Pro Touring 1979 Pace Car build

69clark

Established Member
So today I got the old k member out and put in the Team Z k member. Also put in new motor mounts while was at it.

Bought an engine support bar to lift the motor. Worked well. (Damn the car is dirty as heck because of all the metal fabricating I have been doing in the shop. You can see in this photo.)
Pace_car_kmember.jpg

K Member out
Pace_car_kmember2.jpg

New K member in.
Pace_car_kmember4.jpg

Pace_car_kmember3.jpg

Pace_car_kmember5.jpg

So if things work out with my schedule next weekend, I am supposed to pick up the rearend. At this point it has the ends tack welded, I will get it under the car, measure for the rear wheels and tack on the shock mounts and mockup everything else I need to do before all the final welding is done on the rear end.

The next bit of news is that I was going to run the front Alcon capilers on 13" rotors, well I have changed my mind and I will be going with a 14" setup. I will be using the Baer Eradispeed 14" 2pc rotors. So either next weekend or the weekend after that I will be mocking up the Racecraft drop spindles, Ridetech struts and the Alcon caplipers (don't know if I will have the rotors in by then but we'll see). Then I can start measuring for the front wheels if all goes well.

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
Where did you get that engine support bar? I think I'm gonna use one of those when I swap k-members.

69clark

Established Member
Well I was going to purchase one from harbor freight, but I found this one on eBay for $47 and free shipping.

69clark

Established Member
Update:

So I picked up some of my parts on Saturday to start mocking up all the brakes and suspension to start making sure everything will work together, and to start measuring for the wheels.

Here are the front end parts. The only parts I have left to buy for the front are the 14" 2pc Baer Eradispeed rotors and I already have the Steeda bumpsteer kit on the way. Here are the front end parts.

New Ford hubs, nuts and dust caps, RaceCraft 2" drop spindles (based on 94-95 spindles) and the Alcon calipers, mounts and hardware. When I am done the calipers won't say Roush on them, so I have to get ride of that. Can't wait to mock it up with the rotors.
Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup018.jpg

Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup024.jpg

Here is everything mocked up as much as I can get. It looks like I will have to go with the standard length control arm as it seems like the 1" shorter ones that I have are going to cause issues. Hopefully they will just exchange them for me.
Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup029.jpg

Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup034.jpg

I also got the rearend back from my father. It has been narrowed a total of 6". For now it is just cut down and the ends tacked on so that I can get the shock mounts tacked on and again measure for the wheels. Then the rearend will go back to him to fully weld the ends, weld the tubs, refabricate the control arm pickup points (as we think we can do a better job than factory). We also have to clock the calipers so that they are at the 2 o'clock position, so they won't stay on top like they are now. Then of course we will clean up the rear end and get a good coat of paint on it.

The rear end utilizes 9" ends, custom 31 spline strange axles, HD FRPP diff and 3.73 gear set, steeda spherical bushings, BMR adj uppers and Drake girdle cover. And of course topped off with the 12" wilwood brake setup.
Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup038.jpg

Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup040.jpg

Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup046.jpg

Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup047.jpg

Here it is in the car.
Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup055.jpg

And cycled all the way up where parked height would be. Again, I just used one of the wheels off the cobra for the second picture as it is the only 5 lugger I have until the new wheels are done.
Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup059.jpg

Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup065.jpg

So this week I will be welding in the shock crossbar and tacking in the shock mounts. This is the stuff that is yet to go in.
Protouring_1979PaceCar_setup063.jpg

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Looking great man.
It's awesome that your dad is narrowing the rear for you. Saved a pretty good chunk of money and time.

69clark

Established Member
Update: Got some new parts in.

Steeda bumpsteer kit.
1979_Mustang_Pace_Car003.jpg

Standard length Team Z a arms. This way I can mock up both the 1" shorter arms and the standard length arms and see what works better for me setup then I will send the ones I don't use back.
1979_Mustang_Pace_Car007.jpg

14" Eradispeed 2pc rotors for the front.
1979_Mustang_Pace_Car027.jpg

So I finished mocking up the front end with the brakes. At this point it looks as though I can use the shorter arms but I will confirm this 100% next weekend when I get back into the garage.
1979_Mustang_Pace_Car034.jpg

1979_Mustang_Pace_Car037.jpg

Got the rearend under the car, set the pinion angle at ride height and then I had to weld in the shock bar, then hang the Shockwave shocks and tacked the shock mounts to the rearend. My father will complete the welding when I take the rear end back to him for final assembly and at that time I will have him reinforce the shock mounts with a bar between them. Also because this isn't a drag setup I need to run a conventional sway bar as an anti roll bar that the drag racers use won't be good for the street. So I started modifying the sway bar and mounts to let it clear the Shockwaves.
1979_Mustang_Pace_Car008.jpg

1979_Mustang_Pace_Car018.jpg

1979_Mustang_Pace_Car024.jpg

I think that is about it for now. Hopefully I can actually get more done next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread