Kenne Bell SN95 owners opinions please.

AKPony

Established Member
I think it was so they could just make one blower for many formats instead of haveing the 1.5 1.7 and so on for the different cars.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
yeah cooler air temps at same boost level also the blower moves more air so it is more efficient than the 1.5 also the new design of the 2.1 is a lot quieter than the 1.5 i would go for it or look for a used one fairly cheap and rebuild it for a lot cheaper but if you get a new one you will have every thing you need for the hook up throttle cable manifold etc... any way you go you will love it

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Could you elaborate as to the different blowers for different cars I was unaware there was a specific blower for specific cars.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
the 1.5 and later 1.7 were autorotor design same as the famous 2.2 cobra design back in the good ol days kenne bell designed a new case and their own rotors and made bigger displacement s/c such as 2.1 for 96-98 and 2.1 for 99-01 but choice of intercooled or non intercooled for that year and even the 2.6 and 2.8 for the 03-04 basically kb made there own new casings and rotors and do not buy their rotors from auto rotor any longer the 96-98 cobra first had the 1.5 then the 1.7 and now the new 2.1 that is it

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I have a 1.5 KB on my 98 Cobra. I'm running 8# of boost and it puts down 360 rwhp and the rwtq is about the same. It's a street car so I pretty happy with the performance. The only downside of the unit, there is no inter-cooler option...no room to grow.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
That's not a bad idea does anyone know what a set of C heads costs and what kind of costs and other parts would be involved in such a swap as I assume the blower is about the same just intercooled so the price should be close I'm guessing.

The intercooled 99/01 kit is like $7k if I remember correctly. You can just look on KB's website. Plus the cost of switching heads so it's pretty expensive.

Toasty

Established Member
The intercooled 99/01 kit is like $7k if I remember correctly. You can just look on KB's website. Plus the cost of switching heads so it's pretty expensive.

Yes, but you can buy used 03-04 lower intake and intercooler, pump and intercooler tank (plus supporting bits) and then get the 03-04 2.6H kit for $3349. It may take some time to accumulate the parts, but should be very worthwhile in the long run. I already have a 03-04 lower ($200 used), and am looking around for a intercooler for a good deal (new at dealer is supposedly 700 bucks, ouch). I'll buy the pump new along with a large capacity intercooler tank from one of the aftermarket vendors. Wiring/plumbing it all for factory-level dependability will likely be the toughest part of the intercooler install.

To those who say procharger/vortech/etc is a better option for out of the box power and capability you are almost 100% right. Some of us just seem to like the sights and sounds of a PD blower. Its all about choice. I know the limitations of my 'baby' KB1.5, but love the way it pulls and sounds. YMMV.

albino96

Established Member
Yes, but you can buy used 03-04 lower intake and intercooler, pump and intercooler tank (plus supporting bits) and then get the 03-04 2.6H kit for $3349. It may take some time to accumulate the parts, but should be very worthwhile in the long run. I already have a 03-04 lower ($200 used), and am looking around for a intercooler for a good deal (new at dealer is supposedly 700 bucks, ouch). I'll buy the pump new along with a large capacity intercooler tank from one of the aftermarket vendors. Wiring/plumbing it all for factory-level dependability will likely be the toughest part of the intercooler install.

To those who say procharger/vortech/etc is a better option for out of the box power and capability you are almost 100% right. Some of us just seem to like the sights and sounds of a PD blower. Its all about choice. I know the limitations of my 'baby' KB1.5, but love the way it pulls and sounds. YMMV.

I think if you buy the 03/04 blower the snout will be too long since it reaches out to the second set of pullies on the term. Both kb and whipple offer different length snouts though. Whipple might be easier since I think kb would try and get you to just buy the intercooled kit.

98KBCobraVert

Not a KB anymore!
Established Member
I did not care for the KB 1.5 mainly due to the lack of power, 360 -410 rwhp is not enought for me. Yeah the boost is instant but it just wasn't enough for me personally. I think it's all about what you want and where you want to go with your project. had it been an intercooled setup where I could have gotten 500-600 rwhp then yeah sure but what the 1.5, 1.7, and 2.1 (96-98 cobra) kits offer isnt' enough.

Toasty

Established Member
I think if you buy the 03/04 blower the snout will be too long since it reaches out to the second set of pullies on the term. Both kb and whipple offer different length snouts though. Whipple might be easier since I think kb would try and get you to just buy the intercooled kit.

Pardon my ignorance, but do teh 03-04's have a different belt to drive the SC? Is there an inner belt that drives the water pump and AC? See pic;

http://www.68pony.com/me2/03Cobra_enginem.jpg

Someone posted here recently saying the factory 03-04 eaton will fit under the 96-98 hoods with a 2.9" (or thereabouts) pulley? KB should fit no different then?

Last edited:

albino96

Established Member
Pardon my ignorance, but do teh 03-04's have a different belt to drive the SC? Is there an inner belt that drives the water pump and AC? See pic;

http://www.68pony.com/me2/03Cobra_enginem.jpg

Someone posted here recently saying the factory 03-04 eaton will fit under the 96-98 hoods with a 2.9" (or thereabouts) pulley? KB should fit no different then?

Yes the terms have 2 belts. One for the main stuff and one for the accessories. You can barely see it in that pic. I would guess it would fit under the hood. I think people say it is slightly taller than the eaton though. You may want to ask someone to measure it to compare.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a 1.5 KB on my 98 Cobra. I'm running 8# of boost and it puts down 360 rwhp and the rwtq is about the same. It's a street car so I pretty happy with the performance. The only downside of the unit, there is no inter-cooler option...no room to grow.

Are you running any of that meth cooler or are you running just as it comes from KB? If so I was wondering about overheating issues or anything like that when operating it normaly or in traffic or for just cruising. I am wondering as I would still like to be able to drive it for pleasure and there is a car show that comes up yearly here where I live that is about 3 hours away and most of it is mountain driving and I would like to still be able to attend without breaking down on the way there. Any info appreciated.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
it wont over heat i run 12 psi and when cruising around in traffic even in 90*+ days any ways my methanol does not spray until there is load on the motor for example going into boost but just cruising in traffic or on highway drives it will be fine the water meth is only for when you are in boost

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
^^^ Thanks was just wondering since in mountain driving for instance you may have the motor under load but might not be going WOT.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
you will be fine with out it but when you get a chance put a kit on they are nice also the water does a nice job of cleaning the valves, imrc and other internals:beer:

albino96

Established Member
I think I decided I will build my motor for the intercooled kb. Now that I work for Microsoft I will actually have some money to put into it.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
:lol:

As an ex-Intel 30 year veteran who butted heads with Microsoft a few times back in the day, I REALLY enjoyed that.

And don't tell Craig Mundie you know me. It will not help you.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I think I decided I will build my motor for the intercooled kb. Now that I work for Microsoft I will actually have some money to put into it.

I don't work for microsoft unfortunatley so I will have to stick with more of a basic kit lol. Does anyone know if whipple makes a screw blower for our cars or the new edge N/A Cobras?

Users who are viewing this thread