Ford E-Locker vs Limited Slip Diff

BSB318

Established Member
I plan on ordering a 2014 F150 4x4 with a 5.0 V-8 , standard cab and a short 6ft.6in. bed. I want 3.73 gears with limited slip but I can only get an E-Locker with 3.73 gears.
Ford will not let me get limited slip unless I get 3.55 gears.
Since I me be stuck with an E-Locker , here are my questions for anyone here that can help

1. Is this E-Locker diff stronger or weaker than the limited slip when it comes to handling horsepower ?

2. Does this diff turn on an off like a traction control or is it only activated by me pulling a switch ?

3. If I activate the Locker , does this locker disengage on its own at a certain speed , or does it only disengage when I turn it off myself ?

4. Are there any issues going in reverse with the locker on ? I saw a post on another forum about that ?

5. If your driving on a snow covered roadway , can you drive with the locker activated ?

Thanks for anyone who can help.

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
The e locker is stronger than a limited slip diff. The e locker in one of my family member's fx4 tremor is activated with a switch. It is a very impressive unit, and I was impressed driving it. I have also heard that the e locker comes on automatically in 4wd under a certain speed, such as 10mph.

You can drive with the locker engaged, a regular locker stays engaged when toque is applied (gas pedal) and breaks free when its not under torque (such as coasting around a corner). I would imagine the electronic version maintains this same concept, except that you have to ability to keep it disengaged when the switch is off for a more comfortable driving experience.

They do behave differently than a limited slip. I think since many people don't know how they work, and are used to limited slips, they aren't accustomed to how they behave and so they complain. Such as the reverse accusation you have heard. They are meant to provide the most traction possible when needed, and there is no need to engage it if you are backing out of a paved parking spot in the summer.

Last edited:

klcmcse

Established Member
the ELD locks like a spool- crabs around corners and disengages somewhere around 25-27 mph and you have an open differential.
Maybe one of the SCT tuners will step up and tell us if it can be controlled by the tune to stay engaged beyond 25 MPH, I will need both wheels pulling pushing 18-20lbs boost w a whipple....
Kevin

klcmcse

Established Member
I have not found anyone that can tell me if it can be tuned to stay engaged beyond the 25-27MPH OEM setting so....when you hit the magic MPH number your ELD un-locks and you get an open differential, so if you are putting down 400ft/lbs+ of TQ you will be lighting the passenger side tire up past 30MPH/ open differential.
I have asked many tuners and SCT myself. only answer so far.....
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread