Hit with Super Speeder in Georgia - Lawyer Advice

jbs$

Established Member
Treat a fast driving award, such as the one that OP has, lightly and it will be a day that you will regret for a very long time.

I don't know what its like down in the southern states. But, ive never heard anyone getting a lawyer for a speeding ticket...
Get enough of them or ones of a serious nature like the one the OP got and u would be wise to hire one.

Sometimes it's very prudent to get one of these ball washing bastards, no offense Sid, because they do fabulous work when the stakes are high.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Not buying that.

A judge gave me something similar when I received a nasty ticket in Delaware at age 17. "Probation before Judgement" she called it. I had to return with a statement from my insurance company after either 6 months or a year (I don't recall). Any new tickets and I would have been hit with my original ticket, a 5 pointer.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Your first step should be to stop making public admissions of guilt. There's a guy sitting in prison for homicide for posting things like that here.
Fourteen years on this board, and I somehow missed that kind of drama? :eek: First post that comes to mind is this, but obviously you're not talking about me. :)

(unless I'm in my bunk on a contraband smartphone right now, mwahaha...)

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Fourteen years on this board, and I somehow missed that kind of drama? :eek: First post that comes to mind is this, but obviously you're not talking about me. :)

yeah I think someone needs to provide a link. I THINK I remember it but not real sure. my bet is there are a lot of lulz in that thread

jshen

Established Member
Georgia law- See Code 40-6-189- All traffic offenses in Ga can be criminal depending on how they are charged. If the Trooper arrests you at the scene..you know it's a Misd criminal offense punishable by up to 12 months and a maximum of $1000.00. In this case, Trooper gave a ticket - presumably under (40-6 180)-(40-6-189). Basically it's a lot of additional fees along with license suspension if you ignore it. I might add that everyone on I-85, I 75, and I-285 speed because if you don't, the trucks will run over you.

Under 40-5-57- this is a 4 point violation..but

C) A court may order a person to attend a defensive driving course approved by the commissioner pursuant to Code Section 40-5-83 for any violation for which points are assessed against a driver's license under this subsection or may accept the attendance by a person at a driver improvement clinic approved by the commissioner pursuant to Code Section 40-5-83 after the issuance of a citation for such offense and prior to such person's appearance before the court, in which event the court shall reduce the fine assessed against such person by 20 percent, and no points shall be assessed by the department against such driver. The disposition and court order shall be reported to the department and shall be placed on the motor vehicle record with a zero point count. This plea may be accepted by the court once every five years as measured from date of arrest to date of arrest.

Last edited:

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member

(unless I'm in my bunk on a contraband smartphone right now, mwahaha...)

yeah I think someone needs to provide a link. I THINK I remember it but not real sure. my bet is there are a lot of lulz in that thread

The crime
http://patch.com/pennsylvania/doylestown/mustang-driver-faces-murder-charge

The related thread
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?894772-2003-Cobra-involved-in-fatal-crash-in-Doyelstown-Pa-11-21/page18&highlight=doylestown

Evidence provided by driver displaying a propensity to engage in a street race
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?465459-Interesting-evening-SOME-Evo-guys-are-cool&highlight=

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
thanks man .. that is the one I thought it was ... there were actually a fair number of SVTP clowns trying to defend the guy ... glad he got a big sentence

Stang Lover

Established Member
How often do you get tickets? If not very often just plead NOLO (basically admitting guilt) - no points go on your record, you just pay the fines. Hope this helps. It'd be cheaper than a lawyer.

I would advise NOT to use the NOLO for this. Reason being is you get to use NOLO once every couple years. You never know what situation you might find yourself in the next few years or later and it will come in handy. I know this because I just went court in Aug for a more serious charge than the OP earlier this year. I've used it once before in 09 for speeding ticket because somebody in court told me to use it but I didn't know nothing back then.

jshen

Established Member
In Georgia, you get one NOLO and I advise clients, in most cases, to not use it on a misdemeanor crime and never for a traffic case. There are exceptions of course, but generally there are other options available without using it. Felonies are another matter. As for the OP, he received a ticket. He can try to negotiate the case down to a lesser speed or try dismissal route by taking, in advance of the court hearing, a driver risk reduction course and present certificate to judge. Even if he has a record and used DD course before, that will impress the judge that he made the effort. In GA, our state troopers, are exempt from many of the requirements for radar that city and municipal officers must follow. Troopers here are very professional in court. If one wants to try to negotiate to a lesser speed or charge, I always involve the officer- I used to be an officer and I would get royally pissed when somebody tried to sidestep me. As a prosecutor, I always involved the officer in the decision making and as a def lawyer now, I still follow that.

I noticed some posters being critical but the poster wanted/needed info. and as a member here I felt obligated to share what I know.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
In Georgia, you get one NOLO and I advise clients, in most cases, to not use it on a misdemeanor crime and never for a traffic case. There are exceptions of course, but generally there are other options available without using it. Felonies are another matter. As for the OP, he received a ticket. He can try to negotiate the case down to a lesser speed or try dismissal route by taking, in advance of the court hearing, a driver risk reduction course and present certificate to judge. Even if he has a record and used DD course before, that will impress the judge that he made the effort. In GA, our state troopers, are exempt from many of the requirements for radar that city and municipal officers must follow. Troopers here are very professional in court. If one wants to try to negotiate to a lesser speed or charge, I always involve the officer- I used to be an officer and I would get royally pissed when somebody tried to sidestep me. As a prosecutor, I always involved the officer in the decision making and as a def lawyer now, I still follow that.

I noticed some posters being critical but the poster wanted/needed info. and as a member here I felt obligated to share what I know.

I can vouch for JSHEN on his argument for the troopers. Every single one I have ever had to deal with, on the road or in court, has been hospitable. I somewhat recently was pulled over for speeding and failure to use turn signals directly in front of a trooper. I was in a foul mood, and apparently he was also as I said "dude, I know I used my blinker" which set him off. When he returned with the tickets, I apologized and told him I meant no disrespect though I had indeed used my signal which had burnt out. He apologized as well and tore up both tickets in front of me and wished me a good day as well as thanked me.

IMHO, and I've done this always including for a super speeder fine, is show up for court dressed well, early, and speak to the prosecutor and officer. I have always paid the fine, but the violation was changed to a non moving or the points were waved (depending on the original citation). Either way, taking a driving course is not bad advice either.

Users who are viewing this thread