Need Help With Interior Paint

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
i just purchased an autometer steering wheel pod for my 2003 cobra. i need to know what is the best step and paint to use for the pod. from what i've heard the duplicolor bumper paint and this stuff works the best but i need someone who have use them before to chime in( http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=MET-F 1&comp=LRS ). i also need to know what color is my interior...i have a 2003 cobra anniversary

Thx, Chris

Last edited:

Homebrew

Established Member
Quite a few of us as of late have been dissapointed with stuff from late model restoration. It tends to be a few shades lighter than it should be. Recently someone on here posted pictures of his parts painted with their paint and it was way off. I mean not even close. My experience has been similar, but what I recieved was darker than what he got. Many people are happy with the duplicolor bumper paint, but I found it to be only a shade darker than the what I got from LMR and thus still not a very good match. Everyone has different opinions on what is acceptable though. I'm personally still searching for something better than both the LMR stuff and the duplicolor bumper paint.

-Kevin

Homebrew

Established Member
I keep hearing that it's been discontinued, but the part number brings up matches on all the online ford part stores I've been to. I've contemplated ordering some, but personally I was hoping to see pictures of something someone's painted with it first.

Edit: Here's a link to the the thread with the pictures I mentioned in my previous post:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406943

-Kevin

Last edited:

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
man that looks horrible and nowhere close. i went to the autometers site and they recomend using this stuff called vht so im going to swing by local oreilly to look for it

MVD

Established Member

Homebrew

Established Member
I've seen three different ford paint's recommended for our cars and I think I'm going to order all three and put this to rest once and for all. My theory is that the midnight black is best for the radio bezel and instrument bezel as well as the innermost part of the shifter bezel. The charcoal gray I'm betting best matches the dash itself(or basically any of the lighter color gray surfaces of the interior). I think this is where the confusion may come in to play. If the dealership i've been dealing with has all 3 available I'm going to pick them up and do a comparison and figure out what's what.

-Kevin

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Homebrew said:
I've seen three different ford paint's recommended for our cars and I think I'm going to order all three and put this to rest once and for all. My theory is that the midnight black is best for the radio bezel and instrument bezel as well as the innermost part of the shifter bezel. The charcoal gray I'm betting best matches the dash itself(or basically any of the lighter color gray surfaces of the interior). I think this is where the confusion may come in to play. If the dealership i've been dealing with has all 3 available I'm going to pick them up and do a comparison and figure out what's what.

-Kevin
plz do so and let us know. i want mine to match and not be crappy lol

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
update...i just got the duplicolor bumper paint dark charcoal and i just spray it on a similiar black plastic finish and it looks good so far.:banana:

Homebrew

Established Member
Well I just placed an order for these ford paints:

M4JZ-19M547-4245H
M4JZ-19M547-4149H
M4JZ-19M547-1074H

I've seen both M4JZ-19M547-4149H and M4JZ-19M547-1074H recommended several times for our cars while M4JZ-19M547-4245H has been mentioned once or twice. Hopefully I don't get a call that any have been discontinued. I'll keep you guys posted.

-Kevin

Homebrew

Established Member
Midnight black is M4JZ-19M547-1074H. I don't know how big a hurry you're in, but I'm hoping to finish my paint comparison sheet either today or in the next couple of days. I took a sheet of plastic and started spraying strips of each of the following paints for immediate comparison.

Duplicolor charcoal bumper paint
50resto 01-04 dark charcoal interior paint
M4JZ-19M547-4245H Medium Graphite
M4JZ-19M547-4149H Charcoal Black
M4JZ-19M547-1074H Midnight Black

I haven't finished it because it's been so humid here lately and the ford paints come in 6oz cans which felt like they were emptying quickly. I need to have enough of the correct color when I'm done to repaint my radio bezel so I need to be careful with how much I use.

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread