motor oil 5w50

jcthorne

Established Member
Why is the use of magnesium so awful for gasoline engines now? It can't be engine deposits or cleanliness as the interior of our various engines are spotless the few times valve covers or other parts are removed for service over the years. Far better than back when we were using Mobil Delvac One and M1 products. Soot and deposit control is one of its biggest advantages. Use what you want. Oh, Mobil synthetics back before y2k takeover by Exxon were far better lubricants. Failing lab results forced our switch to Shell.

We have 5W40 T6 Rotella in my 7.3 diesel pickup, a 6.8l V10 motorhome and its Onan gen set. A home standby Generac natural gas engine genset. a Harley, my wife's Ecoboost MKT and my GT. Oh, and a Briggs 14hp lawnmower. Works for us, has for many years and the lab results show its doing more than fine. Its reasonably priced and available at mainstream lubrication retailers, anywhere we travel. I do not advocate the wide use of the 15W40 T5 product outside of diesel service.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Oh, Mobil synthetics back before y2k takeover by Exxon were far better lubricants.

Pre 2005, the term "fully synthetic" with Mobil 1 actually meant something.

Pre 2010, there were still 8 formulations that didn't contain highly refined petroleum in the blend percentage. Now Mobil is using their own version of hydrocracked petroleum called VISOM.

Today, it's hard to say what is still a full synthetic, and what is not. So far, their Extended Performance lubricants and 0W-40 doesn't show any trend changes in the UOAs. However, that could change tomorrow, who knows.

We have 5W40 T6 Rotella in my 7.3 diesel pickup, a 6.8l V10 motorhome and its Onan gen set. A home standby Generac natural gas engine genset. a Harley, my wife's Ecoboost MKT and my GT. Oh, and a Briggs 14hp lawnmower. Works for us, has for many years and the lab results show its doing more than fine. Its reasonably priced and available at mainstream lubrication retailers, anywhere we travel. I do not advocate the wide use of the 15W40 T5 product outside of diesel service.

T6 offers a lot of bang for the buck, no doubts there, but it's still a highly refined petroleum (hydrocracked) formulation, which is why it's less expensive. I could never say the lubricant isn't effective, as it really is, I just demand the best in everything. I desire a lubricant with a lower NOACK, group IV/V base stocks, and stronger anti-shear ability without the use of VII (Viscosity Improver Polymers).

T5 is the step down formulation, and can agree with you on the application.

StangSupremacy

Established Member
It sounds like AMSoil is the preferred oil for our GT500s. Why are some using 10w30 vs 10w40? Which one would be most beneficial for Texas weather? I am looking to make the change to AMSoil for my next change.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It sounds like AMSoil is the preferred oil for our GT500s. Why are some using 10w30 vs 10w40? Which one would be most beneficial for Texas weather? I am looking to make the change to AMSoil for my next change.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 is for cars used on the street with the 170* thermostat. Street and drag racing is OK with this lubricant. I beat up my car like a red headed step child with Amsoil 10W-30, and the UOAs are excellent.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 is for cars with the stock 192* thermostat, or for use in cars for extended session road racing.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So Mobil 1 10w30 syn would be fine? I just can't believe they call for such a heavy oil.....

Choose Mobil 1 0W-40 for stock thermostat cars

Choose Mobil 1 10W-30 Extended Performance for 170* thermostat cars.

I would only use these in a pinch if I needed an oil change now, and I couldn't wait to get the best available.

Users who are viewing this thread