Found an abandoned missile silo..

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
My first time reading it. Very interesting thread. How many of these abandoned bases are there?

And why not just completely level and destroy these places instead of just leaving them?

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Cost. It's the gov.

although i do agree, i can also dispute by mentioning how many pointless people are paid to do nothing, and how much pointless money is spent by the government every year just so they know they will get budgeted the following year.. bottom line, its politics..lol :lol1:

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
Also might want to be careful now about going to place like this with the gov passing the indefinite detention law.

Prototype007

Established Member
Wow what an old thread, but well worth the read!

Wonder if the OP's health was affected by his visits there.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
My first time reading it. Very interesting thread. How many of these abandoned bases are there?

And why not just completely level and destroy these places instead of just leaving them?

A lot. There were thousands of old silos that got shut down and the launch sites silos were condenced.

The danger of most of the sites is next to nothing unless there was an accident at the site where radioactive material was released and not cleaned up.

Ive got a building near my office where they used to actually work on the missles in my area. some of the heavy equipment is still there too.

crzyforddrvr

Established Member
So...I saw this thread the other day and it caught my attention. I read the first page and the last page as I was too lazy to read through 18 pages of comments. I work on McGuire AFB close by and you will find this link that I post interesting. I wouldn't be poking around anywhere for fear of radioactive contamination...that's just me. I'm not saying there is any left but I wouldn't risk it. Check out what happened there back in 1960.

BOMARC Accident Cleanup at McGuire Air Force Base

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
So...I saw this thread the other day and it caught my attention. I read the first page and the last page as I was too lazy to read through 18 pages of comments. I work on McGuire AFB close by and you will find this link that I post interesting. I wouldn't be poking around anywhere for fear of radioactive contamination...that's just me. I'm not saying there is any left but I wouldn't risk it. Check out what happened there back in 1960.

BOMARC Accident Cleanup at McGuire Air Force Base

There is a site similar to this near where I go bike riding. There is a random fenced in area in the middle of a field with radioactive material warning signs on it. I have no clue what in there but it's kinda creepy either way.

The wild thing is these missile silo sites were built all over the place back in the 50's/60's. A lot of them were sealed up but others have been sold to private citizens who have made them into houses. Pretty strange niche culture.

Here is a map I found that details where of the missile sites were for certain launch platforms.

life0602.jpg

This isnt a complete list but it's a general idea of where they were at. In my neck of the woods, there were 13 sites.

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
I wonder how many taxpayer dollars it took to build it.

And how much could have been recovered if it had been sold off before it started to corrode.

Not pertaining to the NIKE or BOMARC sites but the Atlas D, E and F silo sites which housed enormous lliquid fueled ICBM's. There were 72 Atlas F (the largest structures which allowed the missile to be stored upright) were built at around 18 million dollars each in 1960, they were deactivated in 1965. There were 3 silo's in each Atlas F structure, each 50 feet in diameter and 185 feet deep, inside each silo was a 7-story steel superstructure that was entirely suspended from gigantic springs to keep it stable during a nuclear attack. These kinds of things are very interesting to me.

Here's a link to a good thread with lots of really cool pictures about an Atlas F silo.

[ame=http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340815]Atlas-F nuclear missile silo revisited - ADVrider[/ame]

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Whats wild is a fellow and I talked the other day about this. He is always into stuff like this. He talked about how the government is converting some of these facilites to house the government in case of war. A person who bought one of these has a neat piece of history. It would be neat to be able to live underground like that. I would just have to rig up someway to keep the Stangs under there with me. Awesome thread.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Hm. I think I remember this from back then. Awesome thread. Only about 40 mins from me give or take and Ive never been there. Havnt been to a lot of cool places in nj.

Although near me I do have a replicated ship in a field. We call it the Battleship in a cornfield since it looks like the comand deck of a battleship. Its where the test and design Aegis for the navys ships and all. Reported to have been a target during the cold war. Also has rumors of a hidden middle silo of some sort in the field near it. As well as a Phalanx Gun, or C-Ram for the land based unit, guarding it from the rear.

Then of course you have Lockeed Martins huge site across the street. Just built some more buildings with what appear to be radar towers and radar spots on the side of the buildings. I know the do model design and testing there among other shit. Very large compound.

Other than that.. Pretty boring out my way

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread