Let the ecoboost modding begin!

faststang14

Established Member
by the time the V6EB mustang is released. there will be already a DOHC 5.0 cammer engine in the GTs now thats some options for the pony right there. somewhere in 2011 im pretty sure

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
by the time the V6EB mustang is released. there will be already a DOHC 5.0 cammer engine in the GTs now thats some options for the pony right there. somewhere in 2011 im pretty sure

I am aware of that, but even at the detuned sho level of 365, I think it is too close power wise to the 400hp GT. That is why I questioned if they would just replace the the V6 with the EB4, since the goal is to downsize and yield better power and MPG with the EB series motors.

I would rather have a TT 3.5L than the "cammer" in a gt anyways, but I don't think they would ever offer that car to fully replace the V8. I just also doubt them building both so close together power wise. That is a pitty IMHO. I would buy a 2011 3.5 tt mustang in a heart beat.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I think it would be cool if the v6 ecoboost and the v8 were close in power output. That way the v6 isn't seen as quite of a step down as it is today. The v6 doesn't always have to be packaged as inferior to the V8. (Although I'll still always buy a V8).

In australia, they have the Ford Falcon that comes either with a 5.4 DOHC V8 or you can get it with a twin turbo straight 6. I think the 6 makes more power than the 5.4.

Homer

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
You think those little GT12's will be able to support 500hp? They are already pushing 12#. I would guess that you'd need somewhere in the 18-20# range to see 500.

No way it would hold that much boost to redline.. Those are tiny ass turbos, I remember my VR4 with TD04 9bs it would only hold 15psi max to redline.

I'm thinking that car could gain 40-50hp by adding a couple lbs of boost and freeing up some restrictions. I wouldn't buy a SHO to mod it, it's too heavy and the AWD will just limit what it's capable of even if you added larger turbos and the works.

ponyboy19

Established Member
If you could mate it to a decent tranny like a tko I would love to swap one into my fox body stang. 400 hp V6 EB in a 92 gt driver :)

Venomous Mofo

I own a 07 Mazdaspeed 3... it too is direct injection with a little K04 turbo. Stock boost is 10 psi in first/second... then you get 15.7 psi in each other gear. Because its FWD, the power was limited there. After tuning, 20 psi in each gear and fully bolted, 33x hp ratio.

What we have found after 3 yrs is... direct injection has a flaw. At least how Ford/Mazda set it up. There isnt enough fuel getting dumped into the engine. The car runs on a factory wideband sensor and at all costs, will try to meet the target AFR found in the ECU tables.

You can slap on a 2871r, 3071r, 3076r or even a GT35R turbo and still not make more then 360 hp. If the engine isnt built, kaboom since the rods cant take more then 350 #'s of torque. They will explode right through the block.

The conclusion we have come up with is injector timing width. Its not modifiable whatsoever in the Mazda ECU, which is forcing us to go with a secondary fuel system to see if the car will make additional power. As it sits right now, meth injection proves to add more power to this car even stock.

What i will find interesting is, seeing the tables available from the Ford ECUs on both the SHO and Flex with these Ecoboost engines. For whatever reason, Mazda made these DI engines very difficult to open up and make power out of them. It would be very sad to see Ford go down the same route.

One final note.. direct injection needs methanol injection to keep the valves clean. If you guys see the destruction of deposits and gunk on our engines in less then 25K, you will freak out. Im in the market for a family vehicle and i have been eyeballing the Ecoboost Flex.. But my experience with the Mazda thus far, has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Im hoping the domestic side of the DI Ford engines, are different. I will be keeping my eye out on all of the related forums to see whats going on.

blainestang

Established Member
I own a 07 Mazdaspeed 3... it too is direct injection with a little K04 turbo. Stock boost is 10 psi in first/second... then you get 15.7 psi in each other gear. Because its FWD, the power was limited there. After tuning, 20 psi in each gear and fully bolted, 33x hp ratio.

What we have found after 3 yrs is... direct injection has a flaw. At least how Ford/Mazda set it up. There isnt enough fuel getting dumped into the engine. The car runs on a factory wideband sensor and at all costs, will try to meet the target AFR found in the ECU tables.

You can slap on a 2871r, 3071r, 3076r or even a GT35R turbo and still not make more then 360 hp. If the engine isnt built, kaboom since the rods cant take more then 350 #'s of torque. They will explode right through the block.

The conclusion we have come up with is injector timing width. Its not modifiable whatsoever in the Mazda ECU, which is forcing us to go with a secondary fuel system to see if the car will make additional power. As it sits right now, meth injection proves to add more power to this car even stock.

What i will find interesting is, seeing the tables available from the Ford ECUs on both the SHO and Flex with these Ecoboost engines. For whatever reason, Mazda made these DI engines very difficult to open up and make power out of them. It would be very sad to see Ford go down the same route.

One final note.. direct injection needs methanol injection to keep the valves clean. If you guys see the destruction of deposits and gunk on our engines in less then 25K, you will freak out. Im in the market for a family vehicle and i have been eyeballing the Ecoboost Flex.. But my experience with the Mazda thus far, has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Im hoping the domestic side of the DI Ford engines, are different. I will be keeping my eye out on all of the related forums to see whats going on.

Yeah, I've heard that the DI system is a "bottleneck" in the Mazda DI/Turbo engines. According to AutoBlog, Ford is using a new DI system for the EcoBoost engines, so it will be interesting to see what happens with these. Hopefully someone at Ford saw the problems with the Mazda versions being limited by the "tunability" of their DI system and made sure the Ford version will be more tuner friendly.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Yeah, I've heard that the DI system is a "bottleneck" in the Mazda DI/Turbo engines. According to AutoBlog, Ford is using a new DI system for the EcoBoost engines, so it will be interesting to see what happens with these. Hopefully someone at Ford saw the problems with the Mazda versions being limited by the "tunability" of their DI system and made sure the Ford version will be more tuner friendly.

Ford hardly even bothers to try and secure their ECUs from tuning, lol.

Last edited:

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member
No way it would hold that much boost to redline.. Those are tiny ass turbos, I remember my VR4 with TD04 9bs it would only hold 15psi max to redline.

I'm thinking that car could gain 40-50hp by adding a couple lbs of boost and freeing up some restrictions. I wouldn't buy a SHO to mod it, it's too heavy and the AWD will just limit what it's capable of even if you added larger turbos and the works.

10-1 compression ratio gains much bigger horsepower gains than your VR4 would have. 3.5L at 10-1 is greater gains per pound of boost than 2.0L at 8.5-1(I would guess or 9.0-1 at most).

Sort of like 9lbs of boost on a 7.0L Vette engine is like Whoah!

Jaimie

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member
All this talk about turbos is fine and all but the rods the motor uses will tell all combined with head flow. Does anyone know what type of rods are in it? I mention this because of the difference between Terminators and Lightnings. Termies had Manley rods and the Lightnings had forged, powdered I beams that were not as good. The truly great engines in recent history could hold great power(03/04 Cobra, 90-96 300ZX, etc..) because of the strength of their stock blocks. If you have to build the block to make big power(North of 450w/hp) then we need good rods. Next the heads tell all for big power potential also. The verdict is out with me until I know what rods are in that motor.

Jaimie

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
All this talk about turbos is fine and all but the rods the motor uses will tell all combined with head flow. Does anyone know what type of rods are in it? I mention this because of the difference between Terminators and Lightnings. Termies had Manley rods and the Lightnings had forged, powdered I beams that were not as good. The truly great engines in recent history could hold great power(03/04 Cobra, 90-96 300ZX, etc..) because of the strength of their stock blocks. If you have to build the block to make big power(North of 450w/hp) then we need good rods. Next the heads tell all for big power potential also. The verdict is out with me until I know what rods are in that motor.

Jaimie

Here you go

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/ecoboost-engines-334/630929-article-new-ecoboost-engine.html

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the link. Looks like the rods would have to be changed out to make big power. Most of the new 4.6/5.4 engines with the forged roads are good to about 450 to the rear before having to worry. The cast pistons should be fine to those levels with decent tuning. I assume the silicon content in the cast pistons is low as they see some decent heat changes. Almost all turbo Dodge turbo engines with the common blocks were good to about 350 at the wheels before you had to worry. They had forged cranks(most people switched to cast cranks that didn't break as they were 15lbs lighter), forged rods and cast pistons. So there is hope with moderate levels of power until one goes crazy with mods. I'll be putting Manley H beam rods in my Lightning this winter as I know I'll be skirting around or above the 450 RWHP soon. Of course if there was no worry about the warranty then it would be easiest to put the new upgraded parts in the Eco-boost ebgines while they were fresh.

Jaimie

Users who are viewing this thread