Installing a built Aluminum block, Lunati cams, 3.6 LC KB and more.

shelby mark

Established Member
are those the stock cam timing chains? along with the stock passenger side tensioner for the chain, they appear to be in the picture. mark

Ironhand

Banned
Looks good.

The timing mark on the passenger side head looks like its off alignment tho. I didnt know that Ford had different colored springs for intake and exhaust on those heads.

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
I can't believe that MMR doesn't Double key the crank on these things:( What balencer are you running? I had innovators west build me a Ford Gt Supercar dampner with a pinning kit to pin the crank and have the factory key way. This is something that you could do in the car and its something we do on all the ls1 stuff. Anyways nice build but these big blowers are hard on the factory keyway. Trust me I just wrecked a Ford Gt supercar crank with the stock balencer on it in 15 pulls on the dyno 33lbs of boost. But the GT stock balencers are like a 07 balencer. 22lbs. My own fault for not changing it sooner, Live and learn I guess. But none the less these cranks only have about 1 inch of keyway and crank snout for the balancer to ride on.

Last edited:

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
are those the stock cam timing chains? along with the stock passenger side tensioner for the chain, they appear to be in the picture. mark
On the last set of pics, that was the stock set-up that I took pictures of during tear down. I am now running the MMR Chains and passenger side Tensioner.
EnginePics141.jpg

Looks good.

The timing mark on the passenger side head looks like its off alignment tho. I didnt know that Ford had different colored springs for intake and exhaust on those heads.
Thanks man. That is a pic of the stock, factory timing and it ran fine before teardown. Now, to be honest, I never paid attention to the timing during teardown and I probably should have. Going back together, I checked and rechecked had the shop owner check and then we both looked at it again to make sure it was timed correctly. That is probably the most read section of my shop manuals.

I can't believe that MMR doesn't Double key the crank on these things:( What balencer are you running? I had innovators west build me a Ford Gt Supercar dampner with a pinning kit to pin the crank and have the factory key way. This is something that you could do in the car and its something we do on all the ls1 stuff. Anyways nice build but these big blowers are hard on the factory keyway. Trust me I just wrecked a Ford Gt supercar crank with the stock balencer on it in 15 pulls on the dyno 33lbs of boost. But the GT stock balencers are like a 07 balencer. 22lbs. My own fault for not changing it sooner, Live and learn I guess. But none the less these cranks only have about 1 inch of keyway and crank snout for the balancer to ride on.

Thanks Dan, I'm running the IW 10% over damper. With this damper, is it still worth looking into the pinning and if so, can I go directly through IW for the set-up. I'm always interested in ways to save money and time down the road.

While I'm at it, some more pics men.

Finally starting to look like something. Cams, Springs and heads installed.
EnginePics100.jpg

This is the Lash adjusters and rockers bagged and tagged to go back in the exact place from which they came.
EnginePics094.jpg

You can just barely see the timing links and the large sprockets' marks. The secondary chains have a case hardened "blue" color to line up on the sprockets.
EnginePics109.jpg

EnginePics111.jpg

EnginePics108.jpg

This is from about 2 weeks ago.I was finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
EnginePics136.jpg

This is what my buddy said he was gonna install after I left that evening. I told him he better look up Don if he's gonna try to tackle that one.
EnginePics114.jpg

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
I would call out there and talk to Chris. Tell him i sent ya. I really think its important to have two keys or a key and a roll pin. Especially if your going to be running alot of boost. Also its cheaper now than later down the road to replace the crank and hub on balencer when it wrecks.

Here is the Problem with the factory key way. It starts in the middle of the crank and is only a half moon. Then the keyway wings out over the crank to make it extend all the way to the ends of the crank. There is really no support in this area and being the factory crank snout is only a 1'' long for the balncer to ride on. There is only really good keyway support for about 1/2 of an inch. If I use a factory crank again I will cut the key way the length of the crank and then add a second key way.

Also I see your still using the Gt500 factory lower gear and cam gears. This is also a bad idea as the crank gear is very small and they do break. (ASK SHELBy MARK) The Cobra Jets now use navi stuff which is the same as the ford GT supercar stuff. Ford used the smaller stuff on the gt500 engines so the valve covers would clear the frame rail when setting the motor in. All you gotta do with the Ford GT supercar valve covers/bigger timing gears is remove the sway bar and push the motor alittle more forward towards the radiator as the motor goes in and its all good. Any serious build and I would not use the shelby stock stuff and it should only be maybe 250-300 for all the stuff.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
^^
Good info Dan. I'm getting my list together on items for building the whipple/aluminuim block 2010 CJ for superstock. We had great luck on the NA 4.6 with the comp cams adjustable timing gears and was thinking about going that route with the CJ. I knew the GT used the different sized cam gears but didn't realize the 5.4s had issues with the others.

skyhighsd

Established Member
Miss a lot not coming on the site as often as I used to. Nice project quadedaddy GL with it:beer:

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Hey Guys, thanks a lot. Yes, I got the motor in last weekend and hopefully get it started this coming Saturday. Tomorrow evening I'll post pics of how things are going and where we stand. Thanks for all the support and suggestions men.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Good luck Quade and I'll be anxious to see this sucker in person to say the least. You da' man!

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Hey guys, been pretty busy with the kids and the baseball season starting for them. I've made some good progress the last couple Saturdays and I figured I had better do some updating.

Thank you all for the comments and I hope it will help someone on here out in the future.

Posi (Brian), thanks my brother and I hope we get a lot of racing out of this thing together. That Terminator of yours is incredible with a stock blower. Jon has posted the vids of your car from the other night at Clay City and, like I said, that thing is awesome.

On with the pics.

This is the state of the engine shortly after my last post. Timed and the front cover installed with some pulleys bolted up.

EnginePics152.jpg

I couldn't resist just sitting that big huffer up on top to get a peek. WOW!

EnginePics165.jpg

This is the difference in the Poly and the Delrin mounts I had a buddy mill for me. Along with these and the 1/8" spacer in the K-member, it has been lowered 15/16".

EnginePics175.jpg

Delrin installed.

EnginePics180.jpg

Sitting under the car plumbed and waiting for it to come down.

EnginePics179.jpg

Switches on the lower console for the IC pump, IC fan and Line Lock. Line lock is momentary and the other two are on/off with light indicators.

EnginePics195.jpg

KB Boost-a-pump installed. Guys, these things are really easy to install. Don't sweat the install. Also, check out the install in the "how-to" section by Chris. It was all I needed. The only difference is that I ran the pressure switch.

EnginePics199.jpg

Finally, put back up where it belongs.

EnginePics202.jpg

Couldn't resist putting it back up for a look.

EnginePics206.jpg

And.....the side view.

EnginePics211.jpg

MGW shifter was installed instead of using the Pro 5.0 this year. Also, I installed a Granatelli Line lock that day.

EnginePics215.jpg

This is how the car is sitting right now from underneath. If I have a good day Friday, I may be starting it Saturday.

EnginePics218.jpg

Well, that's it for now and I hope to have more pics this Friday and, maybe, a start-up vid on Saturday. I've checked, rechecked, torqued and retorqued everything possible and had plenty of friends go behind me and check things too, but, I'm still nervous about the first start:xpl:.

DMotorsports

Established Member
This is absolutely inspirational. Lots of good info in this thread, which I will be referring to when I eventually do my build. Keep it coming and good luck! :thumbsup:

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
This is absolutely inspirational. Lots of good info in this thread, which I will be referring to when I eventually do my build. Keep it coming and good luck! :thumbsup:

Thank ya my friend. Hopefully we'll get some racing in soon. I have a ton more pics with info for all of them that your more than welcome to when you start yours. These pics are kinda just the highlights. The knowledge base on this web site is incredible. These guys made it easy for me.

Come on already..lets see some track times!!!!

Great build by the way!!!

Thanks Bull, I want see some new slips as bad as anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread