Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shelbyjeff

1/4 mile at a time!
Established Member
Unleashedbeast, do you sell amsoil? The only way to get this stuff is a pain in the a$$! I just want to get it when I want. NOW NOW NOW!

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Unleashedbeast, do you sell amsoil? The only way to get this stuff is a pain in the a$$! I just want to get it when I want. NOW NOW NOW!

He sent a pm with every fluid change for your car offered by amsoil. I can forward it to you. It links you to their online store for the products. Just toss them in you're basket and your good to go.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have seen a few UOAs on the M1 0W40 that suggests it is very shear stable especially for a 0W40 with a viscosity index of 185. It does start out as a thin 40 grade ~ 13.4 cSt. Here's a link to a recent VOA of the SN formula.

Mobil 1 0W40 SN VOA - Bob Is The Oil Guy

It's one on Mobil's best formulations, and is 100% true synthetic. I have never seen any UOA of it shear past a heavy 30 grade, and you are correct....the VI is up there.

He sent a pm with every fluid change for your car offered by amsoil. I can forward it to you. It links you to their online store for the products. Just toss them in you're basket and your good to go.

That would work Ryan, thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
What are the ramifications of running an oil that is "too viscous?". The redline 5w50 would fall into this category being a 50 weight true synthetic, correct? What's up with the low TBN in the one redline test? Is this cause for concern?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What are the ramifications of running an oil that is "too viscous?". The redline 5w50 would fall into this category being a 50 weight true synthetic, correct?

You will lose engine efficiency - decreased power output and greater fuel use.

You will cause the oil pump bypass valve to open sooner in the RPM range. At high rpm, this could cause less less lubricant flow through the bearings when you need it the most.

What's up with the low TBN in the one redline test? Is this cause for concern?

I wish I knew, with only 2,100 miles of use I wasn't expecting the TBN to be that low. The lab insisted it was checked twice, but I still have my doubts. No way a lubricant formulated to this degree should have TBN that low with so few miles.

Since most Shelby owners rarely use a lubricant longer than 5,000 miles, it's not a concern, as I feel it was testing error.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
New Motorcraft 5W-50 sample added from another member...megameGT500. Thanks for the sample Mike. I updated the list in post #1....his is sample #11.

Your sample sheared less than expected, and your higher wear numbers are due the new engine. Nothing to be alarmed about. They will reduce on the next UOA. I've been noticing aluminum is elevated, with lower iron ppm, in sample taken from 2011+ cars. This is obvious since they no longer have iron blocks. The UOA reflects that.

Silicon is in fact due to the sealers used in the assembly process of this engine, and will also reduce on the next few oil changes. Thank you very much for the TBN testing.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
New Motorcraft 5W-50 sample added from another member...megameGT500. Thanks for the sample Mike. I updated the list in post #1....his is sample #11.

Your sample sheared less than expected, and your higher wear numbers are due the new engine. Nothing to be alarmed about. They will reduce on the next UOA. I've been noticing aluminum is elevated, with lower iron ppm, in sample taken from 2011+ cars. This is obvious since they no longer have iron blocks. The UOA reflects that.

Silicon is in fact due to the sealers used in the assembly process of this engine, and will also reduce on the next few oil changes. Thank you very much for the TBN testing.

Thanks. I plan on another at 3000 and will share those results also.

Mike

Corepuncher

Established Member
Well, I just added my Redline a few days ago (wish I had gotten AMSOIL), but maybe I can send in some to test to confirm that low reading on the TBN.

Also, I just added the AMSOIL tranny fluid. Was pumping it in, and got almost to the bottom of my gallon (at least as far as the spout would reach tilted). I was a bit concerned, I was waiting for it to flow back out. So, I took the hose out (blew the rest back in) and as I was taking it out, suddenly a small bead came down and dripped for quite a while. Full!

I am really wanting an MGW shifter. I"m concerned that if FORD finally fixes the grind issue, they might use it as an excuse NOT to fix it, so I have been holding off :-(

One last thing, if AMSOIL is so confident in their product, how come when I put in my vehicle, they do not show any OIL in the fluid list?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Well, I just added my Redline a few days ago (wish I had gotten AMSOIL), but maybe I can send in some to test to confirm that low reading on the TBN.

Excellent idea. Run it for 2,000 miles, take a sample, then verify what I have been saying about a true synthetic 10W-40 being more efficient than any 5W-50.

One last thing, if AMSOIL is so confident in their product, how come when I put in my vehicle, they do not show any OIL in the fluid list?

Amsoil's legal department will only allow them to recommend the oil they formulate that is suggested by the manufacturer. Since Amsoil refuses to formulate a 5W-50 due to very low demand, they do not have an oil recommendation for the Shelby. Even though their true synthetic 20W-50 has very close to the same viscosity as un-sheared Motorcraft 5W-50....they still don't.

Royal Purple doesn't have that restraint....as they openly recommend 10W-40 from their line up. Imagine that!

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
Hey Beast, you have me a little concerned...In your post about the effects of lower temperature thermostat and revan heatexchanger that the 10-40 may be too thick. So if 10-30 better? I have another 2000 miles to go (about 1 month) so I need to order my oil soon, I am primarily a daily driver with spirited driving. Thanks for the help. Thanks for the help with the air filter too. I would love the larger oval one, but not sure it would fit. I am also considering the JLT big intake:-D

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hey Beast, you have me a little concerned...In your post about the effects of lower temperature thermostat and revan heatexchanger that the 10-40 may be too thick. So if 10-30 better? I have another 2000 miles to go (about 1 month) so I need to order my oil soon, I am primarily a daily driver with spirited driving. Thanks for the help. Thanks for the help with the air filter too. I would love the larger oval one, but not sure it would fit. I am also considering the JLT big intake:-D

I am currently using Amsoil 10W-30 in my Shelby....and the UOA sample will be taken tomorrow. By next week I will have the results. Until I have a couple valid UOAs on 10W-30 using the 170* t-stat...I will not push hard on the use of it. Until then, 10W-40 has been getting the job done. Do not fear it with a cooler T-stat. All of my sample with it were using the 170*

More info coming soon.

NuclearPower

Established Member
And you also have the revan heat exchanger so thanks. That makes me feel much better about 10-40.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoil ATM 10W-30 sample has been taken, and already dropped off at UPS. Results coming soon.

While I was under the hood, I went ahead and changed the supercharger oil as well. It's cheap maintenance.

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
Amsoil ATM 10W-30 sample has been taken, and already dropped off at UPS. Results coming soon.

While I was under the hood, I went ahead and changed the supercharger oil as well. It's cheap maintenance.

What do you recommend for the supercharger oil?

Dandy

Established Member
I just got my order of Schaeffer's 5W-50 along with the K&N oil filter. I think that will be good to run for now.

Unleashed, have you ever sampled some used Schaeffer's?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I just got my order of Schaeffer's 5W-50 along with the K&N oil filter. I think that will be good to run for now.

Unleashed, have you ever sampled some used Schaeffer's?

No samples of Schaeffer's 5W-50 yet, but would love a sample after 2,000 or more miles. Someone else offered a sample when they were ready, but I don't recall who it was.

Users who are viewing this thread