Kenne Bell SN95 owners opinions please.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
OK to start off with yes I have used the search button quite extensively for a few days. I got alot of info but now I would like your opinions. Those of you who own or have owned in the past an SN95 with a KB 1.5 1.7 or preferably a 2.1. I am interested in getting one for my car but I want to know if it is worth it in your opinion or would you suggest another alternative. A little background I have had two other blower cars an 03 with a SteggyIV and an 06 with a Roush M90 Blower. I have also had another SN95 a vert N/A. I am not interested in drag racing other than to say I have done it once or twice, I wouldn't mind autocrossing if I found the right set up, but I am mainly interested in weekend driving with the ability to step on the go peddle and enjoy what happens. I liked the Terminator and the 06 but health issues and adult responsibilities forced me to do the right thing and sell. Overall I liked the 06 better I am not a small guy and it was just a better fit although not as fast, so having that kinda power of the SN95 would be fine with me. I am aware centri's would give more but have read where some don't really notice it in street applications the way they might with a positive displacement unit. I am just wanting to know since I am on a very tight budget and don't want to have to forge my motor til I have to due to ie: damage, then I would like to increase displacement. So would just buying the kit for the 2.1 from KB and running what they recommend boost wise would one think the motor should last and that I could get into the mid 300's or am I biting off more than I can chew as far as having to upgrade a multitude of things. I have looked at the centri's and turbos but think there is just too much there for what I am trying to achieve. I would appreciate it if those who have had or have KB's would reply not those who have another type and think there's is better I understand why they may be, but I think this is the way I want to go unless a negative sense is percieved about this route then I will probably just leave it alone. The car has 55K on it by the way and is stock except for a few apppearance goodies. Thanks for your input and sorry about the lengthy post.:beer:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
hello ther well i have a kb 1.5l and have had a wonderful experiance with it you should not have to forge your motor if you stay under 10 psi also use a water meth kit it really helps a lot keeping you even more safe. as for when i first had it i had the 9 psi pulley and made 350 rwhp 350 rwtq same as a stock 03-04 cobra i then went to 12 psi current and with water meth made 372 rwhp and 388 rwtq it would of been a lot more but the car was heatsoaked for many back to back pulls and it was 90* in the shop let me tell you this car is a handfull with the kb the torque that they put out at such low rpm is crazy i cant get traction at all unless i use drag radials and it will still spin slightly this is an awesome set up for street/strip and if you feel the need for even more power you can run a shot of nitrous on it. but if you stay with the stock motor keep it under 10 psi with a safe tune and 350 rwhp is what you will have:beer:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
also you will not need to change anything the kit comes with a fmu and boost a pump so your stock injectors can still be used but i switched to 42lb injectors when i did mine

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for all the info I have read alot of posts from you and see you are pretty active on threads regarding KB's I would like more info on how your car was when you were on the stock internals if you ever had the blower on there prior to your build. I see you like the meth lol but I was wondering what I could expect just running the kit as it comes from KB and at the levels they recomend any comments or info appreciated and thanks again.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Also I should mention that I live in Colorado and all we have access to octane wise is 91. I can't remember the octane available in NM so I intend to stay on the lower end of the boost range as KB recommends on there site. For as long as I can resist the temptation lol.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
So would just buying the kit for the 2.1 from KB and running what they recommend boost wise would one think the motor should last and that I could get into the mid 300's or am I biting off more than I can chew as far as having to upgrade a multitude of things.
I have the 1.7 on my 96 Cobra. It's at 6#, no meth on a stock bottom end. I have a fairly conservative tune (I tune it myself with the PRP) and see 341hp/357tq. I have been driving her hard for the past two years, daily driver, and the bottom end is holding up fine so far. You will like the low RPM grunt, but don't expect anything like the Termi. You will be able to spank M3s.

Trust but verify the KB tune by getting a baseline dyno done after the kit is on. Mine was very lean up top, so the shop that installed it for me convinced me to upgrade to 42# injectors and an LMAF. The next KB tune for that combo was very rich and the third went very lean again. So KB gave up and refunded the tune part of the cost so I could get a custom tune. The shop fired their tuner in the middle of this process. I ultimately went with the PRP so I can tune it myself because I was so frustrated.

Long story short: Check the KB tune. If it is bad, try working with KB. They are good about it but you have to be persistent getting through on the phone. If you need a custom tune, make sure you get a tuner who knows what he's doing, or you may spend more time and money than you need to.

Last edited:

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Nice numbers that's pretty stout I would be happy to get to the mid threes forgive my ignorance but what does LMAF stand for and as far as the tuner PRP is that a Predator I am at 5400 feet so I am definately going to have it checked thanks for the info.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Nice numbers that's pretty stout I would be happy to get to the mid threes forgive my ignorance but what does LMAF stand for and as far as the tuner PRP is that a Predator I am at 5400 feet so I am definately going to have it checked thanks for the info.
The LMAF is a 90mm Lightning Mass Air Flow sensor. If your combo pulls too much air through the MAF sensor, the MAF output voltage goes over 5V. But the PCM can't see inputs higher than 5V, so you need to scale the voltage down as in a MAFia or get a bigger MAF, such as the LMAF. The PRP is SCT's Pro-Racer Package which consists of Advantage III software for a notebook PC. It works in conjunction with an Xcal2 (in my case) or an Xcal3 handheld tuner.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for all the info I can't believe the little KB could need a 90mm maf thats crazy I thought only the 03's and such needed that. Can it be handled with just a mafia or an sct2400 or something like that as well?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
well i never ran the kb on stock motor i built the motor and then decided to go with the kb for good reasons. my friend has a 98 with a paxton and it is a snail off the line when messing around in the streets so thats why i went with the positive displacement. as far as octane goes i too live at 5500 ft and 91 is all we have it works fine because the higher altitude i do throw in torco accelerator just to be on the safe side i tuned for it also along with the water meth with 23* timing when i was at 9 psi i never used the meth, then i went to 10 and still did not use it until i went 12psi just to serve as my intercooler. like i said i am at 12 psi with longtube headers o/r h pipe mild port job on my heads and 9.2:1 compression and im only at 372 hp and 388 tq where some people say they have a lot more at lower psi im not sure but mabey it has to do with 5500 ft above sea level. all i know is with my current set up and my suspension set up the way it is i can run in the high 11s with street tires and probly mid to low with drag radials i guess dyno numbers dont do justice on these kb if you have it set up right.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Altitude is a killer on dyno numbers they look pitiful unless you have big power and they would look better at sea level obviosly. I am origianlly from So-Cal so I noticed the difference when I moved and when I dynoed it was sadly confirmed. LOL

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
^+1 but i do love my kb i would not trade it for any other if i want more power i will just throw on a 150-200 shot of nitrous:banana: plus that blower whine is too cool

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Agreed on the whine had to other PD blowers and you can't beat the sound imo as far as the NOS I heard the impellars were prone to some kind of damage if NOS was used.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i know what you mean bro the water meth is good to have on any boost level it really cools the supercharger and raises the octane to 100+ and it only costs around 400 for the kit i installed it in a day the kit i use is the snow performance stage2 maf system

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I can't believe the little KB could need a 90mm maf thats crazy
All I can say for sure is that the stock KB tune was very lean up top for my car. But then I suspect the shop tuner did not know what he was doing, and sold me 42# injectors and an LMAF I did not need. If you upgrade to bigger injectors, you remove the FMB which they did, but you also then need to index the fuel pressure regulator to boost, not vacuum which they did not do. I got so frustrated with the whole experience, I decided to learn how to do it myself. I was lucky enough to attend a session of Don LaSota's SCT dealer training. I learned a lot in the process, but it cost me a lot of time and money to get it right. At least the shop didn't blow my engine in the process.

Bottom line, make sure you work with people who know what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread