Rain with drag radials?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Is it really that bad if you don't drive stupid? I have nitto drag radial and curious just in case I get caught in some rain. I mean is the car all of a sudden going to go sideways on me?:shrug:

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
NT555r's are probably the safest drag radial to drive in the rain. I had a buddy drive 50 miles in the rain home from the track without issues, but it's best not to chance inclement weather with drag radials.

derockgt

Established Member
no its not that bad. i have 555r and when it rains just watch your foot. ive been 60mph in the rain and was fine, this was on the free way for about 15-20 mins, didnt go any faster for obvious reasons. also tread still had about 85% on it, now i cant speak for low tread.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
dude...i wouldnt even THINK about chancing it. i cant answer your question, since my car is my DD, it has never seen drag radials...but i DO know, that i have lost track of how many "totaled my cobra" threads i have seen over the years (equipped with plenty pics), due to drag radials in the rain. i wouldnt even chance it.

Blueline

Established Member
From the threads of totalled Cobras, you will see they were either on low tread street tires or almost always on drag radials. I would not chance it bud, not worth it. Try searching "crashed cobras, totalled cobras" you may find some of the recent ones, not pretty.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
It depends on what drag radials you and the tread level.

The 555r's are great in rain all things considered ,but once they get worn down a little you probably shouldn't go over 50-60 mph for you could hydroplane very easy // Avoid standing water.

Other drag radials are absolutely terrible in the rain but for the most part your right foot determines what happens !!

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
not a good idea. Anything with the power levels these cars have (even when they're stock) can get away from you pretty damn fast on wet pavement, even on street tires! What happens with drag radials is they typically have very little tread and will not disperse water effectively. The car could hydroplane unexpectedly even if you're not being careless, and it's just not worth the chance. If you still need them, try and avoid the rain. I think your car does anyway, don't it? :)

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
I had drag radials on my 96 grand sport when I lived in FL and I went and did a complete 360 on i95. I was only going 40mph. I got lucky and didnt crash. but I needed a diaper change

Mystichrome#365

Established Member
lol i drove in the rain with completely bald radials 335/30/18... that's a 13 and a half inch wide pontoon... couldnt get over 40-45 and the ass end swayed even with the clutch pulled in... it is fun to do some slow spins haha.... oh so no i would not recommend doing that

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
A friend of mine had a MT ET Street Radials on his daily, that he drove fine in the rain for months straight until one day the car hit a thin layer of water and went sideways into a pole at 45 mph crushing the front end in. Not a chance I'd take. Get two more rears to put radials on IMO.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
555r's are fine in the rain. Drove on them for years in my old mustang and got caught in a down pour in my 03 on them. Never had to slow down a bit. The NT-05r's on the other hand were terrible in the rain when new. I wouldn't drive in the rain with any of the drag radials other than the 555r's at this point.

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
I had drag radials on my 96 grand sport when I lived in FL and I went and did a complete 360 on i95. I was only going 40mph. I got lucky and didnt crash. but I needed a diaper change

:lol:I thought my 555r's were good in the rain on my old cobra that was my DD...wrong! Once those tires wear down a bit, maybe below 50%? Look out, here comes your rear passing you in the other lane! Seemed like it happened over night too, one day they were fine in the rain and the next they were scary! Buy a DD beater, thats what I did so I dont get jammed up anymore:thumbsup:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
not a good idea. Anything with the power levels these cars have (even when they're stock) can get away from you pretty damn fast on wet pavement, even on street tires! What happens with drag radials is they typically have very little tread and will not disperse water effectively. The car could hydroplane unexpectedly even if you're not being careless, and it's just not worth the chance. If you still need them, try and avoid the rain. I think your car does anyway, don't it? :)

LOL, yeah my car pretty much avoids rain at all costs, but I'm just thinking in terms if I have an appointment at the shop I go to, which is about an hour away. Alot of it is freeway driving as well.

Great info guys!

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
dude just dont do it. i had some nittos on my car and was doing 15-20 mph and my car went sideways.

another occasion i had mickey thompson et street's on and same thing it was like very scary.

i highly frown upon drag radials and rain.

and for people that say oh it must be the driver. well bull shit to you, ive never wrecked in my life (knock on wood now) i have actually trained on road courses with professional drivers and ive been told i was an excellent driver.

now i do have 2 sets of tires for my car. if i put on my wheels with the michelin pilot sport a/s plus tire its night and day difference. i can go fast in the rain. i also went 1.92 60'ft on this tires at the track vs my 1.59 in my drag radials :)

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Nitto 555R's are great in the rain .... I've been caught in a few HUGH storms...My buddy with MT DR's (right behind me), not so good!

2SlwPgy

Established Member
I had brand new 555Rs on my Cobra got caught in a rain storm with standing water. I almost lost control of it. Be very careful is standing water. I will never chance it again Id rather just pull over and wait it out.

Blackedout

Established Member
Nitto 555R's are great in the rain .... I've been caught in a few HUGH storms...My buddy with MT DR's (right behind me), not so good!

That would be me... MT in rain SUCK... definately need to watch what your doing and do it SLOW...

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I may consider finding some stock 03-04 wheels for the rear with better tires just in case I need to get the car to the shop and rain is in the forcast. Better yet, I should just by a car trailor!

Users who are viewing this thread