding ticket?

20. LS2GTO

LS2GTO Active Member Established Member

If that's the case, then noone will ever get another small non-felony ticket. Everyone will know to keep going knowing they cannot be pursed.

Getting pulled over for tinted windows or missing front plate...just run because the cop cannot pursue you since the original crime is not a felony. Get clocked at 70 in a 55...well keep on going because the cop cannot pursue you for the same reason.

Really think that's going to happen?