• Welcome to SVT Performance!

Found an abandoned missile silo..

Discussion in 'Pics and Videos Buffet' started by MAXX RS4, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MAXX RS4

MAXX RS4 New Member Established Member

Today me and a few buddies went out exploring our local woods. What we stumbled upon has left us shocked.. We found an abandoned missile base! There were easily over 80 bunkers, its own powerplant (the generator looked like a monstrous whipple), its own water supply, and many other buildings that we didnt get to see because we ran out of daylight. Here are osme pics I took before the batteries died in the camera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were signs posted in some of the bunkers that we went in that said "MK 40Y1 WARHEAD" and "MK 40 MISSILE".. Anyone know about these missiles? I'm guessing this place was running during the cold war because it looks like it's been unoccupied atleast 20+ years now.. I'll be going back in the next week with a crowbar, bigass flashlight, and a few spare batts for the cam..

I'm sitll in awe of the whole place. I've never seen anything like it..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  2. Starfox07

Starfox07 Formerly XR4turbo Established Member

This is sort of self-incrimating but whatever floats your boat.

That is pretty badass though.

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Terminated Established Member

That's crazy...

4. TakeAwayTheFear

TakeAwayTheFear Stabbing the Drama Established Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

but that is damn cool, i want to go!!!

5. Midnight_Cobra

Midnight_Cobra It's an Atomic Serpent! Established Member

Welcome to Saw 3!

6. Blown408 86GT

Blown408 86GT 94GT 617 rwhp fun machine Established Member

Pretty cool...although I think what you might have found is an old ammo dump. Missile silos are below ground and usually are filled with concrete once the Air Force deactivates them. I've deactivated a few and its kind of cool...The equipment inside that we used to care and maintain was destroyed by us.

I've heard some of the Atlas and Titan sites being sold to the public...

7. fatboy01

fatboy01 Gonzo Established Member

How long have you lived in your area? You just decided to go out into the woods and stumbled across a missle silo? That is bizarre, did you ever hear about it before you found it? When I was younger me and my buds were out in the woods and found some old shack and decided to make it our new hideout spot. A few weeks later we find out a murderer in our area had used the same place to hide for a few nights, luckily not any nights we were there.

also, those radioactive signs look pretty new... try not to get caught by the Feds

8. MAXX RS4

Clearly that machine in the last pic is to hold missiles. There were also signs posted that said "MK 40Y1 WARHEADS" .. if that's just ammo, then I don't know what to say.. I went into about 6 of those garages (the last pic) and they all had one of those things in it.. When I get more pics, maybe things will clear up better..

9. MAXX RS4

I've lived here for about 8 years.. This isn't exactly my backyard. Now that me and my buddies all drive, we're able to go farther. We had to drive about 20 minutes and decided to treck into some woods that we've never seen before.

And this place has no grafitti anywhere, so I don't think many kids know about it.. I've never heard about it either.. It was probably a good 3 miles into the woods..

10. 98svt13.59

98svt13.59 New Member Established Member

Wow!! Area 51 or what!!

11. 99GTtony

99GTtony Rain city stanger Established Member

It's more than likely an ammo depot from the cold war. Personally I would stay out, something about that big "Radioactive Materials" sign would keep me out. Still kinda cool though. Definitely get more pics of it.

12. svtcobra2k1

svtcobra2k1 Dead Crawlin... Established Member

more pictures!

13. ScrpnVNM

ScrpnVNM New Member Established Member

HOLY SH!T!! That is pretty awesome. Are you not worried about the "radioactive materials"? Like someone said before, they look kind of new, I mean no rust or anything, even when the fence looks rusty. I don't blame you, I'd look all over the place if I was there.

14. fast1

fast1 I want a Cobra Established Member

That's pretty cool! I'd like to see some more pics

15. Sniperfox

Sniperfox Kopfjaeger Established Member

I noticed that you didn't post any "No Trespassing" signs. I would think that it would be posted as such. The radioactive materials are probably posted because of contamination from the stockpiles that were there. If so, proceed at your own risk. It's your lungs...your life. Go by a local hospital and ask an xray tech for one of those tags that react to radiation. That way, you will know for sure if you have commited suicide.

16. Blown408 86GT

Blown408 86GT 94GT 617 rwhp fun machine Established Member

Google it...Mk 40s are small rockets launched by the Apache helicopter. I agree the last pic is some sort of missile "rail set". However, its very doubtful its an ICBM missile silo site. As I said, they are underground and are spread out many miles apart. You probably found an old Nike maintenance and storage dump. I think New Jersey had a ton of them back in the day.

17. Vashthestampede

Vashthestampede Its not a TUMAH Established Member

18. SVT32V

SVT32V New Member Established Member

just take a geiger counter with you and explore "to infinity and beyond!!!..."(Buzz Lightyear) :D
    griffin

19. ID3Racing

ID3Racing SVT FTW! Established Member

that def held some kind of largee object(last pic) thats pretty sweet that you found that. i have seen some of those old missile silo home for sale on ebay and they have been decontaminated (i hope) looks like something outa a horrer movie.

20. 2-slow

2-slow Say what? Established Member

That is pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing more pics.