Intercooled Kenne Bell 1996 Cobra

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I posted this in the Kenne Bell Forum but didn't get much response. Perhaps someone here can be more helpful.

"I'm sure that most of you are familiar with the fact that all KB kits for the '96-'98 Cobras are non-intercooled. There simply wasn't enough room to drop an '03 Cobra style intercooler between the B-series dual port heads. With no intercooler and no bypass, these kits and cars also seem to run into a brick wall in power production at around 370-400 rwhp.

I am in the process of rebuilding my '96 Mystic, and I want to overcome this problem. I have a spare set of '99 Cobra heads, and I want to use them along with a 2.1 Liter intercooled kit for a '99 Cobra. Has anyone done this before? If so, what kind of problems can I expect? Would KB be able to offer any tech support?

I just wish KB would take my 1.5L in on trade. I'm not enthused about spending $4k on a rebuild and another $6k on an entirely new supercharger kit."

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
from what I can tell, it's gonna come down to placement- if you look at pictures of a new edge cobra and then the SN95 cobras, things are placed differently, such as the alternator, so if I were you, instead of finding out that you're going to have to do basically an eaton swap (cause I've asked this before) look on you car with a picture of a new edge kenne bell kit and decide.

Toasty

Established Member
from what I can tell, it's gonna come down to placement- if you look at pictures of a new edge cobra and then the SN95 cobras, things are placed differently, such as the alternator, so if I were you, instead of finding out that you're going to have to do basically an eaton swap (cause I've asked this before) look on you car with a picture of a new edge kenne bell kit and decide.

The 99-01 new edge cars have the alternator in exactly the same place as the 96-98 cars IIRC. The KB intercooled 99-01 kit has a alternator relocation bracket/mount IIRC.

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
I posted this in the Kenne Bell Forum but didn't get much response. Perhaps someone here can be more helpful.

"I'm sure that most of you are familiar with the fact that all KB kits for the '96-'98 Cobras are non-intercooled. There simply wasn't enough room to drop an '03 Cobra style intercooler between the B-series dual port heads. With no intercooler and no bypass, these kits and cars also seem to run into a brick wall in power production at around 370-400 rwhp.

I am in the process of rebuilding my '96 Mystic, and I want to overcome this problem. I have a spare set of '99 Cobra heads, and I want to use them along with a 2.1 Liter intercooled kit for a '99 Cobra. Has anyone done this before? If so, what kind of problems can I expect? Would KB be able to offer any tech support?

I just wish KB would take my 1.5L in on trade. I'm not enthused about spending $4k on a rebuild and another $6k on an entirely new supercharger kit."

Its do-able. You need a 99-01 timing cover I believe and a some various bits of fab work and wiring changes/extensions.

HOWEVER, I'd suggest skipping the 99-01 setup and locate a 03-04 conversion kit. They often come up for sale in the market here. Once you convert to a basic 03-04 pulley system, 99+ heads and lower intake/intercooler, you can run a Eaton, a KB, or a whipple.

KB is a joke for tech support. Seriously. Call 3 different times over a 3 week period and ask the same question and see how many answers you get.

Users who are viewing this thread