Home heat in winter

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I order all of the free stuff from Pueblo, Co. and burn it in my fireplace, haven't paid for heat in years.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Converted to Natural Gas this year. I bought a Navien Combi unit. It is tank less on demand domestic hot water and hot water radiant heat.

I did the install myself. ( was a bit of wok to do but i saved myself thousands)

Therefore I removed my 2 year old Weil Mclean Oil fired boiler and two oil tanks, converted to natural gas in my house.

So far I love the switch... plenty of on demand hot water and heats the house better than the oil fired boiler because you can adjust the water temperatures going into your radiators. ( hotter water = faster more efficient heating)

No more struggling with oil pricing and having to shop every year... no more big electric bill due to the electric water heater..

Good luck.. North west hills Connecticut

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Converted to Natural Gas this year. I bought a Navien Combi unit. It is tank less on demand domestic hot water and hot water radiant heat.

I did the install myself. ( was a bit of wok to do but i saved myself thousands)

Therefore I removed my 2 year old Weil Mclean Oil fired boiler and two oil tanks, converted to natural gas in my house.

So far I love the switch... plenty of on demand hot water and heats the house better than the oil fired boiler because you can adjust the water temperatures going into your radiators. ( hotter water = faster more efficient heating)

No more struggling with oil pricing and having to shop every year... no more big electric bill due to the electric water heater..

Good luck.. North west hills Connecticut

What was the cost to do this?
Also, why werent you able to adjust the water temp in your old boiler?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have an oil furnace and would love to convert to gas, but he cost is very high. Yes, over the long haul you'll save money. Problem is I cannot afford the conversion. Not after all of the home repairs I made this year. :(

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I have an oil furnace and would love to convert to gas, but he cost is very high. Yes, over the long haul you'll save money. Problem is I cannot afford the conversion. Not after all of the home repairs I made this year. :(
I have heard it is like $7,000 or so?

coposrv

Established Member
holy shit, are you joking? 60deg? i keep mine at 78deg in the winter. when its 30deg outside the poor furnace seems like it never shuts off. i cant imagine 60deg in the house.

78? Are you joking?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I'm in the market for a new heating system and am leaning towards oil, which I already have. I'm looking at the new style furnace that pulls air from outside instead of sucking in my heated air from inside the house. These are supposed to be very effficient but they are much more money then the "regular" style oil burners.

I would like to know why some think gas is less likelty to kill you then an oil set up....why???

Natural gas, propane boilers, the high efficiency ones, draw in outside air for combustion. To Hell with oil.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I bought 250 gallons last week and it was $3.36

pretty sure no natural gas here.....but I'll check....thats why I was asking about the Pellet stoves....guess no one runs them.

We have oil forced air and a pellet stove. Last year was a bad winter so we used 5 tons of pellets at 210 bucks a ton. We usually only buy the minimum 200 gallons of oil when the oil company sends out their discount card in the summer ever 3 years I think. Both of our 275 gallon oil tanks are sitting 3/4 full now. We usually only use oil if the pellet stove breaks, when we are leaving the stove cool to clean it, or if it gets down below around 15 degrees it kicks on to help the pellet stove. We keep the pellet stove thermostat around 72. Very warm heat. The air coming out of the front of the stove is so hot it will burn you at times when it's running full speed.

YJSONLY

Established Member

Every install is different!!!!! It's not like just a change out of a AC unit. Some are more complex than others. And you have to keep in mind like everything your location will have different rates (due to taxes, cost of living, and such)

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
78? Are you joking?

I refuse to be uncomfortable in my own home, I am a big time energy waster. I keep the house at 78* in the winter, I run a room a/c unit in my bedroom year round, keeping it at 65deg so I can sleep. (I seal off the register in this room in winter) then I run a space heater in the bathroom to keep it hot in the mornings. I also use a towel warmer for my clothes in the morning. weird I know, but I HATE the cold, except when I sleep. even in the summer I have to sleep under a couple blankets, cant sleep with just a sheet.

I cant imagine some of the bs rates you guys out east pay just to heat your home.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
We have oil forced air and a pellet stove. Last year was a bad winter so we used 5 tons of pellets at 210 bucks a ton. We usually only buy the minimum 200 gallons of oil when the oil company sends out their discount card in the summer ever 3 years I think. Both of our 275 gallon oil tanks are sitting 3/4 full now. We usually only use oil if the pellet stove breaks, when we are leaving the stove cool to clean it, or if it gets down below around 15 degrees it kicks on to help the pellet stove. We keep the pellet stove thermostat around 72. Very warm heat. The air coming out of the front of the stove is so hot it will burn you at times when it's running full speed.

what size is your home and where is it located?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I thought it was more, but I'm honestly not sure. It would depend on how far the gas line has to be run and how much digging is needed. And then you have the cost to convert your baseboard radiator (hot water) system to a vented system. I have central air so I'm assuming I would just use the existing duct-work.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I thought it was more, but I'm honestly not sure. It would depend on how far the gas line has to be run and how much digging is needed. And then you have the cost to convert your baseboard radiator (hot water) system to a vented system. I have central air so I'm assuming I would just use the existing duct-work.

you can get natural gas boilers.

I wish I had NG available but that is the price payed for living out in the country. I hate my oil heat, went to fire it up a few days ago and the thing sputtered out some white smoke out the stack and quit. I already had service coming Friday for general inspection tune up, but it got cold fast this year and I wanted to get some heat in the house. We are in the middle of a renovation so we don't need the heat to live there, but I wanted to make sure nothing was gonna freeze.

I have been looking heavily into a pellet stove. Everyone who has them seems to rave about them.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I've got a 3000 square foot 2 story home that's heated by Propane. We have a 500 gallon in ground tank. Sometime around November last year we turned on the furnaces (2) and went through probably 1000 gallons of propane before turning off the heat in April.

I'm looking at replacing the furnaces with new 2 stage units. The ones I have are 13 years old and builder grade.

We kept our furnace at 72 through the winter.

Last edited:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
1680 square ft house...electric heat pump with a gas fireplace (in the living room) up until last winter. This summer I replaced the POS unefficient gas fireplace with a pellet stove that is located in the unfinished basement. We'll see.

jcthorne

Established Member
I've got a 3000 square foot 2 story home that's heated by Propane. We have a 500 gallon in ground tank. Sometime around November last year we turned on the furnaces (2) and went through probably 1000 gallons of propane before turning off the heat in April.

I'm looking at replacing the furnaces with new 2 stage units. The ones I have are 13 years old and builder grade.

We kept our furnace at 72 through the winter.
If natural gas is not available in your area, take a hard look at high efficiency heat pumps. They will be cheaper to run than propane or oil. Not sure against pellet stoves that is not a real comparison.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Baseboard heat is notoriously inefficient. It's like trying to heat your house with an oven in each room.

That being said, I didn't know they made gas/oil baseboard heat? I've only seen electric.

I just bought my house 3 months ago, ( electric everything ) and have yet to go over $100 on my bill. The house was built in 2008, and from everything I can see the original owner built the house with top notch insulation from the ground up.

I keep it 72* year round in my house.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Baseboard heat is notoriously inefficient. It's like trying to heat your house with an oven in each room.

That being said, I didn't know they made gas/oil baseboard heat? I've only seen electric.

I just bought my house 3 months ago, ( electric everything ) and have yet to go over $100 on my bill. The house was built in 2008, and from everything I can see the original owner built the house with top notch insulation from the ground up.

I keep it 72* year round in my house.

forced hot water baseboard

Users who are viewing this thread