Less clunk with 14mm bolts(pics)

Steve2050

Established Member
Got these 14mm IRS bolts from WS6JJP(John). I became sick of the clunking in the rear and decided to give the bolts a try.

Compare the stock 12mm to the 14mm that should have been installed from Ford
14mmIRSbolts003.jpg
[/IMG]

Place jack stand under car to support and gently support the IRS with jack
14mmIRSbolts004.jpg
[/IMG]

Bolt comes out so easy as if doesn't even belong there
14mmIRSbolts002.jpg
[/IMG]

Finally done and it took about 1.5hrs total including taking pics and a beer or two. Next time it would take half the time.
14mmIRSbolts007.jpg
[/IMG]

Much less clunking than before but not entirely gone. It was worth it to do for the negligible cost IMO. Probably need all bushings replaced with delrin and it will be near perfect.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
cool man.so where can i get a set?

also they gonna fit trough the original holes or i have to enlarge them??

Last edited:

Steve2050

Established Member
I got them from a member here (WS6JJP) but Ford and Lethal also stock them. You do not have to enlarge the bolt holes. Easy and cheap mod:beer:

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
having trouble gauging the exact location - any more pics? or arrows? Thanks!

Steve2050

Established Member
This is from the driver side. Bolt is located just forward of the rear tire. I didn't have to move the exhaust to get the bolt out.
14mmIRSbolts009.jpg
[/IMG]

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
I'm looking at the MM Low Profile IRS bolts on Lethal right now but it doesn't say if they're 14MM, anyone know? I'd hate to get them here only to find out they're still a 12MM

Steve2050

Established Member

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
So the front bolt is the one that had the sizing issue, the rear size is ok other than needing the low profile bolt for wider tires?

forcefedcobra

Established Member
just order ac427cobra's (bruce) full bushing kit and 14mm bolts in one shot. There will always be a little drive slop but you'll cure 99% of it and also 99% of wheel hop.

03SBGT

Established Member
Not all Cobras have the wrong bolts.

Yep. I remember when I first bought my Cobra and had it down at the dealership doing a couple of diff warranty things. I asked them to make sure I had the 14mm IRS bolts. I even made sure that they checked by asking them about it twice. At first they said they couldn't really tell....then did some checking out told me they were the 14mm ones.

I would give that about a coin flips chance of being correct. Who knows if they actually checked or even knew what they were talking about. :shrug:

I have done a bunch of the bushing mods, diff brace, low profile IRS bolts. Pretty much everything except the DSS Level 5's.

I will have to check one of these days myself to see what is down there. Thanks to the poster for posting this thread and pics of where those are located. :beer:

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
14mm bolts

ive read that you can check bolts with a wrench on threads...but if its only on some cobras,what was the reason?

wrong bolts first?

ran out of bolts,than used 12mm?

my question,,what number cobra are you?

im #1815 aug 02

than clunk is less,wheel hop is less...how about tire spin and side to side wiggle...ive got this problem and its bugging me...anytime you try to go faster,wheels spin,,and yes thats with trying to feather it,,with new tires i get about a week of no spinning,,

ive got 373`s...also im using the new bfg sport:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread