Gavinb_SVT

Established Member
I just swapped out my 8mm plug wires to 9mm Ford Racing ones and I feel like the car has loss some power. I have NGK TR6 plugs gapped around 32-36 I can't remember the exact number and oem coil packs.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Is your motor force induced? Spark plug gap on a stock motor is ~0.054 thousands of an inch.

Any surging, bucking or hesitation during hard acceleration? How long ago was your fuel filter changed?

Gavinb_SVT

Established Member
a multiple cylinder misfire happens under light acceleration. Under hard acceleration it doesn't miss a beat. And I'm not sure about the fuel filter.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Sounds like you have some wires crossed (no pun). At idle will it hiccup or backfire at all?

I did that recently. I had "thought" I put them in the right locations. But found I swapped plugs 2 and 3. Switched them and car purred like a kitten.

-Mark

Helomech74

Established Member
If your motor is stock, no boost etc., then you need to pull those TR6's out and run a 5 heat range plug gapped properly. I'd give the NGK 3951 a try, gapped at .054 and see if that helps.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
^ This is what I was getting at also. Autolite 764's at 0.054 thousands are also an option.

Also, inspect the wires and make sure that none of them are crossed or arching. As the majority of the engine is aluminum which presents an easily accessed conductive path (valve covers).

Realistically, if this was not an issue prior to replacing wires, I would swap the old set back on and see if this issue persists. If not, then you've isolated your problem. Start with the free solutions before spending money. Data-logs would be another great place to start too, if the solutions above are not working out for you.

cheaneyt

Established Member
I had misfire issues , got ford racing plug wires with motorcraft platinum plugs and msd coil packs. No more issues now. Gapped plugs at 0.54
fad5d0911a638557c877c2b378ac9556.jpg

sent from somewhere,while in my cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread