P2197, P0171, P0174 Codes

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well, my cars engine light came on, here are the codes.

P2197
P0171
P0174

The car just started to idle high yesterday and also idles a bit rough. I have noticed a bit of power loss under WOT pulls in 3rd and 4th over the last week. Any assistance on the fix would be greatly appreciated.

I did get a COP wet once and had to take the plug cover off and dry it. Other than that never had any electrical issues.

Car has 92k on it, I just replaced the K&N Filter 2 days ago and the plugs were changed about 20k-30k ago as well as the fuel filter.

I haven't cleaned the MAF in a long while. Edit: The rear O2 sensors are turned off in my tune.

Mods are in the sig.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Been researching, I'm going to clean the MAF and look for any obvious vacum leaks, where I have no idea, andy suggestions?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
DTC: p2197 Ford says the cause may be an engine vacuum leak, possibly around the PCV valve or in the PCV vacuum plumbing. Such a leak may set the following DTC: P2197. The code may indicate a lean fuel condition or a lack of heated oxygen sensor (HEGO) switching. Ford says not to replace the oxygen sensor, MAF sensor or PCM because the cause may only be a vacuum leak or an incorrect sized PCV valve that flows too much air.
I`d look for a vacuum leak

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
DTC: p2197 Ford says the cause may be an engine vacuum leak, possibly around the PCV valve or in the PCV vacuum plumbing. Such a leak may set the following DTC: P2197. The code may indicate a lean fuel condition or a lack of heated oxygen sensor (HEGO) switching. Ford says not to replace the oxygen sensor, MAF sensor or PCM because the cause may only be a vacuum leak or an incorrect sized PCV valve that flows too much air.
I`d look for a vacuum leak

Which would give the other 2 codes. Good catch, check for a vacuum leak

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
The PCV tube going from the valve cover to the intake is fine. What's next.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I've reset it and it comes back, plus it's not running correctly. Going to clean the MAF tonight, i don't expect it to help, but it won't hurt.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well cleaned the MAF and a few electrical plugs. Now I'm pissed, the plug that goes to the A/C broke. Off to Ford to buy another in the AM, I'm probably just going to let them look at it.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Did take it to them, and you guys were right, a hose behind the S/C was letting air in. Wish I would have found it myself, but it's running great now.

Users who are viewing this thread