First oil change for 2012 GT

corruptor

Established Member
Hi All,

Getting ready to change the oil on my 2012 GT for the first time. Does the drain plug use crush washers? I couldn't find any drain plug washers on Tousley Ford's parts site and am about to order the OEM filter.

Thanks!

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
No, the drain plug has an integral rubber seal. Unscrew, drain, reinstall.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
how many miles are on your car for the first oil change?

This.

If you haven't put at least 3000 miles on the engine, I would recommend against changing the oil.

Most of the people that complain about the ignitor tick after an oil change, changed their oil way too early.

Ford's cocktail of wear inhibitors, detergents and break-in fluids needs to stay in the engine for a little while. I did the initial oil change on my 11 at 4500 miles. I had no tick issues.

I will likely change the oil on my '12 at around the same interval.

D.T.R

Established Member
true but at least you dont have to do it every 3k miles.:)

Yup.
The truck runs the Synthetic mobil1 rated for 15k miles or one year... and since I drive that thing hard EVER... nor make it tow or do any hard work, i run that for 10k miles (with the proper filter) ... so it's about once a year... but it's due this weekend lol... and the same with the mustang... not sure what oil i will run.. probably the same mobil1 i run in the truck.
The 5.0 gets a couple of street races every week... so it does see more abuse... after that it gets babied to and from work. Not sure how long I will keep the oil in there for.

Last edited:

TheYeti

Established Member
Yup.
The truck runs the Synthetic mobil1 rated for 15k miles or one year... and since I drive that thing hard EVER... nor make it tow or do any hard work, i run that for 10k miles (with the proper filter) ... so it's about once a year... but it's due this weekend lol... and the same with the mustang... not sure what oil i will run.. probably the same mobil1 i run in the truck.
The 5.0 gets a couple of street races every week... so it does see more abuse... after that it gets babied to and from work. Not sure how long I will keep the oil in there for.

ahh...yeah, mine hasnt hit the drag yet and until I start throwing more mods in...prob wont. It does see some spirited driving but I rarely put it all the way to the floor.

I am using the synthetic blend so I changed the original oil out at 3200 but my car was also special ordered so it wasnt sitting on the lot. Prob will change it every 5k from here on out with the synthetic blend. If I do full synthetic, will prob change it differently

Users who are viewing this thread