• Welcome to SVT Performance, your home for all things SVT

Home heat in winter

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by BADASS03SVT, Oct 24, 2013.

1. BADASS03SVT

BADASS03SVT Active Member Established Member

I bought my first house last August and it a 2200sq ft colonial with a 330gal oil tank and baseboard heat. I used approx 900 gallons of oil this first year and its only 2 of us here. I work 60-80hrs a week so it really not used much. Is this typical consumption for most in the northern states for this size house? I keep the programable stats at 60 when we arent home and 65 when we are...might bump it to 68 on a really cold night.

What do people have for other heating sources in their homes? Pellet stove? Anyone convert to propane? Pros and cons of each? :beer:

2. svtshadow

svtshadow Banned

Sub'ng

3. Mr. Mach-ete

Mr. Mach-ete Liberals Suck Established Member

Oil burners/boilers are effective but inefficient, 85% is average, if you keep the burner and boiler cleaned and serviced. Make sure you have a licensed HVACR contractor perform a preseason maintenance cleaning. Replace the fuel filter, the nozzle, check the electrode gaps, open the boiler and vacuum out the fire box and brush clean the soot around the water jacket, have them perform a combustion analysis to determine the efficiency of the boiler.

Converting to Natural gas is the best, if it's available to you. There are many manufactures that make high efficiency boilers/instant water heaters that are compact, wall hung and pushing 97% efficient.

I just installed a Navien, natural gas fired, wall hung, low mass boiler combo instant hot water heater in a customers house. The technology is awesome, it will eventually eradicate oil fired equipment in the long run. The unit I installed is 240,000 BTUs, one of them will heat 3,000 sqft home easily, not to mention you'll never run out of hot water for bathing.

4. shanezt

shanezt corn fed Established Member

holy shit, are you joking? 60deg? i keep mine at 78deg in the winter. when its 30deg outside the poor furnace seems like it never shuts off. i cant imagine 60deg in the house.

5. D's01Snake

D's01Snake Motor City Muscle Established Member

I make a pull in my eaton cobra. I take the eaton off after said pull and set it in my living room. My house stays a comfotable 82* all winter.

6. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

If at all possible convert to natural gas. It's cheaper, cleaner, more efficient, requires less maintenance, more reliable, and is less likely to kill you.

7. 1wild-horse

1wild-horse Relax! I'm a Doctor! Established Member

97% hi efficiency forced air furnace, natural gas burning and in floor heat with a natural gas fired boiler, 180,000 btu that heats the residential hot water as well. The combination of the two is supposed to make the furnace run less and be more efficient than either one system alone. We are still in the process, will be moving in in a month.

8. jcthorne

jcthorne New Member Established Member

Natural gas here. 2800sqft. Winter months spend about $60 a month on gas. And that includes lots of use of the gas fireplace for which most of that heat goes up the chimney. Summer gas bills sit on the minimum charge of 26.

9. jbs$

jbs$ Premium Member Premium Member

If natural gas is available, convert your home to it. You will save money and hassle.

10. venom_inc

venom_inc Killing time at work. Established Member

I have natural gas with forced hot air. I keep mine set at 67 during the day and 65 at night. My stove, water heater and dryer are all natural gas and my monthly bill during the winter is around $100

11. venom_inc

venom_inc Killing time at work. Established Member

I have never heard of anyone setting it at 75+. I couldn;t imagine your bill.

12. wht93gted

wht93gted New Member Established Member

natural gas, 1500sqft, NJ, non-high efficiency furnace.
    I'm usually cold and will click it up to 69 or 70 while watching TV at night.
    Ranges about $80-$100 month

6am - 9am - 68
    9am - 5pm - 65
    5pm - 11pm - 68
    11pm - 6am - 65

13. shanezt

shanezt corn fed Established Member

my bill is very low actually, about 200.00/mo in the winter. nothing compared to when i lived in colorado.

14. YJSONLY

YJSONLY Member Established Member

Navien FTW! Awesome units! We sell and install them in Florida for are customers a lot. By far the best water heater in my opinion. And if natural gas is not available look at propane too. Propane prices vary by location (I'm a propane retailer).

15. mtrsprt

mtrsprt New Member Established Member

Smaller 1000sq ft home. 93% Efficient LP FHA. Inside temp usually set to 65-66*. VERY air tight home (built in 2008) Only used 185 gallons of propane from November to May. Heck, my electric bill is only $64-82.00/month. There's two of us.

Jake, even at 2200sq ft, you shouldn't be burning more than 100-120 gallons per month during winter months (November'ish-April) with temperature settings as you stated. When was your colonial built?

16. 90goldtsiawd

90goldtsiawd here 4 da laffs & cruelty Established Member

Off-topic, where you been with the 8-second TVS car? Haven't read an update in forever?

17. Blown_By_You

Blown_By_You Richard Head Established Member

Insulate that damn house

18. Svtkidd23

Svtkidd23 #4THGEARMATTERS Established Member

Lmao! Yes

19. GOTSVT?

GOTSVT? Propolis Established Member

Buy one of these

Life with Nest Thermostat | Nest

Oil here too. I go through about 1000 gallons per winter. Been keeping the heat at 65-69 with the little one now.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  20. rotor_powerd

rotor_powerd Active Member Established Member

Our heat is set to 75*, monthly electric bill is $200 or so. 3,500 sqft with geothermal heating.