Manley H Beam rods? How much HP?

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
I've done the usual reading and searching through threads, and i've been to the website and read the HP ratings which i know plenty of people have exceeded the "700" hp listed rating.

I'm going to be having my motor built in january and need to get an idea of what most people are making on these rods? Right now im either having to pick between these and the Billet I beams.

The current setup is a custom single turbo setup running a Single GT42-76.

The I beams will definately get me over the 1000rwhp mark but what about the H beams? There is a conciderable price difference between the two and rightly so concidering.

Will the H beams handle 850rwhp-900rwhp or would that put them on borrowed time even with a good tune? I'd like to hit the 1k mark but I'f i can do with with the H beams is unknown to me.

Any help would be appreciated

Blown02

Established Member
mine made 815rwhp.. they only rated my h beams to 700 flywheel hp.. i was gonna take them to 1000rwhp, but I blew a headgasket.. if i were u i would go ahead and do the billet rods.. thats what Im runnin now..

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
Was quoted they were a 1200 upgrade over the Hbeams :(

I figure if nothing else i could run the h beams to around 850rwhp and then swap to the I beams later

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
the shop im associated with has been running a eagle H beam on their race car for over 2 years. Making over 1000rwhp the whole time.

Its up to you, i personally think a H beam will be fine.

Blown02

Established Member
h beam will prob be fine.. but to "swap"out the h beams for billet rods is no easy task.. not only does the motor have to be pulled but the motor has to be disassembled, re-balanced, etc.etc.etc. and will cost a ton!
u can get forged h beams for $350 and billet ones for $1,200.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I would say go with the billets, but if you want to save some money, and run H-beams, with the best rod bolts you can.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
Meh thats not near the max rating for the I beams. It's like 1200rwhp or so. I could always step up to 300m's though lol

TheSVTKid

Established Member
It's all about having a good tune.....

I have seen Manley H beams hold up to 1700hp for 2+ years on a full on race car.... Then a set of Eagle H beams hold the same.

But if it would have been detonating.... well that would have been the end of them instantly.

I know countless cars making 800+ rwhp, with NO issues with the H beams.

EA

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I thought the h beams use 3/8 bolts and the good i beams used 7/16? That's quite a difference in equal quality bolts. Since it is being built, apart etc. I'd do the 7/16's.

Users who are viewing this thread