My GT350R Initial Impressions

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Like I mentioned in my "Umm..." thread, I caved and bought a '17 GT350R. It's my wife's Christmas present to me. I had to pick it up in Baltimore and drive it back home. It was about a 6.5 hour drive. Here are a few initial impressions.

OMG this thing is bouncy!! And that's with the dampers in Normal mode. On some expansion joints, I would let out an audible grunt from being slammed into the seat. I can't imagine what the Sport and Track modes would be like. If they're firmer than Normal mode, they should've named them all "OMG!", "Chiropractor On Retainer", and "Bone Grinder". I've seen a few videos where the reviewer states "If you want a GT350, don't drive the GT350R first!" I'm guessing they're talking only on track. From my very limited experience, I would surmise that the GT350 must be a street car for the track, and the R is a track car for the street.

Nighttime rearward visibility is horrible. The wing sits right in the middle of my sight line. So if a car is right behind me, I can't even see it. A car was following me for I don't know how long, and I didn't even know it until I saw the silhouette through another car's headlights. Which, that's one plus. It blocks headlights from reflecting into my face. The rear quarter windows might as well not even be there. I haven't driven it in the daytime yet. I barely missed getting caught in the rain when I was almost back to the house. So it's been parked in the garage since I got it home in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

I was never a fan of how the engine/exhaust sound based on what I've heard in videos. It sounds much better in person. The exhaust in Sport mode is wake-the-dead loud. You might not notice it as much if you're driving in a lot of traffic. I was driving in the middle of the night with virtually no one else around. Even with the windows up, I could still hear the exhaust echoing off trees and buildings while going through the gears. Think of the most obnoxious '03/'04 Cobra exhaust you've heard. It's kind of like that. Cruising along, the exhaust is pretty quiet, even in Sport mode. The GT500 exhaust still sounds better.

The road noise is a little high, but that's to be expected with these tires. Michelins are not quiet tires, especially when they're worn down. Wind noise was low enough to not be a problem for even the most picky person. (Subaru should collaborate with Ford to learn how to reduce wind noise.) Most of the drive was on the freeway, so I can't speak much about the handling yet. From the handful of decent curves heading to the house, it felt good. I will say, comparing it to my modded GT500, it's exactly as I feared would be the case if I bought one. My GT500 actually feels lighter, more nimble and more rigid than the GT350R. That said, I still wouldn't call my GT500 confidence inspiring. I'm sure it's current capability is far beyond what I trust it to be. The jury's probably going to be out on the GT350R until the roads in the mountains warm up again next May. I'm definitely going to be driving it on the "warm" days this winter, but I won't be driving it aggressively.

I can't and won't say that I'm in love with my new GT350R yet, but I will say that I am VERY happy that I have it now. If Ford releases a sweet enough GT500, I'll probably trade my current one in for it. Right now, I'm glad I didn't trade it for the GT350R because I would've missed it dearly. The R simply isn't a replacement for my GT500 as modified.

Now a question for the track rats who have experience with aero grip. I hit triple digits passing a car on a country road and found myself "stuck" on the wrong side of the road. I was trying to get back in the right lane, but the car wouldn't move! At least, not without a lot more steering effort than I felt was normal. When I added more effort, it felt like it was going to dart over and either shoot me off the other side of the road or go into a skid. I had to slow down to get back into my lane. Is that indicative of aero grip or was something else afoot? The event was on a patch of road that had a bunch of rubber asphalt crack seals, so that might also have added to the problem or been the sole cause of it. The car was tram-lining over that, too. What do you think?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I will say, comparing it to my modded GT500, it's exactly as I feared would be the case if I bought one. My GT500 actually feels lighter, more nimble and more rigid than the GT350R. That said, I still wouldn't call my GT500 confidence inspiring. I'm sure it's current capability is far beyond what I trust it to be. The jury's probably going to be out on the GT350R until the roads in the mountains warm up again next May.

A "modified" GT500 isn't even in the same league in terms of preferable vehicle dynamics from a performance perspective. You simply need more time with the new car.

So after all your comments regarding ADM's you didn't mention what you paid in order to acquire an R. Inquiring minds want to know - what did you pay?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Forgot the pix!
IMG_20161205_10411931.jpg

IMG_20161205_10092151.jpg

IMG_20161205_10090261.jpg

IMG_20161205_10095621.jpg

Those last two are for the folks who say the GT500 looks wimpy compared to the GT350. I disagree.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I posted what I paid in my "Umm..." thread. I was able to get them "down" to $92K.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
first off Beautiful ride! really is breath taking wow!

interesting first impression. sounds like a Mustang I bought a while back with every suspension mod available. the benefit to the cornering ability was washed out by the harsh uncomfortable ride.

sounds like a great track car as long as there no walls to smash ur $90k car into. this is a STREET car and considering we drive our cars on the street 99% of the time it sounds like the novelty wud wear off pretty fast....

too bad they didn't offer it in an Auto. I'm bettn they do next year.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
A "modified" GT500 isn't even in the same league in terms of preferable vehicle dynamics from a performance perspective. ...

Until there are some real comparisons, that's just a matter of opinion. So far, my body tells me differently. I didn't just throw on some springs and control arms and called it a day. My suspension is 100% aftermarket. Add in the additional chassis bracing and weight reduction, and my GT500 "feels" like it would be a more, or at least just as, capable car on a track. But you are correct. I need a lot more seat time in the R to learn its quirks and intricacies. For that matter, I also need more seat time in my GT500 to find where it is. I still haven't really pushed it after all the chassis/suspension work.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Until there are some real comparisons, that's just a matter of opinion. So far, my body tells me differently. I didn't just throw on some springs and control arms and called it a day. My suspension is 100% aftermarket. Add in the additional chassis bracing and weight reduction, and my GT500 "feels" like it would be a more, or at least just as, capable car on a track. But you are correct. I need a lot more seat time in the R to learn its quirks and intricacies. For that matter, I also need more seat time in my GT500 to find where it is. I still haven't really pushed it after all the chassis/suspension work.

I get that you have an aftermarket suspension on your GT500. That said, again, the suspension on the S550 GT350 R is worlds ahead. You'll learn why with more seat time/research. If that isn't enough, your free day at the Track Attack in Utah will shatter your current disposition.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
First off, great buy. I feel the 350R is the ultimate, in terms of all around performance. Obviously, it cannot match a 13/14 in terms of straight line speed, but it crushes everywhere else!

It's hard agreeing with what you are saying, cause I have driven a base 350 and that thing was an ABSOLUTE ANIMAL in terms or handling, therefore, cant imagine how you are not completely in love with the R.

I guess thats why opinions are like assholes, we all got one.

Loving the pics of both cars, please give us moar.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I might post more after I detail them both. The R needs paint correction straight off the showroom floor. It's full of swirl marks from them rubbing it down at the dealership with no care, especially the rear wing.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
First off, great buy. I feel the 350R is the ultimate, in terms of all around performance. Obviously, it cannot match a 13/14 in terms of straight line speed, but it crushes everywhere else!

It's hard agreeing with what you are saying, cause I have driven a base 350 and that thing was an ABSOLUTE ANIMAL in terms or handling, therefore, cant imagine how you are not completely in love with the R.

I guess thats why opinions are like assholes, we all got one.

Loving the pics of both cars, please give us moar.

Well, I haven't had a chance to push its handling. I probably won't for the next few months. Until then, I'll just be enjoying it as a spirited cruiser-mobile until the road temps get back up. Too bad I don't live in south Florida. But all the roads are mostly flat and straight down there.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
What mods do you have done to your 500? What about wheels and tires? Would like to see more pictures of that.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
On the first few hundred miles home from the dealer, I doubt it's been pushed hard enough to feel the goodness. I have barely started to get into mine, but the reflexes are RIGHT THERE and it feels more like a built road race car than any street car I have driven. To me the GT350R is more like an old-school BMW M car than a Ford. While the GT500 was the ultimate Mustang, I think the GT350R is the better version of the BMW M4 (and that's why I bought one after a lifetime of owning BMWs). These cars with their top-end biased motors just wake up on the open road where you can keep them above 5k RPM consistently, and they perform better than their numbers would suggest. During break-in, you're just not getting into the fun part yet.

Personally I've been impressed by the ride quality, given the capabilities. Chicago and environs aren't known for their billiard-table roads, either.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What mods do you have done to your 500? What about wheels and tires? Would like to see more pictures of that.

The list is so long, I'd probably forget a lot of it. The only power mod I've done is the 2.9 Whipple. Everything else has been toward handling and preserving power production. The wheel/tire combo on my GT500 is actually lighter than on the GT350R. I haven't weighed it, but I think the overall curb weight is now somewhere in the high 3500 to low 3600 pound range.

Mods:
Suspension
BMR
-tubular radiator/sway bar support
-adjustable front sway bar
-adjustable sway bar end links
-tubular K-member
-tubular A-arms
-boxed subframe connectors
-adjustable UCA and mount
-double adjustable solid rod end LCAs
-LCA relocation brackets
-adjustable rear sway bar
-adjustable panhard bar and mount
CHE
-A-arm support bar w/ transmission torque limiters
Eibach
-Pro Kit springs and dampers

Brakes
Full Tilt Boogie Racing
-(F) 14" 2-piece lightweight slotted rotors w/ aluminum hats
-(R) 13.1" 2-piece lightweight slotted rotors w/ aluminum hats
STEEDA
-braided stainless steel brake hoses

Weight Reduction
BMR
-all the previously listed parts minus the subframe connectors, mounts and relo brackets.
Ford Racing
-rear seat delete kit
The Drive Shaft Shop
-
carbon fiber drive shaft
SPEC
-
SPEC Super Twin 3-puck clutch/flywheel (21 lbs lighter than stock)
Advanti Racing
-
HY Hybris wheels
--(F) 19"x8.5" (14 lbs lighter than stock each)
--(R) 19"x9.5" (15.5 lbs lighter than stock each)
Billet Pro Shop
-
lightweight pulley kit (Made a noticeable difference in how quickly the engine revs and shuts down. Improved throttle response.)
Full Tilt Boogie Racing
-(F) 14" 2-piece lightweight slotted rotors w/ aluminum hats (listed earlier)
-(R) 13.1" 2-piece lightweight slotted rotors w/ aluminum hats (listed earlier)

Power Preservation
Reisch
-
170* thermostat
Billet Pro Shop
-
lightweight pulley kit (listed earlier)
-supercharger belt auxiliary idler pulley kit
CHE
-
transmission torque (read:twisting) limiters (listed earlier)
Kincaid Performance
-
Killer Chiller
Gates Racing
-
blue supercharger belt

Miscellaneous
MGW
-Gen 1 shifter
Ford Racing
-'13/'14 GT500 lower front splitter (Installed it for looks, but it actually reduced under-car road noise.)
Corsa
-
Sport mufflers w/ diamond black tips

I believe that covers everything, with the exception of the FRPP Whipple 2.9 kit.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Jesus. Thats quite the list. Any more pics / vids of it?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
First off, congrats. Beautiful car.
Great review of the R. I'm sure with more seat time, you will come to love it. She's a stunner. I think the Shelby GT350 and GT350R cars are the hottest looking Mustang currently out there right now.
You have 2 killer cars there in that garage. Of course I would take the GT500 over the R any day, but they are both super nice.
Congrats and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread