max boost on the street?

dohcsvt

Established Member
I have not been around in awhile. I sold my car (Clyde) in 2012 after purchasing it new, modifying and racing the hell out of it (10.3@136) blowing the engine and deciding I should sell it before I hurt myself or ended up in jail. Well he vound his way back to me. The second owner managed to blow the built engine (apparently something went through the blower and took out #5 cylinder) and did not treat the car very well in general. The third owner straightened most things out and made some exterior mods.

Anyway to the point, owner #3 had it put on the dyno and found the car running rich and "only" making 730 to the tires at 17 psi. When I sold it was making 813 on 19 psi. At that point in my life more power was all that mattered, now I am a little more interested in being slightly conservative. However, I would still like to see 800 at the tires and wanted to see what the general consensus around here is. My research points to 19 psi, as long as I keep him happily on a diet of brand name 93 octane. After I had the built engine installed, broken in and tuned I popped a head gasket. The shop owner told me detonation may have caused it and I do not want that again. Please give any insight and experience.
Ottis

avgt500

Established Member
I run 17 with a VMP tune, good enough for hi 10s and insane on the street, very reliable.
I have 3 tunes, 93, 91, and torco, really no need for the kill tune, it does just fine at the track on the 93 tune.
I do have a VMP gen 2 tho, what kind of blower are you spinning?

dohcsvt

Established Member
Your guess is as good as mine, I did not own the car at the time. All I know is you could see the marks on the rotors were something went through it and the number five cylinder was completely toast. He had taken it to the shop where I had most of my work done, and the owner of the shop called me and told me I had to come look at this.

Willie

Established Member
I run 19.4 psig / Stiegemeier ported Eaton / Also high 10s. 91 Octane / Custom designed methanol / MY TUNE.

BTW, I'm selling this car (#1) and has been returned to stock (except JDM cams & headers). The blower is in the classifieds.

avgt500

Established Member
The problem with something going thru your blower is it is going to end up sitting on top of the intercooler, not going thru your intake, I think.
the head gasket thing is probably from ether a bad tune, or improper installation, I've ran a 200 shot on top of 17 lbs of boost in my 03 lightning for years and I currently in a 50 shot on my GT500 with no probs , with my lightning I ran a Diablo canned tune and with my Gt 500 I have VMP, there are a bunch o people running 800+ and beating the snot out of there cars so Id probably get someone else to tune it, with that whipple it should crank out 800+ all day.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
2011 - 2.9 Whipple, 19.4 boost
2014 - 3.4 Whipple, 19.2 boost......neither car runs a canned tune..

dohcsvt

Established Member
Thanks for all of your feedback. I think I am probably going to run it at 19. As for the tune, what is there really to it be sides spark and fuel maps. The big throttle body that's on it already works great. When I was running 19 pounds in the past there were 16 degrees of timing in it. Does that sound excessive? I didn't think so, but I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread