• Welcome to SVT Performance, your home for all things SVT

Headers or new wheels/tires = traction!?

Discussion in 'SVT Shelby GT500' started by scottGT500, Dec 27, 2009.

1. scottGT500

scottGT500 Active Member Established Member

Well, "Santa" has granted me the go-ahead to get some headers, lol! I need to know which ones to get. I will be getting a catted X with whichever one that I get. I need to know which one is the best for fitment and clearance. This will be my daily driver so I am looking for headers that will last and "hold up" for quite some time. I am also debating on some Steeda Spyder wheels to add traction on the rear (20" x 11" rears - 555r's). I may get the wheels first to add traction to my already 540 rwhp, non traction beast. The final price will be about the same for headers as it will be for the Steeda wheels and new tires. I don't know which ones to get first!? Hmm, more traction or more volume/power. My gut is saying get traction so I can enjoy the power that I have. Let me know your thoughts...I just wish that a 19" tire with amazing traction was out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really love the stock wheels, just NO traction with any tire combo with a 19 x 9.5" wheel.

Happy Holidays!

Scott

2. XtremeS10

XtremeS10 New Member Established Member

I say get the headers then say "Well now it has too much power to drive uh oh, need more traction like lower control arms and tires" though Santa might not be too happy with you after that ;)

3. Hissssss

Hissssss Fox body lover Established Member

:lol:..+1
    In all honesty you aren’t going to see any real gains with the header set up except about 30ftlbs of tq or so, maybe 10 rwhp or so. The real gains come in when you go with a aftermarket blower. They will last for a good long time if you ceramic coat them, and that will cut down on under hood temps considerably. You are going to get aftermarket wheels at some point no matter what..;-) lol.
    Remember with the headers your additional cost of the X pipe w or wo cats, and the install, and if you do it yourself you might as well put the K-member in while your under there ;-), it will make it so much easier...lol

4. XtremeS10

XtremeS10 New Member Established Member

I agree decide if you want to run an aftermarket blower at some point and if you want to spend the cash now or later. If you just want to cut down on the temps you could get a new heat exchanger from Revan racing, one of the best mods for our cars. You could also get new upper and lower control arms with tires to really help the traction. So many options out there for you.

I say the first thing you do is sit down and really think what kind of money you are willing to spend and what you want from the car at this point. Decide what you ultimately want from the car. Then build from the foundation. Its what I was always taught, you can have all the power in the world but its no good if you can't get it to the ground or are going to be breaking things!

5. 09Troublemaker

09Troublemaker " That don't sound stock" Established Member

Since the headers will not generate much more power #'s
    I would do the tires.........

FYI- My Kooks 1 7/8 with catted X fit snug with NO clearance issues.
    I won't say they are the best, since I haven't installed the others

G/L

6. Red10thcv

Red10thcv New Member Established Member

+1 on Kook's 1 7/8 headers, but why make more horsepower if you can't get to the ground?

7. ZXMustang

ZXMustang Banned

Skip the headers, they are not worth much at all at your power level. They will help great at the 700+ level.

8. scottGT500

scottGT500 Active Member Established Member

That makes sense...If change out the blower, I should/would definately do the headers...I guess that I could change out the mid pipe with an aftermarket catted x in the meantime to give it some more volume....

Scott

9. yc420

yc420 New Member Established Member

I would skip the headers as on the stock blower it's really not worth the money for the gains you get. I would do the Shelby Heat Exchanger before tires if possible. I'm under the assumption that you're on stock tires which "do the job" for daily driving. Obviously you can't romp on it in 1st or 2nd gear but you can still play with the pedal. Also, due to the dual fans of the Shelby Heat Exchanger it makes it optimal for daily driving when stopped at intersections and what not.

Check out Revan Racing Mustang GT 500 performance heat exchangers and radiators Florida | www.revanracing.com 2009 for more info. Van, the owner, is a real stand up guy and he's very reliable. Answered my call on a Sunday afternoon. Just goes to show how reliable he is.

10. 09Troublemaker

09Troublemaker " That don't sound stock" Established Member

+1 on the H/E^^^^^Nice product!

11. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Established Member

seems like everyone covered the basics already

12. skyhighsd

skyhighsd New Member Established Member

I would do the rims and tires before the HE its not needed yet.