Getting 350+ rwhp???

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Hey guys as some of you know I have the opportunity to buy my former 97 Cobra back from the guy I sold it to nearly 4 years ago for half the price because it's not running properly. He doesn't know what is wrong so he's willing to go $4500. I just sold my 2014 GT two weeks ago and after having 420hp there's no going back to 305! Since I've been out of a SN95 Cobra for a few years, what are my options to get 350+ rwhp if I buy it back? I'd be willing to drop between $5-8k additional cash at it if I can get that reliably on a road course. Can intake and heads off of an 03/04 set it up for a Whipple or Kenne Bell with an intercooler? I'm thinking of paying a local shop to rebuild the engine with stronger rods, springs, etc and add a supercharger.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
If you're willing to drop that kind of money, I'd do a coyote swap. They can be done for the 8k range.. Find a used engine online and go from there.. Have 450rwhp in a car that is 3200lbs. :D

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
C heads and a set of cams will get you 350+ and will be way cheaper than $5-8k.

To be fair, I'd probably Coyote swap it, too.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
FWIW I made 355rwhp with blower cams and a shortrunner intake with the stock bheaded motor. Granted my torque was laughable but the 4.56's helped. lol

-Mark

96dreamer

Established Member
I'm at 325 at the tire with c heads and b cams +flat tops and bolt ons. cams would put me well over 350 at the tire. That being said I too wish I had coyote swapped it. Cheap motors weren't as common at the time I rebuilt though unfortunately.

fastferndog

Established Member
The plus is that the car is already a modular, so if you decide to swap to a coyote, it should be straight forward. It's already been done so getting the few special pieces are available over the counter. No need to mix and match oddball parts to make it work.
I know of many guys running the b head with cams and long tubes making 350+
However the coyote stock will make more with reliability and with room to grow

DeltaElite121

Established Member
FWIW I made 355rwhp with blower cams and a shortrunner intake with the stock bheaded motor. Granted my torque was laughable but the 4.56's helped. lol

-Mark

Mark, how was drivability with the 4.56's and the shortrunner? Not trying to thread-hijack, but I haven't really seen much of an answer to this question after all the scouring I've done. "Don't fear the gear" obviously comes up a lot, but is it livable in a daily driver? I generally only go 60 MPH or so to work, and usually very little interstate driving. I'm trying to determine if I should just do what you did + a custom cam profile, or just throw a supercharger at it and go that route. I bought a JSR short-runner off the of the members on here, so I could go either direction. Longtubes are currently sitting as well. I just replaced the clutch and went with a aluminum flywheel as well, so the options are definitely still there to go either direction.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Around town they are fine. Only time I notice it is on the interstate. I try and keep the rpms down so I'd cruise around 67 and the rpms would be around 2700. But you will need drag radials. Regular tires will have to skating all over the place in 1st and 2nd. lol.

-Mark

racebronco2

Established Member
Just find a used paxton or vortech blower and you will be around 400rwhp. I have seen them as low as 2500.00 with an intercooler.

C heads, 99 cobra intake, degreed 97 cobra cams, completely stock exhaust with all the cats and a tune in my auto Lincoln Mark VIII got me 297rwhp. With long tubes, x pipe and a catback thru a manual trans will get you close to 350rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread