• Welcome to SVT Performance, your home for all things SVT

How tall of a cowl hood can I run?

Discussion in 'Donut Shop' started by cobra_4, Aug 26, 2008.

1. cobra_4

cobra_4 SEFB Established Member

I just got my 79 Camaro back from getting redone and I currently have a six inch cowl hood on it. I have had a couple people ask me if its legal and it got me to wondering about it. It is kinda hard to see over and I don't plan on leaving it on the car for more than a couple of months. I just picked it up at a deal until I can afford a nice cowl. Does anyone know what the laws are? I live in NC but I will be driving the car to my work in GA and to rod run in a few weeks in TN. Will I be okay or should I try and get a hood asap before I drive it?
    Here is a pic to give you an idea
    [​IMG]

2. SnakeEyes03

SnakeEyes03 MTC Established Member

Well I just read...or attempted to read.....the NC state code. I couldn't find the equipment section. I can tell you that VA (which doesn't help you) is 4in.

Most states say that a person can not modify the OEM parts on a vehicle. I have not seen a state that doesn't have that written in the code.

I would say....that hood is WAY too high. But, I personally wouldnt pull you over.

Hopefully, a NC LEO will chime in.

3. Scout238

Scout238 Eaton Poweredddddd!!! Established Member

Even if there is a section that defines the maximum height cowl hood... I'm sure there is a section for obstruction of view. Based on the picture, I would say that falls into the obstruction of view category.

4. jshen

jshen Active Member Established Member

No offense, but I would pull that car over for suspect moonshine running..GA doesn't have a statute addressing cowl height.....unless view is obstructed in some way as stated above.

5. LostRacer

LostRacer I drive a Jalopy Established Member

My friend has a 3 and a half inch cowl on his 05 GT. Needless to say its a treat to drive that thing. As long as you know where the front of the bumper is :dw:

He lives in Atlanta with minimal issues surprisingly.

6. STG

STG Banned

You have obviously misread and partially forgotten various statutes related to OEM emissions equipment and/or exhaust.

7. 97cobra1

97cobra1 New Member Established Member

That thing gonna get painted before the car shows up here? Gonna need to know what that thing looks like so i can harrass you when i see you.:poke:

8. Scout238

Scout238 Eaton Poweredddddd!!! Established Member

:lol:

9. mkb116

mkb116 I'm a speedaholic. Established Member

<-- Knows nothing about specific NC vehicle code. I am sure an officer could articulate that the hood blocks your view and is a safety concern.

Hell, if you aren't allowed to have anything hanging from your rear view mirror (California specifically) because its a visual hazard, then that hood could damn sure also be considered a visual hazard.

Personally, I think it looks bad ass! (after a paint job)

10. jshen

jshen Active Member Established Member

NC statute- Chapter 20, Article 3, Part 9 addresses equipment of vehicles and is silent as to cowl height.

11. Green92notch

Green92notch New Member Established Member

that thing is silly huge!!! lol

12. Blackness03

Blackness03 New Member Established Member

:lol:

13. Juruense

Juruense Banned

How high of a cowl hood you can run depends on how ****ing stupid you are willing to have your car look.