First time testing E85

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
I bought my first round of E85 about two months ago (65) gallons. I wasn't able to get a quick test tube till recently. And Ofcourse today I put the last of it into the car. But before emptying the barrel I took a sample.
Is this normal to be this high???
utf-8BSU1BRzA3MTUuanBn.jpg

And a second test

utf-8BSU1BRzA3MTQuanBn.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Doesn't look all the way settled. (It will clear up more) Either way it looks high.

Here is what I would typically get when I tested it.

4766473914_3740d69278_b.jpg

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Higher the better right? I'm shocked with it being two months old that the % hasn't dropped. I Def did not think it would be higher than 85%. I'm curious to see what this next 65 gallons tests to be.

SVTDice

Established Member
04sleeper,

You said it will give you slightly more HP, Does it also give you a little more detonation resistance as well? Even though I've yet to hear anybody have ANY detonation at all with E85.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Make sure you shake it very well, it should separate quickly. I stared at mine for 5 minutes before I shook it in anger and then felt like a dummy.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
04sleeper,

You said it will give you slightly more HP, Does it also give you a little more detonation resistance as well? Even though I've yet to hear anybody have ANY detonation at all with E85.
In theory it will, but with most combos it won't make any difference since you can reach MBT with E85.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
How do you guys end up testing it when at the pump i am assuming you bring a can to put a testable amount into test it then fill up?

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
How do you guys end up testing it when at the pump i am assuming you bring a can to put a testable amount into test it then fill up?

I carry a jug from windshield washer fluid. Squirt some in there, stick the nozzle in my car. Put the water in the tube, then use the small jug to fill the tube to the correct level. Secure the cap and shake it for a couple seconds, and it should read correct pretty quickly. If you don't shake it, you wont get a good reading since the contents don't have a chance to separate.

Dump whats left in the jug in my car and throw the cap on that and in the trunk it goes.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I don't shake the test tube. I just turn it over back and forth a few times. If you shake it too much it creates bubbles and takes longer to settle.

Either way it really doesn't matter because it will give you a close enough reading.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
another great tip 04sleeper gave me was to use distilled water instead of tap. I fill up to the water line before I leave my house, that way I'm ready when I pull up to the pump. I fill to the e85 line with a flexible, disposable plastic cup. I have noticed that using distilled not only settles out quicker....but the line is highly distinct and very easy to read.

filled up today, $2.75. tested perfect, no e70 switch happening here :beer:

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
the part that separates to the top... Is that the gasoline part of the fuel or the water you just poured in?? I thought the ethanol would absorb the water and the stuff at the top was the gasoline.. also since water is heavier than oil and gasoline

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The top part is the amount of gasoline. The water and Ethanol mix which is below the boundry line.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I don't shake the test tube. I just turn it over back and forth a few times. If you shake it too much it creates bubbles and takes longer to settle.

Either way it really doesn't matter because it will give you a close enough reading.

Shake may have been an over statement, turning it over a few times explains it better :D

Users who are viewing this thread