Forged Rods and pistons

dynasty_365

Established Member
Wondering of anyone here has done forged rods and pistons on there 5.0 yet? I've been looking into them. Wondering what the best brands r and best quality. I notice the ford ones come together with Rods and pistons. All the other brands u have to buy the rods then go buy the pistons

Just getting ideas and opinions from u more experienced guys on here

Here's a link to lethals rods Connecting Rods - Engine - 2011-2013 Mustang GT 5.0L

twistedneck

Established Member
The Manley billet pro series I-beam rods have been beat to death in many drag racing and road racing applications and hold up better than any of the budget h-beam (eagle, manley, k-1, etc..). they are more expensive but worth every cent if you want to build it once.

Manley 5.0L Pro Series Billet I-Beam Connecting Rod w/22mm Pin

Similar good things have been proven about oliver rods. (same ones used on the 206mph twin turbo power by the hour mustang).

Oliver 5.0L Coyote Billet I-Beam Conncting Rod Set

Not sure if the oliver rods are 3/8 or 7/16" rod bolts..

Last edited:

dynasty_365

Established Member
Not balling enough to drop motors in and get a blower and what not? Just tryna upgrade the rods and pistons and get my blower. Not going crazy high with the numbers. Probably will stay in the 600-650 range. It's my daily driver

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

No need for pistons or rods then. I have been doing it for almost 2 years now.
10 psi a good tune and keep a check on octane 93+. Just trying to upgrade?
U would need to pull the motor to do rods anyway. It's not a small job leave it alone.

Not balling enough to drop motors in and get a blower and what not? Just tryna upgrade the rods and pistons and get my blower. Not going crazy high with the numbers. Probably will stay in the 600-650 range. It's my daily driver

Last edited:

dynasty_365

Established Member
thats interesting. i definately hear u though. ive seen plenty guys running 700+ on these cars with stock motor and tranny and clutch and havent had any problems

D.T.R

Established Member
No need for pistons or rods then. I have been doing it for almost 2 years now.
10 psi a good tune and keep a check on octane 93+. Just trying to upgrade?
U would need to pull the motor to do rods anyway. It's not a small job leave it alone.

how much power you make and how often you beat on the caR?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
OP, if 600whp is your goal then like stated above, leave it alone. Get a good safe tune and it should be fine. TON's of guys are doing that. These motors can handle 550whp forever and 600-650whp for a good long time epending on how much you beat on it, etc.

dynasty_365

Established Member
well i have a new job so im not making a 40 mile drive to work anymore. i only work ten minutes from my house now so wont b much beating. i'ma go vortech or paxton and looking 600-650 rwhp and i'll definately have a safe tune. i was thinking of later down the line doing a small hit of nitrous with the blower to possibly only use at the track but that would b later down the line but doubt i do it. it was just a thought. i know some turbo guys do small hits of nitrous but it was just a thought. nothing set in stone, but the blower is going on for sure very soon

D.T.R

Established Member
well i have a new job so im not making a 40 mile drive to work anymore. i only work ten minutes from my house now so wont b much beating. i'ma go vortech or paxton and looking 600-650 rwhp and i'll definately have a safe tune. i was thinking of later down the line doing a small hit of nitrous with the blower to possibly only use at the track but that would b later down the line but doubt i do it. it was just a thought. i know some turbo guys do small hits of nitrous but it was just a thought. nothing set in stone, but the blower is going on for sure very soon

Guys, yes while tuning affects the life spam of the motor, don't think that because the tune is safe you can push 1100whp through a stock motor and be fine. 600whp is a lot more than what the engine was designed for and sooner or later the extra stress to which the motor wasn't designed for will take a toll..
IMO the key is a good tune and how much yo beat on it. Even if the tune is safe but you're pushing 650whp... i guarantee you that if you beat on it consistently it will break.

Last edited:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member

you'll be fine with a centri blower. There easier on the rods(the weak link). Ill be going paxton mywelf this winter. IM shooting for about the same as you and my car is a DD as well. Im looking for 580-600whp low boost and 700high boost. I'll be running Methonal though.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
you'll be fine with a centri blower. There easier on the rods(the weak link). Ill be going paxton mywelf this winter. IM shooting for about the same as you and my car is a DD as well. Im looking for 580-600whp low boost and 700high boost. I'll be running Methonal though.

Definitely do the 200-shot if you're going meth :D

Users who are viewing this thread