Forged Rods and pistons

D.T.R

Established Member
maybe a stock A6 transmission is what I should get then.
How much do those transmission go for, either new or barely used? Wouldn't it be a cost-effective solution ? I mean, auto = faster. Plus the A6 is pretty strong... AND is a 6-speed... which is great for the hwy cruising... what more could you want?

Last edited:

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
maybe a stock A6 transmission is what I should get then.
How much do those transmission go for, either new or barely used? Wouldn't it be a cost-effective solution ? I mean, auto = faster. Plus the A6 is pretty strong... AND is a 6-speed... which is great for the hwy cruising... what more could you want?

wow well hell,

even in just in doing a quick search i did not find any and i called 2 of my dealers and they laughed, at the moment they are not even pricable through the methods I use to locate one. . .

what one of my dealers at LKQ / Keystone thinks is that if these cars are wrecked they are having their vital components bought back up my whoever rebuilds their reman stuff.

so best option i see is to try and buy an a6 from some one going to a racing trans, be aware you will end up needing the automatic wiring harness and ecu. . . price unknown

D.T.R

Established Member
wow well hell,

even in just in doing a quick search i did not find any and i called 2 of my dealers and they laughed, at the moment they are not even pricable through the methods I use to locate one. . .

what one of my dealers at LKQ / Keystone thinks is that if these cars are wrecked they are having their vital components bought back up my whoever rebuilds their reman stuff.

so best option i see is to try and buy an a6 from some one going to a racing trans, be aware you will end up needing the automatic wiring harness and ecu. . . price unknown

fuuuu.gif

D.T.R

Established Member
We can do the Manleys which most consider a far better rod for less than you can purchase the Eagle H beams. Dont waste your money!

Dang... you got me pretty sold on Manley stuff then :lol1:

Do you know/have any motor/car/setup making serious numbers with the H-beam rods? around or over 1000whp? I was just wondering if they held up at that power level.

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I believe beefcake was running the Manley H-beams at 1000 rwhp and has since gone to the Manley I-beams.

D.T.R

Established Member
I believe beefcake was running the Manley H-beams at 1000 rwhp and has since gone to the Manley I-beams.

Nice. Impressive. I'm wondering if he broke one? or if he's just planning on making a lot more power, past the "safe" limit of the H-beams?

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Isn't beefcake making over 1,000rwhp on an A6? I know he did the Exedy upgrade kit but that's all internal parts.

In terms of rods, if you have any doubt then maybe you should bite the bullet and do I-beams to give you peace of mind.

When I have MMR build my motor, I'm having a motor built that will handle up to 900rwhp but I'll never have my car at over 600rwhp. Part of me doing that is cause I'm staying N/A and gonna be throwing high RPMs so I wanna be more safe than sorry.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Dang... you got me pretty sold on Manley stuff then :lol1:

Do you know/have any motor/car/setup making serious numbers with the H-beam rods? around or over 1000whp? I was just wondering if they held up at that power level.

Yes, we have been selling the MMR 1000 shortblock since the late 90's with these rods, we have customers across the globe making 1000+ RWHP with the Manley H beam rods. We run the Manley Billet I beams in our 2000HP Coyote that recently ran 7.02@202MPH We do not suggest more than 1000+ on the H beams but we have many customers that have done it. :beer:

Last edited:

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
I did see in jegs a minute ago that TCI has complete set ups of 4L80Es with stand alone TCUs and full instal kits for around 7,500.00 thats not that bad really when you consider their hp ranges and how much stuff is in their kits.

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
Not to thread jack or anything. I've been toying with the idea of a built motor for a while now.

If I bought the Boss stuff, can any shop who knows how to disassemble the engine install them since they don't need balancing ? Anything special they need to do in order to install the Boss parts ?

I wanted to just build the engine since buying an engine from the US and having it shipped here would cost an arm and a leg. Shops here don't have specialized engine builders or even know how to balance them. So would the Boss stuff be fit for that type of scenario ?

There's some good info in this thread!

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I wanted to just build the engine since buying an engine from the US and having it shipped here would cost an arm and a leg. Shops here don't have specialized engine builders or even know how to balance them. So would the Boss stuff be fit for that type of scenario ?

There's some good info in this thread!

We ship quite a few engines to Canada, shipping is roughly $490 on a 2011-2013 shortblock, we have a special now for the MMR 1000 for only $3699 as part of our Black Friday special. :beer:

2011redcandy

Established Member
This thread has some good info.

Just remember..don't get all of your info from one forum dominated by one major "engine building" vendor. Consult with multiple companies about your needs and Check their reputation across the whole Internet.

Most people are running L&M, JPC/RGR and Livernois shortblocks in the 5.0s. It is because they are proven and you get what is advertised. They also have a reputation built on quality hence they do not have to be on forums pushing their products.

Last edited:

calgarybandit

Established Member
I am doing a Paxton 8 rib kit for sure. Just trying to filter through all the crap if I should just do the STI balancer and oil gears or build a forged bottom end and either H or I beam. I am looking for the 650-750 HP range and will need a little more pulley with my elevation. You guys are fortunate not to deal with 4500+ elevation in allot of your locations.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
I did the boss rods and pistons. It's a nice setup cause they come assembled and even the rings come on the piston ready to drop in. If you get the crank there's no need to get the assembly balanced. This is a great budget build, the parts are cheap compared to aftermarket and no machine work is nessacery.

Where did you get the Boss rods and pistons? Roughly how much would it cost to go this route?

Users who are viewing this thread