Help needed , a leak in the passenger side window

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Summer is almost over here. I drove my 95 Cobra R Sunday morning (68 degrees) just after day light with no traffic problems. It performed very well. ;-)

My passenger side window has a sealing problem. It will leak a little when washing it. I have some moisture damp rid in the car.

The rubber sealing on the window frame of the car is in great condition. I think that I need to tighten up the door to better seal it? Can I move the thing on the door jam a 1/16" inside to tighten up the seal? The driver window is good to go.

Thanks

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I believe I would plan on moving the entire door up 1/8" to improve the seal of the window, then adjusting the latch to suit.

This would be do-able by you at home, or a trusted local body shop should be able to do it in less than hour...provided there are no hidden issues waiting to be uncovered.

This is also assuming the seal is ok and not deteriorated.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Joe,
I compared the two door fits. They seem the same.

I think it just needs a little tightening. I've been down the road of adjusting the door hinges. It gets complicated.

JoeAsheville

Established Member
Yep, door fitting can be a pain...which is why I haven't goofed with my driver's door. It's off too, but not to the point of causing weather sealing issues.

I love the car, and I'm glad I have it...but good googly moogly it looks like Ford just slapped these things together with little regard for build quality.

I guess they expected them to be completely disassembled and modified for race use, so they just didn't concentrate on panel fits.

Regarding your original solution idea...it's my understanding that once you top out the regulator (roll the window all the way up), there's nothing else you can do with it to get more travel...which is why I suggested the door adjustment. It's been a while since I've been in an SN95 door, I can't remember if you could leave the door alone and if there is some regulator adjustment method. If not, you could always modify the door a bit, slot the regulator mounting points a bit to get it moved up in the door to achieve better seal. The modification would be invisible once the door panel were replaced.

However, I'm positive that there is a wide range of door adjustment available due to manufacturing tolerances. If it were me, I would go that route exclusively. It's not unusual for the doors to fit a little different from side to side on the 94/95 cars...my old 95 cobra had the same problem.

Last edited:

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
There should be an L shaped bracket , that limits how far the window goes up.
Of course you have to remove the door panel , and the water shield.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
... it looks like Ford just slapped these things together with little regard for build quality.

However, I'm positive that there is a wide range of door adjustment available due to manufacturing tolerances. If it were me, I would go that route exclusively. It's not unusual for the doors to fit a little different from side to side on the 94/95 cars...my old 95 cobra had the same problem.

Joe,
I would point out that the cars are over 21 years old now. ;-)

Mine has never been to a service place. I replaced the fuel cell about 5 years ago (with a stock steel tank). I've changed the oil many times and flushed the fluids a couple of times. It's on its third battery.

Yea, I am not going to do a major project because of a small leak. I just notice it when washing with a pressured water hose. I did put a thing of DampRid in it (calcium chloride). That will keep it dry for now.

I had a 1994 Cobra which I traded away. It was a great car.
94Cobra-1.jpg

$21.6K sounds like a bargain today. :-D I saw a regular GT on a new car lot for almost $40K MSRP. They also had a new GT350R. They added additional dealer mark-up. Price = $110,000 ($40K over MRSP).

JoeAsheville

Established Member
If you have an opportunity to drive that GT350R...DO IT. They are fantastic...It's amazing the differences between the two R's, both awesome in their own right.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have an opportunity to drive that GT350R...DO IT. They are fantastic...It's amazing the differences between the two R's, both awesome in their own right.
I have driven one. The guy that bought my 1965 Mustang has one. It was a great car, and I refuse to pay MSRP or more for anything.

Confirm with a body shop how much adjustability you have. I believe it is much less than you think.
Tom,
That is my plan. I know and see a lot of mechanics from racing. Someone will know the SN95 chaises.

Users who are viewing this thread