How to make a Pulley Puller, and save some money

Jroc

Established Member
IMO pulley pullers are too much money for what they are, but you need them so I made my own.

I work in a machine shop so I can make one look pretty nice, but you can still do this with some simple tools that most people should have at their house.

Note: This is just how I made one, and it could of been made differently, but I'm just showing you what I did.

Parts list:
- 1 - CRS Plate - 3.875 x 4.375 x .625
- 1 - CRS Plate - 3.875 x 4.375 x .500
- 4 - 1/4-20 x 3 1/2 SHCS
- 1 - 5/8-11 x 3 1/2 SHCS
- 1 - 5/8 Washer
- 1 - 5/8-11 Nut
3350HPIM0373.JPG

1)Get your material.(The hole in the one piece means nothing. Its just some scrape metal I found)
975HPIM0363.JPG

2)Lay out you hole locations, center punch them.(I forgot to layout the middle hole. I didn't actually center punch my holes as I charted them in a Mill, I was just showing an example)
5319HPIM0364.JPG

3)Clamp the plates together, and drill through with a #7 drill on the outside holes, and a 41/64 drill on the center hole.(I used a mill, but you can use C-clamps and a hand drill. A drill press would be a great asset though)
4900HPIM0365.JPG

4)I bored out the center of the plate that fits behind the pulley to get the radius right, but if you don't have the tools for this then go to the next step.
5793HPIM0366.JPG

5)Going off the center line scribe you some lines to make you a slot 2.5" wide. If you couldn't do the above step then your going to have to cut/saw the radius out piece by piece. It doesn't have to be perfect or anything to get the job done. Just scribe some lines, and follow them, and cut it out in several pieces.
1379HPIM0367.JPG

6)Tap the 1/4-20 holes in the plate that goes behind the pulley. On the plate that goes in front of the pulley drill open the #7 holes with a 9/32 drill bit.

7)Assemble it like is shown in the picture.
7087HPIM0375.JPG

8)With it over the pulley like this put a wrench on the Hex nut and use a wrench on the screw and go to town. Be carefuls as the pulley is has quite a press on it and is very tight.
2031HPIM0368.JPG

2965HPIM0369.JPG

7055HPIM0370.JPG

This I would change if I did it again.

-First I would make it about 1/4 to 3/8 wider. This should fit a stock pulley, but you will probably have to take the two bottom screws out and slip it over the pulley then screw them in. It measures about 3.640 between screw and you have to take into account the lips on the factory pulley. The factory pulley is 3.600".
Image Hosting

-Second I would use 3/8-16 SHCS instead of 1/4-20 SHCS. Bigger = Stronger.

-Third I would use thicker material for the plate that goes behid the pulley. I bent the 1/2 one a little which makes the other plate not slide on the bolts as well as it should. Using 3 bolts in a triangle pattern might have also helped it not to bend.
6712HPIM0372.JPG

-Fourth I would drill and tap a hold in the end of the 5/8-11 screw, and turn down, and mount a small piece of brass on the end of it.(You could probably also use aluminum. Just something softer than steel. Brass is tuffer than aluminum though, but its still soft)

I put a 1/4 washer between the shaft on the blower and the bolt, but it kind of tore threw the washer, and ate into the end of the shaft alittle bit messing up the threaded hole. I didn't know that until I had the pulley off. Like I said that things on there tight and takes some work to remove.(The Torn washer is sitting on top of the snot in the picture)
2879HPIM0371.JPG

Here are some drawings I made.
3349rfdbdsv.jpg

1096File0007.jpg

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
That is some pretty niffty work their. But for me it was easier and cheaper to borrow one. can u still place the rubber snap in the end of the snout after that??

I'm going to have to clean up the hole on the end of the snout. Its kind of buggered up.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Very neat...the only pulley puller I will ever use is Billetflow...it's simply the best built...

Jroc

Established Member
Very neat...the only pulley puller I will ever use is Billetflow...it's simply the best built...

I agree that Billetflow does make a nice looking pulley puller. I also like the Pulley Boys pulley puller, and think its a nice looking piece.
Pulley Boys - Ford SVT - Puller Tool

Still nice aftermarket pulley pullers are not cheap if you plan on owning one.

SETOMPK

Established Member
Or you could just use a power steering pulley puller and installer but thats just me. You could even borrow one from advance for free.

Users who are viewing this thread