If your seat belts don't retract properly, look inside

Satyr

Established Member
When I got my cobra, I noticed that the seat belt was not retracting properly. It would go in slightly, but would quickly stop its retraction and fall out of the car once the door was opened. I tried disconnecting the belt and removing any twists in the belt, but that only helped a little.

While browsing to see if anyone else had the problem, I started looking for the method for increasing the torque of the belt spring, and found this: How To Fix Your Crappy Seatbelt Retractors

I haven't done it yet but am going to next weekend. Seems like a very good fix; thought I would share.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Yea my front passenger seat is absolutely horrible. I will be attempting this in the next few weeks. It's sad that everyone that gets in my car tells me how nice it is all the way up until they take their seatbelt off and find out it doesn't go up on its own!

hotcobra03

Established Member
i just had to change 1...i didnt look for write up but i did pull back panel and removed the roll-over switch now both belts retract great...i too thought they should have a recall..when mine got stuck someone was in the seat..we had to cut belt to get person out

roll over switchs
0311111007a_87173.jpg

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
i just had to change 1...i didnt look for write up but i did pull back panel and removed the roll-over switch now both belts retract great...i too thought they should have a recall..when mine got stuck someone was in the seat..we had to cut belt to get person out

roll over switchs
0311111007a_87173.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong, but when I took mine apart, those looked like the pieces that actually create the force on the belt in the chance of an accident. Has anything changed since you took those out?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but when I took mine apart, those looked like the pieces that actually create the force on the belt in the chance of an accident. Has anything changed since you took those out?

the belt still locks if you stop fast.or even yank on it fast.if thats what you are asking

Satyr

Established Member
the belt still locks if you stop fast.or even yank on it fast.if thats what you are asking

Okay, thanks for the clarity. I thought that's what those pieces are for.
Do you know what they do? Tightening a spring is one thing, but I am hesitant to begin removing pieces of the restraint system lol.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Okay, thanks for the clarity. I thought that's what those pieces are for.
Do you know what they do? Tightening a spring is one thing, but I am hesitant to begin removing pieces of the restraint system lol.

its for when you roll your car..it locks the belt.( roll-over switch)

it works like a tilt on a pinball machine

sorry there are two treads now floating...i had to change the passengerside..left and right are different..i could only find a leftside at junkyard..(02-04 mustang only)so while i was trying to test belt in hand it kept locking like mine always did..than i went to take it apart and when i removed that switch it worked fine..i think that lever might still catch in a roll-over,it does in hand
0311110903a_327578.jpg

0311110902a_345454-1.jpg

0311110903b_346668.jpg

im more worried about the air bags working..heres my friends truck,he`s air bags didnt deploy in a roll over
01-02-10_1638.jpg

quick88lx

Established Member
from massachusettes/ staioned in louisiana
in a vehicle with only front airbags they wont go off in a roll over like that unless the was a significant impact in the front of the car strong enough to have the bumper come in contact with the firing switch or whatever initiating system the manufacturer used on said vehicle

Satyr

Established Member
Had to go back and do mine again this weekend. I had pulled the belt out too much and the spring rolled and released, but things are back to good now.

Users who are viewing this thread