Neighbor went apeshit over my exhaust, what's the worst that could happen in CA?

Machdup1

Established Member
To your question, he can simply continue to make noise complaints to the local PD (doesn't require a friend in the department) until someone looks into it. Eventually someone will. If you are cited, CA can make it expensive for you. As I understand CA law, it is unfriendly towards modded vehicles. I would suggest that your vehicles could be written for several violations if you don't have CARB numbers or certificates for every modification.

If he really wanted to be evil he could also report you to the California Air Resources Board for violations to the smoking vehicle laws and then you could then have the environmental wackadoodles after you. For that one there is a website for making the complaint.

Time to play nice. Pissed off old guys know how to turn up the heat when the other party is in the wrong. Go by his house, apologize for the noise and try and be the good neighbor.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
True, that is the risk we catless guys take in CA. Gotta take the good with the bad. I guess we'll see what comes of it. Worst case scenario, I'll switch to the quieter Corsa touring mufflers.

Its a risk everyone takes. Removing emissions equipment is illegal everywhere, CA is just one of the places that inspects emissions on a regular basis and has strict requirements. A place that doesn't have emissions inspections still has the same federal and state emissions laws.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I agree with Machdup.

I realize you have a right to mod your car at a certain risk. However, I never shit where I sleep, so to say. Since my old 5.0 was really loud (kooks 1-3/4" LT's, 3" O/R H and Borla Stingers) I tried to stay as quiet as I could coming toward my house in my subdivision. I don't need problems from neighbors and don't want to be "that guy' that has a really loud car everyone thinks is racing through the neighborhood.

Either go to his house, apologize, or flag him down next time you see him driving and do the same.

Rip ass all over other area's of CA, but, keep it down by your house.

MG0h3

Established Member
Both CA and HOAs can be a hassle.

I had a CHP pull me over in my turbo fox. I was idling at a stoplight when he got behind me. My fault as I was open DP right after finishing it. He popped the hood and went over everything pointing out all kinds of stuff I wouldnt expect. They clearly had training in spotting mods--oddly enough they didnt know what the turbo was but thought the oil feed was a nitrous line. This was in a small town and they were cool. Just said to take it home and stay off the streets on Fri/Sat because they were enforcing street racing. They did say that they could impound it.

oldmodman

Established Member
First. He does not have a friend on any force. He may not actually have ANY friends.

Second. If he complains to an actual member of law enforcement do you actually think that he will be giving up however many hours of his free time to stalk you until he sees you actually driving your car?

Third. The small penis joke was a result of HIM requiring a Mercedes Benz SUV. The least driven off road SUV of all time. If he actually needed the interior space he would be driving the correct vehicle for the size of his manliness. A Minivan.

And last of all. Reinstall a stock exhaust on your car for a few months. That way he will not only be an idiot, but he will look like an idiot to of any authority figures that actually does show up to give your car a listen.

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
Damn, thanks for all the legitimate responses guys. I figured I'd get flamed for having such a loud set-up. I haven't seen the guy since and intend to act like nothing ever happened if I do. I figure if it really bugs him and it escalates I'm sure I could figure out something to get him back. But in the end, the effort it takes to get the old man back is more of a waste of my time. I don't know. I'm focusing on school and work, I'm lucky that my parents allowed me to live in their home for another two years while I finish up my degree virtually rent free (my rent + utilities is nothing compared to what it would cost if I lived by myself here in San Diego). My main concern is that I don't want them to deal with this douche nozzle while I'm at work or school. Trying not to be "that guy" or the son that brings trouble home. Haha.

Edit: I would reinstall my stock exhaust but it's all chopped up. I was thinking of switching to milder Corsa mufflers but after dealing with this guy, I almost feel like he'll still complain.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Damn, thanks for all the legitimate responses guys. I figured I'd get flamed for having such a loud set-up. I haven't seen the guy since and intend to act like nothing ever happened if I do. I figure if it really bugs him and it escalates I'm sure I could figure out something to get him back. But in the end, the effort it takes to get the old man back is more of a waste of my time. I don't know. I'm focusing on school and work, I'm lucky that my parents allowed me to live in their home for another two years while I finish up my degree virtually rent free (my rent + utilities is nothing compared to what it would cost if I lived by myself here in San Diego). My main concern is that I don't want them to deal with this douche nozzle while I'm at work or school. Trying not to be "that guy" or the son that brings trouble home. Haha.

Edit: I would reinstall my stock exhaust but it's all chopped up. I was thinking of switching to milder Corsa mufflers but after dealing with this guy, I almost feel like he'll still complain.

:nonono:

MG01GT

Established Member
Realistically CHP has better shit to do than pop into the neighborhood just appease some guy about a noise complaint.... friend or not. That's something more relegated to the SDPD or the SDSD and even then unless your driving like an ass and then deserve to be pulled over, they still have better shit to do then run around trying to find out if your exhaust is too loud. A good buddy of mine who works the SDSD says realistically its going to take multiple complaints from multiple people to really warrant them to want to come check. I think that as long as you keep doing what your doing and avoid an altercation with a bitter old man you should be fine. I had a similar issue with one of my neighbors when I lived on base on Camp Pendleton......... People are so damn pissy about any damn thing really.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Eh why not just put a set of high flow cats? My car isn’t the loudest but still pretty loud that cops think im speeding. Pulled out of my house around 5am (so you can only imagine how much louder the car sounded), drove up the street to find at least 5-6 patrol cars doing who knows what with cops walking down towards a house. Had my window down in case they told me anything going no faster than 15, one cop flashed his light and told me to slow down.

Never have to worry about smog, passes inspection and the whole enchilada without doing anything illegaly. I agree with MG01GT. Cops have bigger things to worry about that going to someone’s house for exhaust, unless they see you driving down the street while you have your car going at high RPM’s without speeding, they wont tell you much.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd tell him to F off.

My Viper is crazy loud, and it has side exit exhaust. I can only imagine how loud it is for people sitting next to me at a light or when I downshift to pass. I've never had an issue though.

josephcostello

Established Member
First of all OP, I can totally relate. There's always that one c***sucker that everyone has living in a complex. I had a lady come flying down the alley at 40mph laying on her horn because my car was parked 2 feet into the alley way at 9:30pm while I was unloading a small amount of groceries, I ran out and called her a fat f****** c**t and boy did she not like that. She already didn't like my dad because he and her had an altercation a few years back, and I'm a spitting image of my dad. Called the cops on me, didn't go anywhere (cops knew she was crazy). Tried to get me evicted, didn't go anywhere. Then spent 5k on a lawyer and tried to put the bill on me, didn't go anywhere. Now she leaves her garage door open in the hopes I'll go in there and go to town sabotaging her audi, nice try - I'm smarter than that. And oh apparently she has cameras watching me, how lovely. What I would do is put your cats back on so you're legal and drive your car like you always do, don't speed or do dumb shit. When Mr. ToughGuy in his fancy MB decides to get mad again or release his inner bitch on you just tell him you've yet to run in with his so called "friend", and you've got nothing to hide when he does. If you have cats on there's nothing illegal about a catback. If you wanted you could go get a smog inspection and leave a copy on his doorstep too. In reality if he actually did have a friend he would probably not tell you he did and just bust your butt out of the blue.

Zemedici

Established Member
First of all OP, I can totally relate. There's always that one c***sucker that everyone has living in a complex. I had a lady come flying down the alley at 40mph laying on her horn because my car was parked 2 feet into the alley way at 9:30pm while I was unloading a small amount of groceries, I ran out and called her a fat f****** c**t and boy did she not like that. She already didn't like my dad because he and her had an altercation a few years back, and I'm a spitting image of my dad. Called the cops on me, didn't go anywhere (cops knew she was crazy). Tried to get me evicted, didn't go anywhere. Then spent 5k on a lawyer and tried to put the bill on me, didn't go anywhere. Now she leaves her garage door open in the hopes I'll go in there and go to town sabotaging her audi, nice try - I'm smarter than that. And oh apparently she has cameras watching me, how lovely. What I would do is put your cats back on so you're legal and drive your car like you always do, don't speed or do dumb shit. When Mr. ToughGuy in his fancy MB decides to get mad again or release his inner bitch on you just tell him you've yet to run in with his so called "friend", and you've got nothing to hide when he does. If you have cats on there's nothing illegal about a catback. If you wanted you could go get a smog inspection and leave a copy on his doorstep too. In reality if he actually did have a friend he would probably not tell you he did and just bust your butt out of the blue.

man must suck to live where y'all do. Out here in GA all the good ol boys LOVE my cobra. Hell i've gotten stopped just so they could look at it before :lol: no biggie.

josephcostello

Established Member
Honestly I love living in this state it's some of the people. Especially in my area, all these people thinking their shit don't stink because they got a good job and apparently make a lot of money. They obviously just think they can shit on the people around them. I hope to bust her one day for drunk driving, she's gets very loud when she drinks and I'm almost certain she comes from the bar to home. Damn I wish more people would compliment my cobra, maybe because it's not a terminator :bored:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I believe the fine is up to $2750. All things considered, you know nothing about him so I wouldn't make any assumptions about who he does or doesn't know. I would assume if he can get someone there then things won't go your way. I don't believe they could or would fine you unless you were driving the car, parked in your driveway sounds like off-road to me. I would switch to a catted one or get some hiflo cats welded in because the odds of getting pulled over and checked with that loud setup are probably already pretty high and now your neighbor has it out for.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Bring this back because I can relate #1 but #2 OP did you ever hear anything out of it? So here is my story. I lived in a tow home where my garage was about 3 feet from the new neighbors porch who were about 70 years old. Well I have a OR X and no resonators with GT500s. Warm it's a lot quieter than cold but I guess one day the old lady was reading a book on the porch or was just outside and I fired her up and backed out of the garage. I see her run inside like I siced a Doberman pincher on her and here comes her husband flying out of the house so I stopped and rolled down my window to talk to him and he just goes "WOW!" Lol. He then said the car scares his wife and to do him a favor and let it roll out of the garage then start it so I always did that from then on and we became good neighbors. I've since moved but a few days later the lady did put this right by my garage but on their side pointed at my direction! I got a good laugh out of it. I'll find the picture and post.

Users who are viewing this thread