L&M intake cam numbers?

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Has anyone ran the above cams on a stock motor and had good results? There are dyno numbers on the l&m website but they are from an aluminator and only picled up 12.5 hp past 6000. I am wondering if maybe stock coyotes have more potential with these cams. I am extremely close to installing my baby cobra jet exhaust cams and wouldnt mind a good intake cam to go with it.

Shaun@AED

The data is from an aluminator XS and it picked up 17HP above 5500.
It was on my chassis dyno, AED did all the work and testing.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
The data is from an aluminator XS and it picked up 17HP above 5500.
It was on my chassis dyno, AED did all the work and testing.

Thanks for the clarification I was confused about the graph results. My TBI/PTSD/Anxiety makes buying car parts stressful. I finally have my ducks in a row and am ready to get the work done.

Driving that car is the best damn therapy I have ever had though!

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I'll be curious how the cams play out. Do you live in the seattle area Jumpmaster2015?

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I'll be curious how the cams play out. Do you live in the seattle area Jumpmaster2015?

Yes, I live on the local Army base. The Mustang Shop in Auburn will do my install (still trying to accept that lol, I was a mechanic for Special Operations before permanently injuring my back). I need to grow a pair and pull the trigger on this.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Very cool, you're down on JBLM? If you're doing cams, why not go with the NSR Comp Cam Stage 3's? I'm thinking I might go this route with the CJ intake, but I really do need to do gears and long tubes first. I'll probably do my own install, but I'm semi stupid/brave. Sorry to hear about your back injury. Thank you for your service.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Very cool, you're down on JBLM? If you're doing cams, why not go with the NSR Comp Cam Stage 3's? I'm thinking I might go this route with the CJ intake, but I really do need to do gears and long tubes first. I'll probably do my own install, but I'm semi stupid/brave. Sorry to hear about your back injury. Thank you for your service.

I am very much a spook when it comes to disclosing my exact location on the internet.

I want to see what these stock manifolds are capable of. Id like to debunk the long tubes are a necessity mentality. I honestly want to add cams and be done with the car until im done transitioning from the military in a couple years. Might as well add some mods while i still have a couple months of military paychecks left and a hefty bank account.

Comps have been known to cause valve float, and my CJ exhaust/possible lm intake cams are 1000 total opposed to 1500 for comps. Account balances+ future cash flows
> top of the line equipment=capital budgeting 101.

Thank you for the thank you on veterans day!!

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Totally understand spooking on location.

Well, luckily the stock manifolds are actually short tube headers on these cars. They will still make pretty good HP. I'd love to see the dyno numbers after the install and tune. Do you have a date set on the install/tuning?

BTW, we at Microsoft have programs for vets to enter the technology field. I'd be happy to find and forward you information around this if you're interested. I never used this program personally, but I've seen a lot who have.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Totally understand spooking on location.

Well, luckily the stock manifolds are actually short tube headers on these cars. They will still make pretty good HP. I'd love to see the dyno numbers after the install and tune. Do you have a date set on the install/tuning?

BTW, we at Microsoft have programs for vets to enter the technology field. I'd be happy to find and forward you information around this if you're interested. I never used this program personally, but I've seen a lot who have.

I need to throw some new tires on her, I just hit 20000 miles and the stock Pirellis are trashed. After that it will be ready for the other install. Hopefully in a week or two. I am a business major with concentration in banalysis data analysis, and plan on applying with companies like Microsoft, Amazon, etc. Pm me any info on programs kind sir.

Last edited:

SixPak

Established Member
I picked up 17 ponies, but over a wider range than with the stock cams. The car pulls much harder above 5500 than before. I also put some billet oil pump gears and Boss Chain Tensioners in while that part of the engine was opened up.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I picked up 17 ponies, but over a wider range than with the stock cams. The car pulls much harder above 5500 than before. I also put some billet oil pump gears and Boss Chain Tensioners in while that part of the engine was opened up.

cool brother. I am buying the boundary OPGs and Boss valve springs right now. I am so on the fence about these L & M cams! The 1500 install charge is constant regardless of the cams I throw in....

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member

Could you post up a dyno graph?

SixPak

Established Member
image.jpeg
This was Dyno before the L&M Intake Only Cams

image.jpeg
Results after Cams.
Solid 17 RWHP and 20 RWTQ
It should be noted that temperature for both tunes was in the middle to upper 90's.

I went with the Boundary gears as well. Definitely high quality and the guy is local to me.
Labor for the install was 10 hours. I was afforded somewhat of a discount since I had some other work done while my car was in the shop, but $1500 for the cams seems a little steep, IMO, unless maybe that includes the tuning. If it does then I doubt you'll find it cheaper.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I went with the Boundary gears as well. Definitely high quality and the guy is local to me.
Labor for the install was 10 hours. I was afforded somewhat of a discount since I had some other work done while my car was in the shop, but $1500 for the cams seems a little steep, IMO, unless maybe that includes the tuning. If it does then I doubt you'll find it cheaper.

I got a quick quote over the phone from their receptionist, but I have not talked details with them yet. You may have gotten a discount for the other work, this is the second shop that has quoted me $1500. This guy is willing to work with AED by using his dyno to send datalogs to Shaun, so I may be locked into this rate. I love having a flexfuel tune.

SixPak

Established Member
I got a quick quote over the phone from their receptionist, but I have not talked details with them yet. You may have gotten a discount for the other work, this is the second shop that has quoted me $1500. This guy is willing to work with AED by using his dyno to send datalogs to Shaun, so I may be locked into this rate. I love having a flexfuel tune.

He would be well advised to work with AED since Shaun played a large part in developing these cams. My tuner has worked with Shaun in the past and he corresponded with him on the tune this time as well.
An added bonus to the bump in HP is my highway mileage went up about 1.5-2.0 mpg. I just have to learn to keep my foot out of it to take advantage of that. LOL!

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
He would be well advised to work with AED since Shaun played a large part in developing these cams. My tuner has worked with Shaun in the past and he corresponded with him on the tune this time as well.
An added bonus to the bump in HP is my highway mileage went up about 1.5-2.0 mpg. I just have to learn to keep my foot out of it to take advantage of that. LOL!

Shaun personally recommended this shop, plus my boss had his GT500 worked on there, so I wouldn't go with anybody else at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread