Motorcraft 5W50 VOA

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ah! So then they'll void the cat failure warranty because of the engine oil? Of rather them do that as a byproduct of using non-motorcraft oil.

Correct,

Let's say you had catalyst failure at 99,000 miles. If they wanted too, they could do a UOA and see high amounts of ZDDP in the oil and void your catalyst warranty.

Although, I'm to smart for that. I would drain the good stuff and pour in FoMoCo 5W-50 before taking it in for catalyst replacement.

But I say again.....

A superior group IV/V formulation with high amounts of ZDDP and low NOACK Volatility will not harm the catalysts any more than..

A medium grade group III formulation with lower amounts of ZDDP and high NOACK Volatility.

So, I have no worries about the catalysts on my car, or anyone else who is using Red Line, Royal Purple, or AMSOIL in theirs.

And what oil would that be?

I think he uses that Dollar Store cheap oil crap. Hey, it has the API SM starburst logo on it, so that means it's good....right guys? :D

Honestly, he's an AMSOIL guy like me.

Last edited:

vankuen

Established Member
Got it got it.

I'll probably switch out to Redline 5w-50 or Amsoil 20w-50 then at around 3k miles or so. Still have the factory fill in it now with only 500 miles I think it's a bit premature to do any oil changing right now.

I believe neither Redline or Amsoil recommend their product to be used on cars during their break-in mileage, correct?

Bulldogger

Established Member
I think all the 5w-50 will sheer lto low 40 high 30 weights. Just too much for the additive packages. Instead of running say a 10w-40, what about a mix of 5w-50 and 15w-50. May help prevent excessive sheering, The car holds 6.5 so it can be split yielding basicallya 10w-50. Any thoughts??

vankuen

Established Member
This is probably a bit dated--but found this on the net when trying to find more info:

Motor Oil Myths and Facts

I posted this because there's this undertone that Amsoil's product is looking out for the consumer where the other companies are not in terms of engine longevity (i.e. the amounts of zddp / zinc and phosphorous in the oil and it's tendency to shear). This information seems to confirm the lower zddp levels, but gives a different spin on it in saying that's the best thing to do.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is the notion that 5w-50 isn't as good as 20w-50 when in fact the oil viscosity at operating temp is the same and only cold viscosity differs. Is it because the premise is that in order to get the lower cold viscosity rating the oil requires more modifiers?

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Got it got it.

I'll probably switch out to Redline 5w-50 or Amsoil 20w-50 then at around 3k miles or so. Still have the factory fill in it now with only 500 miles I think it's a bit premature to do any oil changing right now.

I believe neither Redline or Amsoil recommend their product to be used on cars during their break-in mileage, correct?

I waited until I had 2,000 miles on my car before I drained the factory fill. Doesn't hurt to have a mediocre oil in the sump during break in period, although....I still would have preferred a break in lube with high amounts of ZDDP.

Not sure what they would recommend, but anything after 1,000 miles should be more than enough.

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

This seemed like a pretty good read for the noobs like myself.

Thanks for the link, but there is a much better Motor Oil Guide out there, and it's worth the read. I've learned a lot from this link.

Motor Oil Bible

I think all the 5w-50 will sheer lto low 40 high 30 weights. Just too much for the additive packages. Instead of running say a 10w-40, what about a mix of 5w-50 and 15w-50. May help prevent excessive sheering, The car holds 6.5 so it can be split yielding basicallya 10w-50. Any thoughts??

It's a possible blend to try, but I don't think the results will be leaps and bounds of difference.

Last edited:

65sohc

Established Member
This should be of interest to those concerned that the Motorcraft 5W-50 might not be up to the task. It is the oil used in the upcoming Boss 302 that survived the following durability tests:

"Once an adequate test stand was configured, the Boss engine was run at its full rated output for tens of millions of cycles, eventually outperforming its specifications at every stage of testing. Engineers calculated that the test regimen was equivalent to running the Daytona 250 race flat-out more than 175 times – in a row.

Team members also devised an additional durability test specific to the Boss 302 engine – one that reflects the unique demands of Boss drivers. The engine was subjected to a regimen simulating 1,500 quarter-mile races typical of events at drag strips across the country.....To accompany the higher peak-power engine speed, the team had to engineer a lightweight, high-speed valvetrain and bulletproof reciprocating assembly that would not only hold together for 150,000-plus miles but also produce power at peak rpm."

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
You should probably go back and read this thread. You clearly missed the point and the facts. Fist of all, its common knowledge that Ford doesn't always factory fill with the stuff you buy off the shelf, so your belief in MC oil based on an ENGINE durability test is kind of silly.

Secondly, those tests are not designed to test motor oil and tell you nothing of oil performance because the oil is changed in between every cycle of testing. Those tests are designed to produce engine performance and durability standards and not changing the oil constantly would add a variable to the results that would make the test useless.
Does it translate to results that would lead me to believe that the engine is built well, absolutely but it does nothing to prove MC oils capabilities.

Last edited:

vankuen

Established Member
What about the Castrol torture tests? Don't those show that "their oils provide maximum HP over longer periods" than their competitors? At least that's what the commercial says. :banana:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
.....and if you order now......you will not pay 49.99....not 39.99....not 29.99.

JUST 19.99, but you MUST CALL NOW!

hehe!

Members at BITOG laughed at the Castrol commercials, and I openly admit....so did I.

6-Speed

Established Member
It does seem like Blackstone is pretty slow to get the kit out to their customers. I finally received mine last week and sent in a sample of MC 5W-50 for a UOA.

vankuen

Established Member
I ordered mine a little over a week ago. So we'll see how long it takes to get my kit.

Users who are viewing this thread