PHRP H-Pipe welded into place and installed

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I figured I'd share the latest project I recently completed, especially since the right sound is something that the '07-'09 GT500's just don't have from the factory.

I added FRPP's 5230-S (aka, GT500KR mufflers) a year or so ago. Stock, the car sounded like my grandmother's V6 Buick with some kind of warble. These mufflers were supposed to give the car a "better" tone without adding any kind of drone.

Well, they held up on the drone, but the sound from the tailpipe was a bit on the raspy side. As much as an X-pipe mid exhaust stream might have been placed on these cars for maximum power - the fact is that the sound isn't commensurate with the power. I never liked it and always felt as though my '09 would never sound as good as my "done up" '90 coupe.

I had noted with interest the fact that Shelby had cut out the "X" and replaced it with a genuine "H" section. All the magazines that reviewed the '08-'09 KR's made positive comments on the exhaust. Problem was, the pipe wasn't being sold to the public.

Enter PHRP and their own version of the H-pipe. It pretty much mirrors the Shelby piece, being CNC bent and cut stainless tubing with a perpendicular, smaller diameter pipe section welded in.

0139-500x500.jpg

My plan deviated a bit, as I wanted to fully weld the H section to an extra stock catted X-pipe I purchased some time ago (seller went with long tubes). Here it was hanging around, on the left.

IMG_6722.jpg

For reference, the stock X on the extra pipe I bought (catted X had ~ 700 miles on it).

IMG_6724.jpg

I think the stamped X section is fixtured and machine welded, then a human touches up any questionable areas. Looks like a Friday at 3:00 weld, I know, but all the stock pipes I've seen look like this...

IMG_6723.jpg

I wanted to see how close the H section matched up to the X since I planned on welding everything up. I noticed a few minor discrepancies...

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg

The bend angles were off ~3* to 4* on each side. Not a problem were you to cut and clamp, but certainly an issue for welding. After a few moments of brainstorming I picked the two points that need to be sliced, tweaked and welded back up.

IMG_6764.jpg

IMG_6765.jpg

I then laid out my cut marks on the X-pipe assembly after overlaying the H on top of it.

IMG_6763.jpg

Some quick fixturing to keep everything in place when done (using some stainless angles tacked into place) and I made my cuts...

IMG_6782.jpg

IMG_6779.jpg

IMG_6781.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6794.jpg

A fully welded, '07-'09, factory catted H-pipe, after unclamping and removing all the tack welds...

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6797.jpg

Fast forward to yesterday for the install. I wanted to weld in a bung before switching my factory X for my new found H. After finding about the only spot left to add one, I marked, drilled and welded in a bung for my new hole.:dw:

IMG_6881.jpg

2009 pipe on left, 2007 pipe on right, replete with bung. Note the mid-pipe hangers that Ford used on the early pipes but eliminated by MY 2009. More on that later...

IMG_6883.jpg

The H-pipe assembly fit like a damn glove.

IMG_6891.jpg

I don't like the idea of the lengthy exhaust system being held up from the exhaust manifolds to the mufflers on the other side of the axle with nothing but a clamped juncture to keep it all in place. I'd like to add the hangers Ford no longer uses (anyone with a cross member they want to sell please, shoot me a pm...).

IMG_6889.jpg

Everything tightened up well as the system lined up as factory. I put in an old fox body O2 sensor into the extra bung until I pick up a wideband.

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6896.jpg

Upon fire up, I noticed some cackling I never had before after some quick blips of the throttle. Weird, as it went away (O2 sensors sending different voltages due to backpressure change?). To be honest, I was not impressed with the new tone - it really hadn't changed at all. Or so I thought.

I got cleaned up and took the car out for some runs. Talk about a shit eating grin.:eek: The burble/rumble emitted while under load is simply fantabulous. No drone, no warble, no cackle. Just a refined yet powerful song that begs you to turn around when you hear it. And to be clear, it is by no means offensive or intrusive. The sound now matches the car itself.

Anyone with a 2011 factory H-piped car should get a premium for one of these assemblies if they move to long tubes. It is that good!

Tob

IMG_6878.jpg

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
Great write up and build. I like that fixture you built, that's going the extra mile for sure very professional. I feel the same way about my H pipe on my 2011. It sounds so dam good burble/rumbleing around covered parking lots from inside the car that it must be like sex to your ears from outside for GT500 owners.

G-Force

Established Member
Great write up, thanks for sharing. Wish other mfgs would make a full H-Pipe option for us. Unfortunately, I don't have the talents and resources like Tob to do it myself.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
can't say it enough man, you have one of the absolutely best shelbys on here! great right up too!
I wonder if they make a 3" H-Pipe I could have welded in place of my Bassani X??
Great write up, thanks for sharing. Wish other mfgs would make a full H-Pipe option for us. Unfortunately, I don't have the talents and resources like Tob to do it myself.
i'm pretty sure any competent exhaust shop could fab one up in no time.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If I had a bender and the time, I'd make a few sets of pipes and try to get something going. Then I'd need laser cut flanges, quality cats, a pipe expander. It'd never end.:bored:

It'll be interesting to see how many '11 owners remove their factory systems. I'm curious if there have been any revisions to the factory exhaust manifolds (however minor) between '07-'10 units and those of the 2011.

Also interesting to note is that with the camera and microphone placed right above the exhaust, you can obviously hear some cackling upon deceleration or after a downshift. You don't hear it on the road.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm having a ball with this thing!

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
What is the deal with the PHRP H-pipe as sold? Are you supposed to cut the X-pipe from the stock catted X and replace it using clamps with the PRP H-pipe? And the clamps compensate for the slight difference in bend?

BTW, sounds real good. Nice work.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Are you supposed to cut the X-pipe from the stock catted X and replace it using clamps with the PRP H-pipe? And the clamps compensate for the slight difference in bend?

Yes and yes. I don't think that anyone ever bothered to check the bend angles. The owner said that only one other person besides me ever brought it to their attention. It seems to not be a problem if you are clamping as many have done the mod with great success. Obviously, trying to weld the two becomes more of a challenge due to the slight mismatch. Nothing most here couldn't handle with the proper tools.

Thanks for the props.

Tob

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I noticed that Shelby was selling what is left of their production bin of H-pipe sections that were used to replace the factory X section.

_ScreenHunter_zszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.gif

Shelby GT500KR Exhaust H-Pipe

I picked one up a few days ago, as much out of curiosity as for a backup H-pipe assembly that I'd like to piece together. Having had the PHRP assembly in my hands I was itching to see how the original compared to the X section that I removed from the OE pipes.

IMG_8084.jpg

One of the crossover pipe welds appears to have been done by a rotary machine. The other appears to have been done by Shakes Mcgillicutty, the same guy that fabbed up the axle breather tanks from Shelby.

IMG_8085.jpg

Keeping it in perspective, some of the UAW's finest are not to be outdone with their work on the OE X-pipe. Here's a well done attempt at production line booger making...

IMG_8087.jpg

Interesting how Shelby got the tone on their KR's via this pipe (along with KR mufflers). They cut a slice through the crossover and inserted a large washer inside and then welded it back up...

IMG_8089.jpg

I used my Milwaukee Tools Coloncam to get a closeup view as to how they did it as well to check for any slag polyps. I have to admit I was impressed as to how well everything looked inside.

IMG_8099.jpg

Next up, I wanted to check the bend angles for accuracy (I have another complete X-pipe assembly and they are both identical, so I'll assume them to be the standard to verify with). In this case (as with the PHRP pipe) the angles aren't a perfect match but they were slightly better than the bends on the PHRP pipe.

IMG_8090.jpg

The KR pipe had only one side that was off (by a couple of degrees).

IMG_8094.jpg

This pipe did not come with any clamps (as my PHRP pipe did, albeit with added expense). The bend deviation would easily be accommodated via the clamps if you were to cut/replace/clamp/install, just as the PHRP piece would. I do think with the KR piece being closer to OE bend wise that you wouldn't have to "straighten" anything prior to welding. I believe the KR pipe is 409 stainless, just as production. IIRC, the PHRP pipe was 304, a superior material for an exhaust system.

The KR pipe diameter matched the OE piece in diameter and in wall thickness...

IMG_8100.jpg

Another nice touch, the KR pipe utilizes the same welded on "locating tangs" as OE...

IMG_8102.jpg

An economical buy that no doubt offers a somewhat deeper (yet subdued) tone. Thumbs up from me.

Tob

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
nice comparison. I have the phrp H in my garage just waiting to be installed.

Users who are viewing this thread