HDMI splitter/switch problems with Dishnetwork Reciever

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
My LG lcd tv only has one hdmi output so I bought something simliar to this, 3 Port HDMI Switch Selector HDTV Xbox Box w/HDMI Cable - eBay (item 350414919916 end time Dec-18-10 01:37:09 PST) . I hooked the hdmi cable from the TV into it and then the bluray, ps3, and dishnetwork reciever. Everything works fine except for the disnetwork box. It says no signal on my tv when i switch to that port. I tried other combinations and all the ports are functioning. Anyone run into this before? Is it something built into the dish box and is there anyway around it? Thanks in advance

stang1971

Established Member
i would call dish network... i have basically the same setup as you and no no issues.. but i have a panasonic plasma tv.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
i would call dish network... i have basically the same setup as you and no no issues.. but i have a panasonic plasma tv.

i talked to dish and they told me they don't recommend the splitters but when i asked them why they said because it may disrupt the picture :shrug:
they werent really any help. I dont think the tv has anything to do with it. everything works fine except the dish reciever. its almost like its blocking it through the splitter. maybe to keep you from hooking up more than one tv to a box? i donno

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Have you tried to plug the dish cable straight into the tv?

if not try that and see if when you were messing with it the cable went bad.

or try another cable to see if it works.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
To trouble shoot it I would:

• Plug the box directly to the TV to make sure it's working correctly
  • Unplug all devices from the splitter EXCEPT for the DISH-BOX

It very well could be that the splitter box is too cheap to transfer the signals from the box.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
To trouble shoot it I would:

• Plug the box directly to the TV to make sure it's working correctly
  • Unplug all devices from the splitter EXCEPT for the DISH-BOX

It very well could be that the splitter box is too cheap to transfer the signals from the box.

the tv works fine when directly hooked to the dish box. the splitter box works fine with the sony bluray player and with the ps3. i switch the dishbox to the port that the ps3 was hooked to and it still didnt work. it has to be something with the dish box unless like you mention something in the splitter box wont relay the dish signal. can anyone recommend a better splitter?

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
the tv works fine when directly hooked to the dish box. the splitter box works fine with the sony bluray player and with the ps3. i switch the dishbox to the port that the ps3 was hooked to and it still didnt work. it has to be something with the dish box unless like you mention something in the splitter box wont relay the dish signal. can anyone recommend a better splitter?

I mean, you've pretty much trouble shot the problem. If the Dish-box works w/o splitter but not with, then it tells you one thing. It's the splitter box. Now why it isn't working can't tell you. But I'd say it probably has something to do with the particular splitter box you are using. It isn't able to pass through something the dish box is trying to send. I'm not a video expect, but it's what my technical assumptions make me believe.

Did you try looking through the dish settings on the box and see if there is any option you need to turn on for this? Maybe try changing the output, to say like SD.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I mean, you've pretty much trouble shot the problem. If the Dish-box works w/o splitter but not with, then it tells you one thing. It's the splitter box. Now why it isn't working can't tell you. But I'd say it probably has something to do with the particular splitter box you are using. It isn't able to pass through something the dish box is trying to send. I'm not a video expect, but it's what my technical assumptions make me believe.

Did you try looking through the dish settings on the box and see if there is any option you need to turn on for this? Maybe try changing the output, to say like SD.

havent tried messing with any settings. guess i'll try that next then try a different splitter. thanks :beer:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
well after searching a few tv forums i've found this to be a common problem. i'm going to try and upgrade to a nicer splitter and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread