How tall of a cowl hood can I run?

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I just got my 79 Camaro back from getting redone and I currently have a six inch cowl hood on it. I have had a couple people ask me if its legal and it got me to wondering about it. It is kinda hard to see over and I don't plan on leaving it on the car for more than a couple of months. I just picked it up at a deal until I can afford a nice cowl. Does anyone know what the laws are? I live in NC but I will be driving the car to my work in GA and to rod run in a few weeks in TN. Will I be okay or should I try and get a hood asap before I drive it?
Here is a pic to give you an idea
l_c9d770c6fd6762e6b21df649d3a0d7ee.jpg

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Well I just read...or attempted to read.....the NC state code. I couldn't find the equipment section. I can tell you that VA (which doesn't help you) is 4in.

Most states say that a person can not modify the OEM parts on a vehicle. I have not seen a state that doesn't have that written in the code.

I would say....that hood is WAY too high. But, I personally wouldnt pull you over.

Hopefully, a NC LEO will chime in.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Even if there is a section that defines the maximum height cowl hood... I'm sure there is a section for obstruction of view. Based on the picture, I would say that falls into the obstruction of view category.

jshen

Established Member
No offense, but I would pull that car over for suspect moonshine running..GA doesn't have a statute addressing cowl height.....unless view is obstructed in some way as stated above.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
My friend has a 3 and a half inch cowl on his 05 GT. Needless to say its a treat to drive that thing. As long as you know where the front of the bumper is :dw:

He lives in Atlanta with minimal issues surprisingly.

STG

Banned
Most states say that a person can not modify the OEM parts on a vehicle. I have not seen a state that doesn't have that written in the code.

You have obviously misread and partially forgotten various statutes related to OEM emissions equipment and/or exhaust.

97cobra1

Established Member
That thing gonna get painted before the car shows up here? Gonna need to know what that thing looks like so i can harrass you when i see you.:poke:

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
you have obviously misread and partially forgotten various statutes related to oem emissions equipment and/or exhaust.

well i just read...or attempted to read.....the nc state code. I couldn't find the equipment section. I can tell you that va (which doesn't help you) is 4in.

Most states say that a person can not modify the oem parts on a vehicle. I have not seen a state that doesn't have that written in the code.

I would say....that hood is way too high. But, i personally wouldnt pull you over.

Hopefully, a nc leo will chime in.

:lol:

mkb116

Established Member
<-- Knows nothing about specific NC vehicle code. I am sure an officer could articulate that the hood blocks your view and is a safety concern.

Hell, if you aren't allowed to have anything hanging from your rear view mirror (California specifically) because its a visual hazard, then that hood could damn sure also be considered a visual hazard.

Personally, I think it looks bad ass! (after a paint job)

jshen

Established Member
NC statute- Chapter 20, Article 3, Part 9 addresses equipment of vehicles and is silent as to cowl height.

Juruense

Banned
How high of a cowl hood you can run depends on how ****ing stupid you are willing to have your car look.

Users who are viewing this thread