How To Adjust Clutch Cable

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
SicStang03 said:
How do i readjust if i broke the plastic hook and move the metal thing already??
Don't worry about that hook, I broke mine off too. Just adjust it like you did before but are you sure that the plate is not making contact with the adjuster? It shouldn't have loosened up if the mod is done correctly.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
jmproductions said:
Don't worry about that hook, I broke mine off too. Just adjust it like you did before but are you sure that the plate is not making contact with the adjuster? It shouldn't have loosened up if the mod is done correctly.

It didn't loosen up, I just still haver a little tension going into third at 6K... The plate is moved and i can't use a screwdriver to place on top of the metal and keep the white thing still while I adjust. I have tried everything but can't apply the pressure to adjust now that i moved the metal... what do i do?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
You could try pushing up on the adjuster with a piece of wood or something that won't damage it. It's also possible that your clutch is adjusted properly already and maybe you have another issue. Changing the trans fluid over to Synchromesh made more of a difference with my car's shifting at WOT than anything else.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
jmproductions said:
You could try pushing up on the adjuster with a piece of wood or something that won't damage it. It's also possible that your clutch is adjusted properly already and maybe you have another issue. Changing the trans fluid over to Synchromesh made more of a difference with my car's shifting at WOT than anything else.

Ya I'm due for a tranny flush... Synchromesh you say...
It's not that bad but i just don't have a chance to powershift with out bouncing on rev limiter a couple of times before it goes in, at least from 2-3rd

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
UPDATE::::: i'd be careful about doing this mod. i adjusted mine so the clutch wasn't grabbing at the floor, and now, it won't stay adjusted---i have the opposite problem--the clutch grabs as the pedal is completely let up. and i did bend the metal plate out of the way completely. i've tried a few times to adjust the teeth so that the clutch grabs lower to the floor, and after a few shifts, the clutch quadrant clicks a few times, and the pedal is grabbing at the very top again. i'm going to get under the dash this weekend and see if i can find a solution.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
and after a few shifts, the clutch quadrant clicks a few times
Something doesn't sound right. Once you get the plate out of the way the clutch should NOT re-adjust itself ever. You need to get under there and see what's going on. Maybe the plate is still making contact with something or you have broken teeth on the adjuster(s). BTW if the clutch is properly set up it should start grabbing closer to the top of the pedal travel. The whole point of this mod is to allow the clutch to become completely disengaged during shifts as it does not in stock form.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
BTW if the clutch is properly set up it should start grabbing closer to the top of the pedal travel. The whole point of this mod is to allow the clutch to become completely disengaged during shifts as it does not in stock form.

this was my understanding of the mod, as my clutch used to grab all the way down at the floor. now my clutch grabs all the way at the top (as soon as i put my foot on the clutch, i'm able to shift the car). in fact, one time the quadrant clicked so much that the clutch burned just a bit (clutch would not allow the pressure plate to compress the disc on the flywheel). i just got under the car to see what the problem was/is. the metal plate is not touching at all--it is bent out of the way. its almost as if the spring tension on the smaller toothed plastic component is not strong enough to keep the larger toothed quadrant it in its current location. as soon i disengage the tooth mechanism and pull down on the white hook, it wants to go back up, and it will 'click' back on the other toothed component until it goes back to the original position. i can hold the smaller toothed plastic part against the larger one, and it will stay, but as soon as i take my finger off the smaller component, it allows the quadrant to click right back. i'm at a loss here, and since my car is going to be down for the winter soon, i may just go with a quadrant/firewall adjuster/new cable set-up

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
its not aweful, the clutch still works perfectly fine, i just would like it to grab a bit lower. i have about 1-2 more weeks of driving left before i lay the car up for the winter, and i'm going to change to a firewall adjuster, aftermarket quadrant and cable setup. i'm not sure anything is broken.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
its not aweful, the clutch still works perfectly fine, i just would like it to grab a bit lower. i have about 1-2 more weeks of driving left before i lay the car up for the winter, and i'm going to change to a firewall adjuster, aftermarket quadrant and cable setup. i'm not sure anything is broken.

Don't worry, kirks5oh. Mine does the same thing. But my issue before was that I couldn't even get into 3rd gear so I'm loving the 6k shifts to 3rd now!!! :rockon:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i was looking at UPR website, and it seems they sell a triple adjustable quadrant, firewall adjuster, and a cable for pretty cheap--i might go that way, or maybe fiore--but i'm definitely changing things up this winter--

i have a BBK cable/quadrant setup in my '87 and it has worked just fine for over 8 years

TrickStang37

Established Member
UPDATE::::: i'd be careful about doing this mod. i adjusted mine so the clutch wasn't grabbing at the floor, and now, it won't stay adjusted---i have the opposite problem--the clutch grabs as the pedal is completely let up. and i did bend the metal plate out of the way completely. i've tried a few times to adjust the teeth so that the clutch grabs lower to the floor, and after a few shifts, the clutch quadrant clicks a few times, and the pedal is grabbing at the very top again. i'm going to get under the dash this weekend and see if i can find a solution.

I think i know what happened with yours. Same happened with mine at first. If you lift the pedal, the adjuster will tension it to the new height, bringin the pedal that much higher.

As for bending that metal tab, I found it very easy. Just use a monkey wrench. This mod took about 2 minutes but worth it. And for getting it to click into the right position, i didnt even move the pedal. Just put both hands in there, one on the actual tensioning piece and the other where the cable is anchored.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I think i know what happened with yours. Same happened with mine at first. If you lift the pedal, the adjuster will tension it to the new height, bringin the pedal that much higher.

mine will click without even putting my foot under the pedal. i've got it at a reasonable height right now, but i'm getting a quadrant/firewall adjuster over the winter

Users who are viewing this thread