Need some quick advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdmanbobsin8

Established Member
I go to school in north carolina, but i live in northern va. I already have 50% tint on the sides and 20% tint in the back. but i want to get 20% on the sides. i am one ticket away from losing my license but im tired of barely any tint etc. will be in va all this summer.

keep it as it is or go dark?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
just google what percentage you can legally tint, here in florida for example is 15 rear and 25 front

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I'll take this one gents.... in VA you are allowed 50% on the front side windows, 35% on the rear side windows(differs on SUVs), and nothing darker than 20% on the back window. VA code 46.2-1052 does allow a 7% grace on these though to allow for some factory window tinting in the glass.

The odd thing about VA though, is that the code doesn't specify that this is for VA registered cars only. Statute specifically states that "any motor vehicle operated in the Commonwealth". We have several Troopers on the I-95 corrider that absolutely love writing window tint tickets.

Another thing about VA law is that on a 2nd charge for window tint, the court CAN MAKE you have the tint removed. If you don't, then the judge can bring you up on a Contempt of Court charge. And yes, I have seen this done quite a few times.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Around here you can have as many equipment violations (tint is considered an equip. Violation here) as you want and not be in danger of losing your license. Non-moving violations don't carry points here.

While my little story is irrelevant, i would say don't chance it. Lotta good those dark windows are gonna do you if you cant drive.

Priorities people. :nonono:

silver03svt

Established Member
Same here. Tint is equipment, and no points assigned for it. It does, however, open the door for the bloodhounds we have here to find more stuff to write you for.

txyaloo

Established Member
You should definitely get the tint. Looks > *.

Come back and give us all an update after the summer.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Sadly this will be the only advice taken from this thread. :lol:

silver03svt

Established Member

Sadly this will be the only advice taken from this thread. :lol:

Winning!

OP, don't forget to post up your tag # as well as what dates/times you plan on rolling through Hanover and Henrico Counties for me.

Last edited:

birdmanbobsin8

Established Member
i baby my gt so i dont drive fast so i wouldnt bring any attention but knowing the cops in the fairfax county area and my luck theyll write me some wack ass ticket

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I would get the tint. You still have a ticket to go. Go 20% all around and put some on the the front window. I hear if cops like the look of it they won't bother you. Silver is all over it. One thing I learned with a friend of mine going to lunch. He has N.C tags and pitch black windows. Said N.C and V.A are the same but since he had Va tags he didn't have to worry about it. Heading back to post on 64 he was proved wrong with a ticket for tint.

Trooper was comical, they joked back and forth sarcastically while he wrote the ticket. Went something like this. H = Him T = Trooper

T hi are you doing today sir, do you know why I stopped you.

H because you like my car and wanted to get a closer look.

T no but glad you are proud of your car. can you hand me your license and registration please

H sure but why did you stop me officer.

T your tint is extremely dark and since I could not see inside the car when you passed by me it is in violation of (don't remember the statue he quoted)

H officer you do know that I have N.C tags

T i noticed that while riding behind your car with my lights on that you were from N.C.

H well my car is totally legal in N.C and that is where the tint was installed.

T you do know that your in the state of Va right now Mr. Daniels

H yeah I seen a lot of signs on the highway informing me of that. Lot of cars with Va tags on them riding down the highway.

T glad your observant of your surroundings.

H N.C state troopers have never pulled me over.

T if you notice my car has a Va State Highway sticker on the side. I'll be right back.

I'm in the car in tears. He's telling me this is BS and he can't be ticketed. Probably running my license and then comeback and tell me to have a good day. Officer wasting my time.

T okay sir all is in order. I'm issuing you a citation for improper tint. You can remove the tint, show up in court with pictures of the tint removed and the judge normally dismisses the ticket. You are not required to appear in court unless you would like to contest the citation.

H officer surely there is some mistake. how can you give me a ticket for tint and I have N.C tags.

T easily, I take out my ticket book and put your information on the ticket. I then get you to sign it and tear off the yellow copy giving it to you. On a sidenote, N.C. and Va laws are the same on tint and ( can't think of the wording that he used to say they carry from state to state) so it is illegal there also. Your not the first to ride around here breaking the law. I do appreciate your service to the country.

H how can you say that and give me a ticket at the same time. If you appreciated the service you wouldn't ticket me.

T if I didn't ticket you, I would be doing a disservice to the people of Va., and you know what it's like to take pride in your job knowing your doing the right thing. Have a good day Mr. Daniels and be sure to put your seatbelt on. See your service is appreciated.

I laughed until my stomach hurt. I would do the tint. What's the chance of getting stopped with only one ticket left.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I go to school in north carolina, but i live in northern va. I already have 50% tint on the sides and 20% tint in the back. but i want to get 20% on the sides. i am one ticket away from losing my license but im tired of barely any tint etc. will be in va all this summer.

keep it as it is or go dark?

are you really asking this? you are one ticket away from losing your license and you want to put illegal tint on your car and DARE the cops to stop you? Your parents must be so proud of the man you have not become

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
i baby my gt so i dont drive fast so i wouldnt bring any attention but knowing the cops in the fairfax county area and my luck theyll write me some wack ass ticket

The tint is the attention.

Please get the tint. :coolman:

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
are you really asking this? you are one ticket away from losing your license and you want to put illegal tint on your car and DARE the cops to stop you? Your parents must be so proud of the man you have not become

But it's those darn Fairfax County LEOs always looking to kill his fun!?

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member

Fairfax county police are some of the nicest most respectful leo's I've ever met. And they have some real shit heads to deal with around here. Honestly I don't even want to be on the same road with you. If you are 1 ticket away from losing your license then you are obviously one wreckelss bastard because around here they cut a hell of a lot of breaks. On top of that I'm half tempted to turn your ass in to my next door neighbor who is also an FFx LT.

You are admittedly breaking the law, and have admittedly broken the law on multiple occasions. Perhaps you need to trade your car in on a bicycle.

birdmanbobsin8

Established Member
Fairfax county police are some of the nicest most respectful leo's I've ever met. And they have some real shit heads to deal with around here. Honestly I don't even want to be on the same road with you. If you are 1 ticket away from losing your license then you are obviously one wreckelss bastard because around here they cut a hell of a lot of breaks. On top of that I'm half tempted to turn your ass in to my next door neighbor who is also an FFx LT.

You are admittedly breaking the law, and have admittedly broken the law on multiple occasions. Perhaps you need to trade your car in on a bicycle.

are you serious right now? who are you to come in here and start something up when you dont even know me. so youve never broken the law with you car? stop coming in here acting like your so much more mature and above everyone else. this website is full of people who do illegal stuff read a book

birdmanbobsin8

Established Member

and why do you care what i do, worry about yourself if you dont like my post then move on

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
and why do you care what i do, worry about yourself if you dont like my post then move on
you asked for advice. he gave you some. going to knock advice you get? don't freaking post.

and when you post shit like this:
you are going to get a response like he gave you. I was tempted to do the same thing. Having lived in Fairfax county for over 20 years I can tell you he is right and when they write you your next ticket it won't be "wack ass" it will be well deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread